Initial ideas for a system build

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi, I was hoping to build my own PC at some point next year, and was looking at initial schematics for doing so. I'm doing it not long after Christmas (when I've got my wonga together) and so I can assume I won't be seeing maxwell, the AMD 8000 series DDR4 or the next significant intel upgrade, or they'll be too damn expensive for me. As well as that, ivy bridge doesn't seem worth the extra money as a gaming CPU. With that in mind, I'm working on something along this basis (with a degree of flexibility if something good comes up in the next few years).

CPU: i5 2500k. (How shocking.)

Cooler: stock cooler.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/z68xp-ud3-dz68db,review-32228.html

Ram: 8GB 1333mhz from one of the many contenders

Hard drive: the cheapest 7200rpm 750GB hard drive I can find, hopefully with a decent 32/64GB cache.

GPU: this will be highly dependant on how much money I can garner.
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that it's a GTX 680, so any bottlenecking potential of the CPU can be noticed.

Case: Whatever will fit and add a decent airflow.

PSU: This is also dependant on other parts, how many wires I need, of what type and the watts needed, but probably something mid range.

PARTS I'LL BE ADDING LATER:

SSD: as soon as possible.
Crucial M4 128GB
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/m4-ssd-capacity-comparison,review-32243.html

CPU cooler upgrade: one which will allow for overclocking to eliminate CPU bottlenecks/extend its lifespan.

SLI/Crossfire arrangement: for when the GPU shows it age.
I'll also be replacing the PSU from a 450-650W at this time to a more powerful one that can support crossfire/SLI.

I know it's all a bit vague at the moment, but I just want to check that this isn't terrible and that I haven't totally screwed myself over. I'm knew ya see, so I want to make sure I get it right.

All your choices are solid, especially the GTX 680. For the Case, I personally recommend the Corsair Carbide 500R. I have it and it is simply amazing and easy to use. All the parts in the case are tool-free, like the HDD trays, side panel and front panel. It has holes for routing cables behind the motherboard tray. It comes with a 200mm side panel fan, and 3 120mm fans for optimal airflow. 2 of the 120mm fans are in the front of the case in front of the HDD trays to keep your Hard Drives cool, and one is for exhaust. It has a 3-switch fan controller for low-med-high and USB 3.0 ports in the front. The screws on the side panels are attached so they never get lost.

For the PSU, 850W is what I recommend to SLI GTX 680s. I recommend the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK 850W 80+ SILVER for $100.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Thanks, that sounds very useful.

I'll probably start with a less powerful PSU though, and switch to better one if I go crossfire/SLI. I might want to clarify that in the OP. Thanks all, that's V useful.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

True, but I'm only going to have a limited supply of money at any one time. So I won't buy something unless I need it.

RAM: Corsair Vengance 8GB kit (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

PSU: Corsair AX-750, this will probably be the most expensive part of the build, except if you go with a 680 GPU.

Case: Antec Three Hundred Two

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3, any size.