Sign in with
Your question

First Build

Last response: in Systems
April 25, 2012 8:13:23 PM

Hey All,
My laptop is totally out of date and so it is going to be time to upgrade soon. I love to mobility of my laptop, but lets face it, it will never outstrip a tower for sheer power, longevity, and upgradability. Thusly, I will be building a tower for my next computer. I do a lot of stuff on my computer, but I am largely a gamer. I have done research and put together the components I am thinking of getting, but would like input from people who have more experience building. I have a lot of experience using comptuters, and have helped one of my friends on several builds, but this will be my first solo effort.

Cooler Master HAF 932 AMD edition case (Already owned, got it on sale)
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel ATX mobo
Intel Core i5-2550k Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad-core processor
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0x16 Video Card
Corsair Vengeance 16GB memory (2x8GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600
Western Digital WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal HD
Corsair Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V Power Supply
Pioneer 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache BD/DVD/CD writer

Custom Water cooling system for CPU, GPU, and Northbridge (still in the works)

More about : build

April 25, 2012 8:17:52 PM

Unless you really need the extra features of the deluxe, just get the V LE. For gaming, you are literally wasting $ getting 16GB as games only make use of 4-6GB of RAM and will do so for 5+ years. Get 8GB of RAM. No need for a WC setup unless you plan to OC to super high levels, such as 5 GHz. Anything over 4.5 GHz gives minimal fps benefits. Drop down the Processor. You do not need 100 MHz extra, especially if it means losing IGP for troubleshooting purposes (unless you have a spare GPU to troubleshoot with). For GPU, I would not recommend the GTX 580 anymore. The Radeon 7950 is a lot better and uses less power. You would only need a 650W XFX Core PSU.
m
l
April 25, 2012 8:22:00 PM

Also check out the GTX 480 if you like Nvidia (EVGA) products. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Reviews say card runs hot, but there are also not any 1 egg reviews. So the card running hot can't be that big of an issue. Many reviewers also report normal load temps. And I agree that you need to just get 2x4GB sticks and be done with it concerning RAM.

The GTX 480 does however suck a lot of power...
m
l
!