Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Battlefield 3 High CPU Usage?

Last response: in CPUs
August 8, 2012 2:12:29 AM

So I just recently bought bf3 for my new gaming computer I built and I noticed that the cpu usage is usually around 70-80 percent when in-game. Is this a big issue? I believe my spec's are perfect to run the game and I haven't experienced any lag or anything else bad during the gameplay, except for an occasional beep noise, which is very rare and happens randomly. I'm a bit worried as I don't want my cpu to fry or anything bad like that lol... but I wanna make sure if this is an issue I need to pay attention to and how to solve it.

My Rig: Intel i5 3570k cpu
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
700 watt psu
Z77 mobo
and a 24 inch monitor if that helps :/ 

August 8, 2012 2:13:49 AM

I'm also using a stock cpu fan... Idk if that has anything to do with the usage...
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:14:08 AM

If you're getting that kinda usage during 64 mp then thats normal. My i5 2500K is about the same.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 2:14:29 AM

BF3 is a very system intensive game, its not particularly surprising no.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 2:18:35 AM

you're fine; buy a cooler and overclock it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 2:19:33 AM

BF3 multiplayer is well known for the CPU usage. U dun have to worry.
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:20:56 AM

Oh my lord thank goodness! I think I might've overreacted a bit lol! Hey but what about that beeping noise I heard? I don't remember when or where I hear it during the game.... but I also think the beep noise happened when I was looking for games on origin... (not exactly sure though)
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 2:28:59 AM

maybe specc'n what motherboard will help someone help you figure it out. but where does the beep come from?
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:30:07 AM

Hey I think I heard the same beep on my skype when I was talking to my friends? This is really odd and I'm feeling a bit worried now lol.... Its kind of a high pitched somewhat ear piercing beep. And my friend said he heard it too? He also said that my computer has always made that noise but he was ignoring it? This is weird as I have no clue what the beeping is coming from or what the heck it means......
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:36:13 AM

My motherboard is an MSI Z77 Motherboard.. I don't know the exact model.... And I have no clue where the beeping is coming from! this is honestly making me frustrated..... I hear it through my headphones but how the hell am i supposed to find out where its coming from???? Sorry if I was rude but this is getting a bit frustrating...
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:43:02 AM

I looked at the model number and I believe the mobo is a Z77A-G43....
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 3:03:36 AM

mrspidermonkey said:
My motherboard is an MSI Z77 Motherboard.. I don't know the exact model.... And I have no clue where the beeping is coming from! this is honestly making me frustrated..... I hear it through my headphones but how the hell am i supposed to find out where its coming from???? Sorry if I was rude but this is getting a bit frustrating...

That beep can be either from outside or inside Radio Frequency interference. It might even come from ur mobile phone. If you are using headphones and there is a mobile phone nearby, it might be the cause. Other then that, check the cable for any breakage.

Another possibility is that the chipset of ur mobo sound card have some defect.
m
l
August 8, 2012 4:43:13 AM

ttcboy said:
That beep can be either from outside or inside Radio Frequency interference. It might even come from ur mobile phone. If you are using headphones and there is a mobile phone nearby, it might be the cause. Other then that, check the cable for any breakage.

Another possibility is that the chipset of ur mobo sound card have some defect.

Yeah ok.... Umm I have my mobile phone near my desk and it is on I turned it off....
Not to be rude: but where did you get the idea that the beep would come from some sort of radio frequency interface and/or from my mobile phone.. That doesn't make much sense because I'm pretty sure my computer only gives off a signal for internet and not radio frequencies...
Another thing is: what the heck do you mean by check the cable for any breakage? What cable??
Last thing, again not to be rude but seriously what kind of defect might my chipset of the mobo sound card have? Not very specific.....

I'm trying to find where the beeping is coming from and what the hell is going on because it seems that I get random occasional beeps from bf3 when I switch maps or something of that sort.. And just now my friend has said that he's always heard some kind of beep coming from my comp on skype ever since I had my comp and headphones....

I'm beginning to think that it might be somekind of overheating issue with my cpu due to its usage being from around 65-90 percent during multiplayer games... It's mostly around 70 percent but once it got about to about 87-90 or somewhere in that range. Another thing to keep in mind though, which is a bit curious is that I haven't experienced any FPS lag/problems whatsoever so far with the time I have played this game...

This is a long post and I'm sure I can probably think of 2 or 3 more things to add, but I think one last important detail to include in this post is that I've owned bf3 for only a day. So my problems could possibly get worse :( 
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 4:47:05 AM

Where is this noise coming from EXACTLY?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 4:53:03 AM

well it could be from your motherboard speaker if you have it connected, or if it came connected already. not sure what the cause of it could be, but it could be your motherboard speaker. just unplug it, it should be at the bottom of your motherboard. it is just 2 wires connected to the motherboard and a black round speaker.

i have the bigger brother version of your motherboard, the Z77A GD55. i am not sure if it might be a heat warning, because my 3770k has never gotten above 60c OCd to 4.5GHz after running prime 95 for 12 hours. but i was extremely lucky and got a one in a million CPU. most IB chips have heat issues. it could be. check your temps with coretemp or even with CLICKBIOSII or ControlCenter within windows and run prime95 for a little while to see your temps.
m
l
August 8, 2012 5:15:38 AM

amuffin said:
Where is this noise coming from EXACTLY?

I'm honestly not sure where the noise is coming from :( 

It could either be from my comp or the noise could be coming through my headset.... but im pretty sure its through my comp.
m
l
August 8, 2012 5:22:02 AM

marshal11 said:
well it could be from your motherboard speaker if you have it connected, or if it came connected already. not sure what the cause of it could be, but it could be your motherboard speaker. just unplug it, it should be at the bottom of your motherboard. it is just 2 wires connected to the motherboard and a black round speaker.

i have the bigger brother version of your motherboard, the Z77A GD55. i am not sure if it might be a heat warning, because my 3770k has never gotten above 60c OCd to 4.5GHz after running prime 95 for 12 hours. but i was extremely lucky and got a one in a million CPU. most IB chips have heat issues. it could be. check your temps with coretemp or even with CLICKBIOSII or ControlCenter within windows and run prime95 for a little while to see your temps.

The motherboard speaker might actually be the problem... but the thing is, when i got the computer i had no clue what that part did so maybe if I plugged it in it might solve the beeping... but what does that speaker actually do because sound comes out of my headphones and monitor even without the mobo speaker...
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 2:18:47 PM

Quote:
Not to be rude: but where did you get the idea that the beep would come from some sort of radio frequency interface and/or from my mobile phone.. That doesn't make much sense because I'm pretty sure my computer only gives off a signal for internet and not radio frequencies...

Connecting to internet doesn't give off any radio signal, it's just a connection. If you use Wifi to connect to internet, yes it does give off signal and is uses radio frequency at either 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz.

If your speaker or headphone is not electromagnetically shielded, cellphone radiation can cross over to speaker or headphone and u can hear the a few continuous beeps sometimes especially during receiving calls or sms.

Quote:
Another thing is: what the heck do you mean by check the cable for any breakage? What cable??

Your headphone cable. If you use speaker (not the system speaker), then ur speaker cable.

Quote:
Last thing, again not to be rude but seriously what kind of defect might my chipset of the mobo sound card have? Not very specific.....

Only the technician from the mobo company can answer u on that after they do the check-up on ur board. No one from internet, not even ur local computer shop technicians do that.

Since you are not overclocking, max temp u might have even with the cpu at full load can go up to max of 50deg C and that is very far away from the thermal limit of 90deg C of 3570k. So, even if u run full load 24/7, ur CPU is far from any danger.

Last advice , Not to be rude but please watch the tone towards fellow forum users who took their time and effort to help you solve your problem :non:  . We are helping each other out because of our passion not because we owe anyone anything.
August 8, 2012 6:36:38 PM

ttcboy said:
Quote:

Connecting to internet doesn't give off any radio signal, it's just a connection. If you use Wifi to connect to internet, yes it does give off signal and is uses radio frequency at either 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz.

If your speaker or headphone is not electromagnetically shielded, cellphone radiation can cross over to speaker or headphone and u can hear the a few continuous beeps sometimes especially during receiving calls or sms.

Quote:

Your headphone cable. If you use speaker (not the system speaker), then ur speaker cable.

Quote:

Only the technician from the mobo company can answer u on that after they do the check-up on ur board. No one from internet, not even ur local computer shop technicians do that.

Since you are not overclocking, max temp u might have even with the cpu at full load can go up to max of 50deg C and that is very far away from the thermal limit of 90deg C of 3570k. So, even if u run full load 24/7, ur CPU is far from any danger.

Last advice , Not to be rude but please watch the tone towards fellow forum users who took their time and effort to help you solve your problem :non:  . We are helping each other out because of our passion not because we owe anyone anything.

Yeah I'm really sorry about my impatience and being rude...

But anyways I think I might've solved the beeping issue lol... turns out that the beeping from bf3 was when battlelog was updating the recent game that ended. And I think the beeping from skype was with my cellphone on my desk. I was charging the cellphone and it was on so that might've been conflicting with the headphone speaker thing. And thx for clarifiying what breakage was, that was useful but I just recently got these headphones aswell LOL

So I believe I solved the problem and I might get an aftermarket cpu fan just so It doesn't have a chance of overheating, even though its somewhat unlikely..

Thx again everyone :D 
m
l
August 8, 2012 6:37:51 PM

Best answer selected by mrspidermonkey.
m
l
!