Pixelated screen awaking from sleep

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Hi all
my wife's computer runs an E6750, recently increased the RAM to 6GB and reinstalled windows7 to 64 bit.
She is encountering a problem in which everytime you wake the computer from sleep, the screen is blurry/pixelated. It requires a reboot and everything is back to normal.
I've tried uninstalling the video card driver and re-installing it again (it's an old Radeon 3850)

any suggestions? is this video card related or perhaps more to do with the OS?

Thanks!

markwiese

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Hi cpulord1!

I have just starting experiencing exactly the same problem with my Radeon HD 3850 AGP card. It had been sleeping fine up until yesterday when I installed a new PSU. I suspect that either the Radeon is no longer sitting in the slot properly, or the issue is being caused by the PCI-E power being supplied to the card by the new PSU (something to do with re-powering when it wakes). I intend to remove and re-seat all RAM, remove & re-seat the AGP card, and to test powering the AGP card with another PSU. It was working fine before the change so I'm sure I can get it back to working properly again.

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Hrmmm
Interestingly when woken up from sleep it consistently shows the pixelated screen...but if you leave it to go to sleep, the second time it comes back normal!?

sooo confused :eek:

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
ACTUALLY
it's quite strange....I don't even have to wait for it to sleep a 2nd time....if I wait until the monitor goes back to sleep, it comes back fine!
Turning the monitor on/off doesn't work.

what the heck is going on!!??

markwiese

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I tried re-seating the Radeon and the RAM but neither helped. What I did discover is that when the graphics have become corrupt you can fix it by going into Catalyst -> Digital Flatpanel Properties and checking 'Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays'. Strangely this works whereas adjusting the refresh rate or resolution has no effect!

Your 'monitor sleeping' find is very interesting. It actually fits with my PSU theory because you're saying that if the computer itself goes to sleep then it wakes up with the corruption, but if only the Radeon is put to sleep then it wakes up fine. The difference here being which systems were with/without power before being woken. I will have to try an alternate PSU next.

tstein27

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Same problem....if I turn the monitor off and then back on it usually solves the problem. New HP computer running W7 64, Radeon HD 7560D graphics, old HP w19b monitor, all drivers updated and everything comes back as running properly.

ocelot1

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I have the exact same problem. After waking the pc I had this blurry and pixelated Screen, I tried to change the resolution to see if its gonna help but my display goes black and evrything shuts down like when music is playing(spotify, winamp) but the pc is still on. After reseting the system everything is fine...