Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power Needed for 2 HIS 6850 Ice Q, crossfired

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2012 1:18:31 AM

Hello,

I am wanting to upgrade my PC's GPU. I have been aggravated with all the different so called power supply calculators. I have been given many different readouts and was curious to get some opinions from others.

PC Hardware:

- AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T 2.8GHZ
- 750GB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM
- GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 2 WAYS AM3 870 D
- HIS H685QN1GD RADEON 6850 ICEQ X 1GB
- KILLER XENO PRO HIGH SPEED NETWORK
- 1 Samsung Blue Ray Player
- 8 GB 1600 Corsair Dominator Ram (2x4gb)
- 3-4 USB devices ( Megladon Headset, Naga Mouse, G10 Keyboard, gamepad)
- 5 120 MM case Fans
- XTREMEGEAR 700 WATT POWER SUPPLY

I have slowly been upgrading this PC from when I bought it from Cyberpower PC. The power supply I understand is an off brand and the components are not top grade.

I wish to add another HIS 6850 IceQ x 1GB.

Would adding another GPU be able to run safely with my current power supply? I have used a few calculators however I have gotten readings from 650 - 800 watts req.

Can anyone Help? >(^_^)> thanks ahead of time <(^_^)<
February 18, 2012 2:14:25 AM

That should be enough. The recommended power for running two of my 6870s is at least 600W. Therefore, 700W should be more than enough for two 6850s.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2012 2:18:16 AM
Related resources
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 18, 2012 2:19:19 AM

Radeon HD 6850 x2 - You need a quality 600- 650 Watt power supply unit.
If you experience issues you'll know your current psu isn't up to snuff!

m
l
February 18, 2012 2:24:44 AM

You should still be able to try the current configuration with your existing PSU to see if it runs well. I'd recommend doing a stress test using Furmark or OCCT and let it run for a while. If you notice artifacts or any major issues, then it most likely means your PSU isn't good enough.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2012 2:37:10 AM

Well that is a really really really really really really hell of a deal, it's on discount from $200! Get now man!!! :D  :D 

wait. It's useless anyway, I change my mind, I don't know what I was thinking.
m
l
February 18, 2012 2:42:23 AM

Wow for what reason did they decrease the price by so much :o  ?
m
l
February 18, 2012 2:44:13 AM

Wait you should read the reviews, not as many positives as I'd personally like. Be careful if you consider buying that PSU. Cheap isn't the way to go when buying PC components. If something happens you can risk your entire PC as the PSU is the core component for all your PC parts.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2012 2:45:40 AM

kcsmacker said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-553-...

How about that one? its 1000 watt so great upgradability, modular and active PFC?

it was down to 109 in July on newegg, and the reviews I am finding of the cougar cmx series are not positive, though I cannt find one for the 1000 Watt model. still I would avoid it.

Edit: ugh its one of those outdated multi 12v rail supplies too... and 6 rails to mess with 4 of which are only 24 amp. I'd stay far far away
m
l

Best solution

February 18, 2012 2:48:28 AM

unksol said:
it was down to 109 in July on newegg, and the reviews I am finding of the cougar cmx series are not positive, though I can find one for the 1000 Watt model. still I would avoid it.

Yeap try a Corsair, Thermaltake or OCZ PSU. These are all brands I trust. You might have to pay more than $129 for a 1000W PSU from these manufacturers but at least you know they make good stuff. :) 

Besides... you definitely don't need 1000W. Any PSU that is good quality and at least 700W is good enough.

I personally got by with a 650W PSU from Corsair for my two 6870s in crossfire. Not that your cards might need less, but aim for a little more anyways. When it comes to computing, a bit more money is a bit more safer. ;) 

This might be a good buy:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2012 3:08:13 AM

thermaltakes are also bad from what I hear and professional reviews. corsair, xfx, ocz and seasonic are supposed to be good. rosewill has actually stepped up their game and puts out some high quality units now too... I always look for a professional review from hardwaresecrets, jonnyguru, etc. they really test them
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:10:55 AM

Still, a simple good quality PSU with a power of 650w to 800w is all that is needed. I wouldn't spend too little yet also not too much either.
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:13:59 AM

And again I'd definitely check if the existing PSU that you have is sufficient first of all. You may not even need to upgrade.
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:22:40 AM

Well I have been running fine with it, however many horror stories have been posted about them on the cyberpower forums. I have had it for 7 months now and want to upgrade it to be safe.

I think I may get a http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Perf...

its modular, future proofed and is corsair. Anyone suggest something better for that price that is modular?
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
February 18, 2012 3:24:52 AM

For a system using two Radeon HD 6850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The XtremeGear 700 Watt power supply (PSAZ-CP700), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps and I'm guessing at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, theoretically meets the power supply requirements. Try it and see if it is really able to do the job.

XtremeGear 700 Watt PSU specs:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/spec/getspec.aspx?n=POWERSU...
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:30:49 AM

^ and that supports why you should stick with your current PSU. You said it has been working fine. However after you do add your second 6850, it MIGHT not continue working well. Try it out. If you still don't want to take a chance than go ahead with the Corsair Enthusiast V2 PSU you just posted a link for. It does seem to be very good. It has good reviews and it is 850W none the least. It most definitely a great PSU for your build.
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:41:49 AM

Ok. My issue with sticking with what I have is hardware damage. If my power supply fries or sparks like a surprising number of people have had happen, what am I risking? Would I be risking all my hardware? I would rather invest in a new PSU then risk a surge or ripple to my other hardware and compromising it. I have not had much experience with power supplies so im very unfamiliar with what can happen when things go wrong with your PSU

m
l
February 18, 2012 3:46:10 AM

If it has been working well for more than 6 months than it should be stable. But you can make your own decisions so if you want then you should look for a new PSU instead. The risks you've stated above are very unlikely and happen to a select few. But, even if you buy a new one, how are you going to know if the new PSU doesn't have a defect of some sort that can harm your PC? Anything can happen.
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:50:36 AM

True that. Horror stories do stick out more. I will give it a shot. Thanks for everyones help. This should get me going on everything I need.
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:51:46 AM

Best answer selected by kcsmacker.
m
l
!