Sign in with
Your question

HP proliant ML150 G6 dual processor - video dting

Last response: in Components
August 8, 2012 3:55:06 PM

Hi All,

Firstly, I hope this is in the corract area, and hopefully someone will beable to help.

I have been given a HP Proliant ML150 G6 server with 2 No. Xeon 5502 processors.

The machine has 32gb of memory and 4 No. SATA hard drives in Raid (unsure of capacity as only just got it).

The video card is an Nvidia Quadro FX1800.

The question is:

Would this setup be suitable for video editing using Sony Vegas Production Suite.

My old computer is not up to the task, and I have no money spare to upgrade it.

Thank you for your help!!
August 8, 2012 4:39:13 PM

You should be fine with that system, the dual core Xeon CPUs are bit slow at 1.86 GHz, which will take you longer to render video, but I recommends that you use a RAM Disk when rendering, especially if it is HD video. It is free up to 4GB which is plenty of space for short videos.

memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk/
August 8, 2012 8:39:45 PM

EnderWiggin said:
You should be fine with that system, the dual core Xeon CPUs are bit slow at 1.86 GHz, which will take you longer to render video, but I recommends that you use a RAM Disk when rendering, especially if it is HD video. It is free up to 4GB which is plenty of space for short videos.

memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk/

Thank you vey much.

Only asked as only had the opportunity to get it today and I didn't want to go through all the hassle of putting on Windows 7 if it wasn't going to be good enough.

Thanks again!!!
August 13, 2012 4:47:23 PM

No problem, and if you experience lag while previewing the video during editing, you can always lower the preview quality so it runs smoother. Once you render the final video, all will be sharp and smooth.
!