Solved

Must a non-gaming PC case have fans?

I am building a new system primarily for video and photo editing and everyday multi-tasking use (streaming, surfing, email, watching DVDs, and so on).
I am also interested in getting into some gaming in the future (no need for discrete video card now). For now I want a quiet system.
I am thinking i5/i7 IV bridge CPU , ASUS P8Z77 type MOBO, maybe SeaSonic 620W PSU.

Finding a good case has given me a lot of headaches. I have read reviews and seen youtube videos on Obsidian 550D, Carbide 300R, Antec 900, P280, Fractal Design Define Mini, Arc Mini, and a number of other cases. I don't mind if the case is a bit large, but don't want it noisy. All the cases I have mentioned have multiple fans.
Do I need to be running all those fans? Do I really need these fans for my applications? Will these cases be loud? I know 550D and P280 are supposed to be quiet, but won't they lack good ventilation?

BTW, I know that if I bought a Dell XPS 8500 with i7 and 8G RAM, it would handle all that I want to do (without future gaming), and I have seen an XPS and the case doesn't have any front fans or even exhaust fans. Does this mean that fans are for over-clockers and gamers?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about must gaming case fans
  1. From what I've heard, it's not the case itself that makes noise, but the fans. Ergo, if you want a quiet pc, just buy quiet fans. Recently, when I did a build of my own, I chose really cheap fans from deepcool, they were something like 5 dollars for each and they were supposed to be "ultra-quiet", however once my case accommodated six of them (each rated at 20 db) the pc became quite noisy. What would I Change if I was building the PC now? I would have bought only 3 fans, but they would have been more expensive and quieter. Take a look at Noctua. IMO their fans are overpriced, but performance and looks wise - they are astonishing. Bottom line is simply think how much fans do you really need and read reviews and roundups, like this one:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/09/28/what-s-the-best-case-fan/6

Oh, and if you won't be gaming, then one or two fans OMO will be just enough.
    Good luck with your build ;)
  2. I guess my question is do I need fans if I don't play PC games?
  3. Best answer
    Video editing is more process intensive than most games, so I would say yes you need a case fan if you want to keep everything cool.
  4. Best answer selected by PC420.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gaming Cases Components