ATI vs Nvidia

I have an HP Pavilion a6110n desktop I’m going to upgrade. The original is without a graphics card but I want to install one in the upgrade.

Original specifications for this machine are:

Motherboard:
Asus M2N68-LA
HP/Compaq name: Narra2-GL8E

Chipset:
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.3 GHz Dual-Core AM2 Socket

Ram:
4gb 240-pin DDR2 PC2-4200 (533 MHz)

GPU:
N/A

Proposed upgrade:

Motherboard:
ASRock UCC N68C-S UCC

Chipset:
NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X2 B53 - 2.8 GHz Dual-Core AM3 Socket

RAM:
8gb 240-pin DDR3 PC3-8500 (1066MHz)

GPU:
?

Can an ATI card be installed in this new system or should I stick with Nvidia? :sol:
36 answers Last reply
More about nvidia
  1. leejay803 said:
    I have an HP Pavilion a6110n desktop I’m going to upgrade. The original is without a graphics card but I want to install one in the upgrade.

    Original specifications for this machine are:

    Motherboard:
    Asus M2N68-LA
    HP/Compaq name: Narra2-GL8E

    Chipset:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

    CPU:
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.3 GHz Dual-Core AM2 Socket

    Ram:
    4gb 240-pin DDR2 PC2-4200 (533 MHz)

    GPU:
    N/A

    Proposed upgrade:

    Motherboard:
    ASRock UCC N68C-S UCC

    Chipset:
    NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a

    CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X2 B53 - 2.8 GHz Dual-Core AM3 Socket

    RAM:
    8gb 240-pin DDR3 PC3-8500 (1066MHz)

    GPU:
    ?

    Can an ATI card be installed in this new system or should I stick with Nvidia? :sol:

    I'm thinking about this Card.... GeForce 7600 GS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/512

    Thoughts?
  2. I guess 6670? Or 6770 perhaps?
  3. You're upgrading from a crappy pc to another crappy pc.
  4. leejay803 said:
    I'm thinking about this Card.... GeForce 7600 GS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/512

    Thoughts?

    thats a really crappy gpu and won't even do hd video well.
  5. if you switch the motherboard the OS license will be invalid and it will not activate. The PSU may need upgraded as well. you're really in a situation where you might as well start from the ground up. there's a form around here in the new build forum you can fill out. if you have some sort of budget we may be able to come up with something. maybe an APU build
  6. Your cpu upgrade is inadequate your only increasing clock speed by a minimal amount.

    Your gpu choice is not adequate for gaming.

    How much are you spending on this upgrade?
    What is your budget?
    What do you want to do with your PC?
    IF gaming what games do you want to play and at what settings?
    What is your monitor resolution?
  7. your only option is a card from nVidia since the motherboard won't play nice with an ATI option....you have a x16 PCI express slot on there, if your power supply can take it, i would recommend the nVidia GTX 560ti....good luck
  8. Dude, they're right.

    You're going to need to drop about $60 on a "new" AM3 mobo, $70 on a 3.2ghz 3core (or something better) and around $100 on a decent GPU if you want to play games on your PC.

    and that's a basic gaming rig, but it WILL play BF3...and that's all you need :D
  9. leejay803 said:
    I'm thinking about this Card.... GeForce 7600 GS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/512

    Thoughts?


    For the specs on the upgrades your going to be doing I would say a AMD 6770 or GTx550ti .
  10. ati hd 6770 will be a good choice for that setup.:)


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102940
  11. internetswag said:
    You're upgrading from a crappy PC to another crappy pc.

    Just for the record I'm new to this stuff and i know it will take a bit to build a dream machine of my choice (or not). Since i have half the hardware on an exciting PC for now i just want to up the performance a little....learn as i go you know?
    :??:

    I'm not much into gaming but would like to have a reasonably good card for video watching. Something better than i have now.

    :sol:
  12. unksol said:
    if you switch the motherboard the OS license will be invalid and it will not activate. The PSU may need upgraded as well. you're really in a situation where you might as well start from the ground up. there's a form around here in the new build forum you can fill out. if you have some sort of budget we may be able to come up with something. maybe an APU build

    I'm upgrading psu also from 250 to THERMALTAKE TR2-430 (430w). as far as OS i will likely either clean install with vista ultimate or 7 pro.
    I will look into the new build forum though...thanks unksol!
    :)
  13. internetswag said:
    You're upgrading from a crappy pc to another crappy pc.


    that about sums it up
  14. thesnappyfingers said:
    Your cpu upgrade is inadequate your only increasing clock speed by a minimal amount.

    Your gpu choice is not adequate for gaming.

    How much are you spending on this upgrade?
    What is your budget?
    What do you want to do with your PC?
    IF gaming what games do you want to play and at what settings?
    What is your monitor resolution?

    i am on a stricked budget for now so <300. again it is only to up the perormance to a machine i hardly use....a gunnie pig so to speak :kaola:
    my intent is mostly for office and video viewing. the monito i use is an HP 2010i w/1600 x 900
  15. skrinkaman said:
    For the specs on the upgrades your going to be doing I would say a AMD 6770 or GTx550ti .

    Thanks for the suggestions skrinkaman! :)
  16. I suggest u buy a new pc take a new gigabyte SLI enabled ddr3 it shouldnt be too costly
  17. Don't buy a Thermaltake PSU. If you want a unit that will last any decent amount of time, go with Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Silverstone, or OCZ... going with cheap power supplies will only shorten the life of everything else in your system.
  18. If hes using it for non gaming things, as he stated he is several times, his crappy PC should be enough with a very cheap newer gen vid card. 6770 would fit the bill.
  19. nebun said:
    your only option is a card from nVidia since the motherboard won't play nice with an ATI option....you have a x16 PCI express slot on there, if your power supply can take it, i would recommend the nVidia GTX 560ti....good luck


    Spoken like a true fanboi, I applaud you sir.
  20. nebun said:
    your only option is a card from nVidia since the motherboard won't play nice with an ATI option....you have a x16 PCI express slot on there, if your power supply can take it, i would recommend the nVidia GTX 560ti....good luck

    A 560ti? With that?! He needs something more along the lines of a 6670 than anything. And please, at least try to make your bias a little less obvious next time. There's no relation between motherboard and GPU manufacturer whatsoever; don't tell people they 'need' an nVidia card because they have a motherboard with an nVidia-based chipset.
  21. Agreed with matt on PSU choices, and GPU as well.
    nVidias chipsets work just fine with AMD, if they didnt, they would be inferior to AMDs chipsets, as AMDs chipsets also work fine with nVidia cards
  22. MOBO $110.00- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157279&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Motherboards%20-%20Intel-_-ASRock-_-13157279&AID=10440897&PID=3938566&SID=
    CPU $93.00- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LLBBSS/?tag=pcpapi-20
    GPU- 120.00 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16814125353

    Total cost is roughly 320.00 after mail in rebates. The hd 6850 will give you better gaming performance compared to the 6770. If you have a Microcenter near by you can upgrade to a i3-2100 for roughly the same price of the g860 (99.99 plus tax).

    I have read that Microcenter often sells mobos and cpus together for cheap as well. However, I don't know from first hand experience as there are none near where I live.

    You could save some money by by opting for a h61 motherboard which are pretty cheap roughly 70 dollars. The h61 motherboards will serve you fine.

    EDIT- whoops forgot about memory and psu, so you might want to disregard this upgrade suggestion, unless you can scrape up 40.00 for the memory, and around 60.00 for a psu.
  23. The snappy fingers has a real good suggestion. You won't really feel a difference on performance with an upgrade from 4GB to 8GB, unless you game or encode. See performance bumps are exponential only. 1GB-2GB is a 200% bump, 2GB-4GB is a 75-100% bump, 4GB-8GB is like a 35-50% bump. You won't feel it if you don't use applications that use more than that...

    Go with a http://amzn.to/wuXZLU

    You can pick up a http://amzn.to/z4aOeS. Right there you got a cheap yet sick setup for like 360-370!

    And here you can get the GPU even cheaper! http://bit.ly/ztBCr0
  24. get a new rig.
  25. @Freshbuilder

    He only has like $300 to spend and now instead of buying a few parts, now must buy a freaking whole computer!?! Bring something positive and constructive to the forums bud.
  26. freshbuilder said:
    get a new rig.

    well then it defeats the purpose and joy of learning how to build your own rig don't you think?
  27. leejay803 said:
    well then it defeats the purpose and joy of learning how to build your own rig don't you think?


    Maybe, but its more frustrating to try and build something you cant for $300.
  28. armored said:
    @Freshbuilder

    He only has like $300 to spend and now instead of buying a few parts, now must buy a freaking whole computer!?! Bring something positive and constructive to the forums bud.

    thanks armored and thanks to everyone else! i pretty much have what i need for my upgrade just waiting for a heat-sink and fan.

    I will post what i used for the up grade i felt comfortable with. and certainly update you on the results,
  29. vrumor said:
    Maybe, but its more frustrating to try and build something you cant for $300.

    I hear you? right now i can though. i just don't know if it will work :D.. such fun!!! :bounce:
  30. to the op,

    I would not spend 300.00 dollars on an 'upgrade' to that particular system. You should not get a new mobo simply for 4gbs of ram and 500mhz cpu upgrade.

    I advise that you purchase a hd 6850 or a 6770 or a 6870 and then simply overclock your cpu.

    the upgrade path that you have chosen is poor in terms of funds allocation. It is wiser to simply purchase a GPU, and then save money for a new system.

    furthermore, you do not really need to upgrade considering your intended purposes is simply for video viewing and web browsing. You do not need much gpu or cpu power for those applications. I assumed it was for gaming.
  31. thesnappyfingers said:
    to the op,

    I would not spend 300.00 dollars on an 'upgrade' to that particular system. You should not get a new mobo simply for 4gbs of ram and 500mhz cpu upgrade.

    I advise that you purchase a hd 6850 or a 6770 or a 6870 and then simply overclock your cpu.

    the upgrade path that you have chosen is poor in terms of funds allocation. It is wiser to simply purchase a GPU, and then save money for a new system.

    furthermore, you do not really need to upgrade considering your intended purposes is simply for video viewing and web browsing. You do not need much gpu or cpu power for those applications. I assumed it was for gaming.

    I understand, but again my first build? I did change my mind on my original ida of upgrade my HP. Well i decided to just build new but utilizing some hardware from the HP, HDD and optical drives. I have also included a floppy drive to transfer data from old floppies to CD or what ever.

    My new build consists of:

    CASE= Cooler Master HAF912
    MOBO= ASRock N68C-S UCC /NVIDIa GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a chipset
    CPU= 2.8ghz AMD Phenom II X2 B53 Dual-Core Socket AM2+ / AM3
    RAM= (x2) KVR1066D3N7/Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
    HDD= 320gb Samsung
    PSU= Thermaltake TR2 430W
    GPU= AMD Radeon HD6570 Silent
    OS= Vista Ultimate 64 bit

    Thanks to you i have got allot of feedback and i know its not what you all would call a "RIG" that you would consider, but under the circumstances i enjoyed doing it.
  32. Have you completed this build then? or do you still have to purchase the parts?
  33. thesnappyfingers said:
    Have you completed this build then? or do you still have to purchase the parts?

    Yes I have completed my build. The only thing i changed from my list is that I'm using windows 7 ultimate instead of vista.

    My motherboard has a feature for unlocking CPU and i have unlocked my phenom ll x2 B53 to a athlon ll x4 553. I also have an overclock feature with this motherboard but not yet made an attempt.
  34. wat do u mean by unlocked my phenom II ?
  35. pazdindalal said:
    wat do u mean by unlocked my phenom II ?

    in my system i have an amd phenom ll x2 b53 CPU, known as a duel core. this particular CPU was designed with four cores having two of them disabled. Unlocking them allowed me to enable the other two. now it is as if was an Athlon ll x4 553 CPU, quad core.
  36. cant really help any further now that is complete. Hope it was fun building.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Nvidia Graphics Product