Replacing Bootdrive Complication

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantjustquit

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm reinstalling Windows 7 onto my 32GB OCZ SSD boot drive. In addition to that drive, I have a 1TB media drive and a 1TB drive that holds my user files as well as all my programs. I can't seem to figure out how to ensure that all the short cuts for the programs and data for the user file will run smoothly on the fresh install.

Is there anything I should do before nuking the SSD and anything additional that I should do after the install or just treat it like a fresh SSD/HDD install but use the already existing user data?

Thanks

tl/dr: Reinstall windows on boot drive (SSD) and retain users folder/program files on separate HDD?

edit: creating a clone image and using that won't work here, the actual OS files are bad

Solution
If you reinstall windows, you'll also need to reinstall your programs, even if those programs are on a separate drive. "Installing" a program updates key windows files and registry entries, and those settings will be wiped out by the Windows reinstall.
If you reinstall windows, you'll also need to reinstall your programs, even if those programs are on a separate drive. "Installing" a program updates key windows files and registry entries, and those settings will be wiped out by the Windows reinstall.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.