Replace raid 0 2 x 500 gb hdd setup to single 1 tb hdd setup

milnercr

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Hello,
I have a raid 0 1 TB (2x500GB HDDs). One of the HDDs is damaged and I want to replace the raid 0 setup with just one 1 TB HDD? How can this get accomplished?

You didn't mention what drives, or what motherboard, so I'll generalize.

So you've lost use of the PC? I assume so if one drive is "damaged." So you'l have to reinstall everthing: OS, programs, games. All is lost if you didn't backup!

First, you need to get a 1TB hard drive. I suggest Samsung SpinPoint F3 7200rpm 1TB. Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 is another choice. Try newegg.com

Second, during BIOS post, enter the RAID setup and remove the disks from the array. How to do this varies, on mine during RAID post I enter <Ctrl>+<I>.

Then enter your BIOS and set the SATA ports from RAID to ACHI.

Then install the new drive. Boot to make sure BIOS sees it correctly, it should. Set the boot order the HDD first, then optical drive second.

Then install the OS, via the CD/DVD.

Anything other than that, ask.

milnercr

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Sorry for the late response...TDY! Anyway thanks for your info. My Motherboard is a EVGA X58 SLI LE in a CORSAIR Obsidian 800D series case. Any additional info is you have any would be gratefully appreciated. Again thanks loads for your previous information. Have a great day.