Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 25, 2012 6:48:53 PM

Hello all,
Long time reader of these forums, don't do much posting. I recently started thinking of upgrading my almost 4 year old Dell gaming computer, but then I spoke with some guildies in a game I play and they suggested building my own. I have never built one, but I am good with my hands, and can follow directions. Hope these two things combine to enable me to get this built.

I saw a form in a few other threads like mine, but don't know where to find it. I will just outline some of the things I saw in the form.

I would appreciate any help with a build list, and also a good guide to the software portion of the install. I read a few, but they seemed a bit old (2008). Thank you in advance.

- Looking to build in the next month or so, $1300-$1500 without the extra monitor. Can go higher if needed.
- Will be mainly for gaming, but also my home computer. A bit of web surfing, some Microsoft spreadsheet work, etc.
- I am looking to use 2 monitors with this system, currently only use 1.
- Will not need keyboard, mouse, 1 monitor. All other components are 3+ years old, not trying to reuse those.
- Very interested in using an SSD. All gaming benchmarks I see reflect much lower zoning times in games when used from SSD.

Thanks again, and cannot wait to see what this amazing community comes up with.

More about : building gaming setup

a b B Homebuilt system
April 25, 2012 11:22:33 PM

Depending on the pricing the Ivy Bridge 3750K may be the better opption than the SB 2500K. As the retail price is projected to be $212 the IB is a better chip, and can give you PCI 3.0 graphics.

A good Z77 mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi.... This will run $180.

8GB RAM 2133 @ $60.

Computer Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi.... @ $100

Good PSU (I suggest that you overbuy for future builds & multi GPUs): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi.... $150

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi.... $400

1 TB HDD $100.

I like the OCZ Synapse drive because it gives you SSD xpeed when combined with a HDD: $100.

Voila: my recommended build.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 25, 2012 11:34:28 PM

IB isn't better for overclocking. I'd go with an i5-2500k and either a Z77 Extreme4 or a Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (both ASRock, no real benefit to Z77, especially with SB).

I'd get 1600 RAM... anything more has diminishing returns.

Case: I'd go with the 400R (Corsair), personally. NZXT Phantom (green/black) is a sexy case if you're looking for that.

The PSU is overkill to the point where it's not even realistic. I did an eXtreme PSU calculation based on SLI 7870s (more on that later) and a hefty overclock, and got a recommendation of 692 watts... minimum of 642. That's with 30% capacitor aging, and a bunch of USB devices, HDDs, etc. That's why I would recommend the PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W Silver Rated PSU at like $110... it's got a $20 MIR, silver rated, and VERY reliable. Also 100W more than what you would need with Crossfired 7870s...

Which leads me to the GPU selection. MSI Twin Frozr II OC 7870... you won't regret it.

Make sure that the HDD is 7200rpm.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 12:07:40 AM

The 3750K has been evaluated to be 100 MHz faster than the 2500K and OC's comparably to the 2500K. The IB platform is not heads and shoulders over the SB, but it is an improvement.

There is better meemory management on the IB and the 2133 is worth the difference in price ($10) over the 1600.

The PSU is overkill: but not if you go to muiltiple GPUs.

With a SB processor you can't use PCI 3.0. So, if you stick with a SB look for discounted 6950's or 6970's.

A Synapse drive caching a 5400 RPM HDD will still give about 400 MBps performance.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 1:55:13 AM

The 3570k is running REALLY hot compared to SB.. sometimes even 20C (more)! Just read the stickied thread and posts at the top of the CPU section (started by me :whistle:  ).

Read what I wrote about the PSU one more time.

Current GPUs don't even use all of 2.0. But I agree, if you want to upgrade your GPU quite a bit farther down the line without upgrading your CPU/mobo (although I think you might want to at that point, I don't really know when they'll start using it, but probably not for at least a couple of years).

I'd really go with 7200rpm... like... really. It's still $100 (or $125, depending on how high quality you want it. I think they are all basically fine, just make sure you double check with us). Why get a great CPU, GPU, etc. and cheap out on the HDD?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
April 26, 2012 8:36:43 AM

$1300 is a lot of money and can get you superb system. Here's what I might get myself with $1300 today: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7lsU

When it's released consider going with the IB i5.

What I have there is a 2500K, HD7870 and a 240 GB SSD for a superb all round computing experience ;) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 12:17:46 PM

Your 7870 is MSI Twin Frozr II OC, right? Should be... great manufacturer ;) 
(I'm having trouble with links right now. Sorry I can't actually look)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
April 26, 2012 12:42:54 PM

No, it was Asus but I think they're the same price so the OP is free to choose whichever ;) 
m
l
April 26, 2012 4:39:07 PM

Thank you all, I knew this community would have suggestions.

I sent the set up from Finneous to a friend to take a quick look. Would you all mind weighing in on his thoughts?

- Upgrade to the 2500K 3.6 MHz
- The aftermarket cooler is unnecessary if the case is well vented.
- 16 Megs of RAM instead of 8
- He works in IT and the Seagate Barracuda has failure issues. He suggests any 7500 rpm will do?
- Upgrading to a 700 W Power supply for future Crossfire/Sli

Thanks for the additional comments.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
April 26, 2012 4:53:51 PM

conman_37 said:
Thank you all, I knew this community would have suggestions.

I sent the set up from Finneous to a friend to take a quick look. Would you all mind weighing in on his thoughts?

- Upgrade to the 2500K 3.6 MHz
- The aftermarket cooler is unnecessary if the case is well vented.
- 16 Megs of RAM instead of 8
- He works in IT and the Seagate Barracuda has failure issues. He suggests any 7500 rpm will do?
- Upgrading to a 700 W Power supply for future Crossfire/Sli

Thanks for the additional comments.

There's no such thing as a 2500K 3.6 MHz. First, it's GHz... :lol:  Second, there's only one 2500K.

Only if you will not overclock.

Again, modern computers have RAM in the Gigabyte range... :lol:  Not needed for gaming/normal use.

Any 7200 rpm is better than a Seagate? No, I don't think so. Some are, I'm sure.

The 650W is enough for 7870 crossfire as they use very little power. However a 700-750W wouldn't hurt.
m
l
April 26, 2012 5:07:11 PM

I told you all this is German to me...and I don't speak German. :pt1cable: 

I don't think I will overclock it...baby steps here.

Great, thanks for the added input. I think I have my build.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
April 26, 2012 5:10:40 PM

Yeah, if you're not overclocking you can (should) save the price of the cooler.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 10:09:20 PM

Hold on, if you're not overclocking, get an ASRock Pro3 Gen3 mobo (or something else like it. Extreme isn't needed since you're not overlocking, or you could ditch Z68/Z77 altogether), an i5-2400 (best deal for non-overclockers), and ditch the CPU cooler.

8GB is RAM is enough for anyone that's not doing video editing. I'm on 1GB, and while I do have to close things when I play certain games, my computer still runs fine with games (not like BF3, but like BP4F).
m
l
!