Creating Partitions in XP Pro

Noted in a book and the Help files that it appears possible to partition off
a large hard drive into smaller partitions/volumes using the Computer
Management Console.

I am currently running a new computer with one 160G SATRA drive. Is it
easily possible for me to break this into 2 or more drives while keeping
current data and NTFS? Currently utilzing about 7.5G.

Did XP Pro include something like Partion Magic? Or, am I reading this wrong.

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about creating partitions

    XP's DiskPart utility is capable of only partitioning a hard drive that is empty
    or has "unallocated" free space.
    For example, if you were to install a new second drive, DiskPart can be
    used to partition and format it. DiskPart cannot segregate current files from
    free space, therefore, only a sophisticated third-party partitioning program,
    such as Partition Magic 8 , can be used with a drive that already has Windows XP
    installed.

    The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
    and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
    a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

    The alternative is to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP:

    How to Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Lexus" wrote:

    | Noted in a book and the Help files that it appears possible to partition off
    | a large hard drive into smaller partitions/volumes using the Computer
    | Management Console.
    |
    | I am currently running a new computer with one 160G SATRA drive. Is it
    | easily possible for me to break this into 2 or more drives while keeping
    | current data and NTFS? Currently utilzing about 7.5G.
    |
    | Did XP Pro include something like Partion Magic? Or, am I reading this wrong.
    |
    | Thanks.

Configuration Windows XP