Sign in with
Your question

Wiring help

Last response: in Components
August 8, 2012 2:44:11 AM

Hey guys I am transferring the components out of an old case into a new one. I have just about everything hooked up and have been trying for hours to troubleshoot on my own but I cannot figure this out. When I hit the power button it turns on for literally one second and turns off. All the fans and lights turn on briefly and then it shuts off and the sound of a quiet click comes from my psu. Literally nothing has changed as far as components go as I was on the pc this morning waiting for the new case to get here. What do you guys think is most likely the part I screwed up making it do this? I went as far as to extract the power on/off switch from my old case and plugged it into my mobo and using that to turn it on thinking I messed up the new wiring there.. but it still does the same thig.

More about : wiring

a c 151 ) Power supply
August 8, 2012 3:01:56 AM

Check to see that the motherboard isn't grounded out. One rather common mistake is to have too many standoffs behind the board. An unused one in the wrong spot can ground out the board.
If all looks good, start by bread boarding the system outside the case on an insulated surface. Connect just the CPU/HSF, PSU, Monitor, stick of RAM, and graphics card if no integrated video. See if it will start by shorting the two pins the pwr sw would plug into.
m
l
August 8, 2012 3:07:13 AM

Ok I will try taking it all apart and putting it together outside the case. What do you mean by standoffs? BTW, I am using a cooler master elite 430 case, my mobo is micro atx and the case is compatible. All the screws except one line up (screw isnt long enough unless I push down while screwing it in). If that matters at all.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 8, 2012 3:14:51 AM

standoffs are the part in the case those screws go into. Sometime there are extras in there for other size motherbds. make sure there are no extras that are under the motherbd.

often these standoffs have a small section on the top of them so the motherbd will 'lock in place' like a peg in a hole. perhaps you werent perfectly lined up.
m
l
a c 151 ) Power supply
August 8, 2012 3:17:51 AM

iroxxar1 said:
Ok I will try taking it all apart and putting it together outside the case. What do you mean by standoffs? BTW, I am using a cooler master elite 430 case, my mobo is micro atx and the case is compatible. All the screws except one line up (screw isnt long enough unless I push down while screwing it in). If that matters at all.

The fact that you had to press down on the board to get one screw started, leads me to believe something behind the board is pressing against it.
m
l
August 8, 2012 3:27:08 AM

clutchc u sir are a jeenyus. I set up the system on a cardboard box and it turned on and stayed on. now how should I go about stopping the grounding? is it from the mobo touching or the psu?
m
l
a c 151 ) Power supply
August 8, 2012 3:36:10 AM

Did you check for a foreign object behind the motherboard in the case that could be grounding it out? Look for that extra standoff in the wrong location. Something was holding the board up so you had to press down to start the screw.
m
l
August 8, 2012 3:40:15 AM

I wonder if it was my gpu.. it was a VERY tight fit and I had to use the screw on the gpu to get it into place on the back of the case. I will try a test without the gpu and get back to you.
m
l
August 8, 2012 4:13:52 AM

got it! part of my gpu backplate was touching the back of the case. grinded it down at bit and its workin like a charm now!
m
l
a c 151 ) Power supply
August 8, 2012 4:17:18 AM

I'm curious. What kind of case allows the graphics card to touch the back of the case? Is it a SFF case and it was touching the side? Can you post a pic?
m
l
August 8, 2012 4:59:16 AM

i have a galaxy gtx 550 ti 2gb and the backplate looks as if it was meant to be mounted outside the case. i had to cut off about a quarter inch of it to fit into my old case, took about an eighth inch off tonight to get it to fit
m
l
a c 151 ) Power supply
August 8, 2012 2:51:36 PM

iroxxar1 said:
heres a picture of it all set up:

http://postimage.org/image/ux8ef094x/

Couldn't tell much from the dark pic, but as long as you solved the issue... that's the main thing. Enjoy.
m
l
!