Sign in with
Your question

Ati Radeon HD 4870 - Problem to find/install drivers.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2012 11:41:14 PM

Hello all,

Today i got the model : At Radeon HD 4870

I dont have the CD to install the drivers. I tried to search for them at the web and i find the official site:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I donwloaded the Radeon HD 4xxx Series i tried to install but in the middle of the installation i got black screen and it remains there.. i wait about 30 minutes and nonthing.. so i had to restart the pc. Any idea? Any other link? Someone could upload the drivers from the CD?
February 18, 2012 2:10:46 AM

The drivers on the CD aren't anything spectacular. They are usually older versions of the drivers on their sites. Just try some older drivers and see if they work. If not the problem is with a component in your PC or simply with your GPU.
a b \ Driver
February 18, 2012 2:55:18 AM

Well, most probably no other drivers are going to help you out.
Something is wrong with the card or then with the rig.
Where did you buy the card from? Why was there no disc with it? maybe you got conned?
What card were you using before this? or what graphics drivers were installed on the rig before this? what are the specs of your rig?
Answer all these and we might be able to help you.
Related resources
February 18, 2012 3:06:03 AM

alyoshka said:
Well, most probably no other drivers are going to help you out.
Something is wrong with the card or then with the rig.
Where did you buy the card from? Why was there no disc with it? maybe you got conned?
What card were you using before this? or what graphics drivers were installed on the rig before this? what are the specs of your rig?
Answer all these and we might be able to help you.

Might not entirely be that other drivers may not help. Sometimes certain drivers just don't work well with a GPU. Happened to me. But yes, if the GPU didn't even come with a CD then you got screwed. Or the card might be refurbished and not all the parts are there. Take it back to your retailer or whichever fish market you bought it from. :na: 
February 18, 2012 1:05:47 PM

The graphics card is working fine!

My friend gave it to me because he bought a new one, but he have lost the cd.

Before this card i was using a nvidia one 256mb.

Here some stats that i managed to take:
February 18, 2012 1:21:39 PM

System specs?
February 18, 2012 1:25:49 PM

February 18, 2012 1:51:00 PM

So the only issue you have is downloading a new driver? If it's working fine then you shouldn't change anything much.
a b \ Driver
February 18, 2012 2:01:53 PM

Before you install or try to do anything with the new card, go back to the card or onboard GPU/IGP you were using and run Memtest.
Give us a feedback here.

Then use driversweeper to remove the Nvidia components completely from the rig. After that install the ATI Card and try to install the drivers.

ATI & Nvidia don't get along to well, even on the driver presence level.
February 18, 2012 5:07:52 PM

I dont know what is memtest and how to use it.

Driver sweeper i can find the link but what could i do with it?
February 18, 2012 5:21:15 PM

Driver Sweeper will let you remove the drivers installed for your old nVidia card.
February 18, 2012 5:50:34 PM

I used it delete all nvidia drivers , restarted the pc.

Tried again to install ATI DRIVERS and got stucked with a black screen.. and it stays there. ;/ I am lost.
a b \ Driver
February 19, 2012 2:06:29 AM

Did you uninstall all the ATI stuff too before you tried to install drivers or just the Nvidia drivers?
!