trying to put my docments icon back on windows xp desktop

Hi all,
I found an article showing the registry entries that show the my documents
icon on the desktop in XP. I want to run a registry script to put the icon
back on the desktop for my users. I have setup a .reg file containing the
registry entries and have added it to my logon scripts folder. As
administrator, it works when I logon to the computer but when I logon to
computer under a user it acts as if it ran the script with no errors but does
not add the icon to the desktop. Do I need to run the script as
administrator? If so, how do I setup the
regedit.exe mydocs.reg to be ran as the administrator in the script when
the user logs on? Or is this even the problem?
Thanks in advance ,
Sher
3 answers Last reply
More about trying docments icon back windows desktop

    How would we know? You are adding a secret key to the registry and it doesn't work. Try a non secret key.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Sher" <Sher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE583B99-7DB1-4474-868E-44127FABF055@microsoft.com...
    > Hi all,
    > I found an article showing the registry entries that show the my documents
    > icon on the desktop in XP. I want to run a registry script to put the icon
    > back on the desktop for my users. I have setup a .reg file containing the
    > registry entries and have added it to my logon scripts folder. As
    > administrator, it works when I logon to the computer but when I logon to
    > computer under a user it acts as if it ran the script with no errors but does
    > not add the icon to the desktop. Do I need to run the script as
    > administrator? If so, how do I setup the
    > regedit.exe mydocs.reg to be ran as the administrator in the script when
    > the user logs on? Or is this even the problem?
    > Thanks in advance ,
    > Sher

    I'm not quite sure what you mean by secret key?
    Sher

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > How would we know? You are adding a secret key to the registry and it doesn't work. Try a non secret key.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Sher" <Sher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE583B99-7DB1-4474-868E-44127FABF055@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi all,
    > > I found an article showing the registry entries that show the my documents
    > > icon on the desktop in XP. I want to run a registry script to put the icon
    > > back on the desktop for my users. I have setup a .reg file containing the
    > > registry entries and have added it to my logon scripts folder. As
    > > administrator, it works when I logon to the computer but when I logon to
    > > computer under a user it acts as if it ran the script with no errors but does
    > > not add the icon to the desktop. Do I need to run the script as
    > > administrator? If so, how do I setup the
    > > regedit.exe mydocs.reg to be ran as the administrator in the script when
    > > the user logs on? Or is this even the problem?
    > > Thanks in advance ,
    > > Sher

    You are asking why something that only you have seen isn't working.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Sher" <Sher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5998CD1-9FBF-48ED-9C93-AB1887961EC7@microsoft.com...
    > I'm not quite sure what you mean by secret key?
    > Sher
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> How would we know? You are adding a secret key to the registry and it doesn't work. Try a non secret key.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Sher" <Sher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE583B99-7DB1-4474-868E-44127FABF055@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi all,
    >> > I found an article showing the registry entries that show the my documents
    >> > icon on the desktop in XP. I want to run a registry script to put the icon
    >> > back on the desktop for my users. I have setup a .reg file containing the
    >> > registry entries and have added it to my logon scripts folder. As
    >> > administrator, it works when I logon to the computer but when I logon to
    >> > computer under a user it acts as if it ran the script with no errors but does
    >> > not add the icon to the desktop. Do I need to run the script as
    >> > administrator? If so, how do I setup the
    >> > regedit.exe mydocs.reg to be ran as the administrator in the script when
    >> > the user logs on? Or is this even the problem?
    >> > Thanks in advance ,
    >> > Sher

Configuration Desktops Registry Windows XP