Small workstation to be used for MatLab

G

Hi all,

I was about to buy a computer for my programming purposes, and notably for extensively using MatLab.

Right now to configuration I am converging on is

RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 € 45,80
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz Socket 1155 95W con GPU Sandy Bridge Boxed BX80623I72600K € 254,00
Asrock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Intel Z68 SATA3 DDR3 USB3 ATX € 77,80
Case iTek Shadow Midi Tower PSU 500W mATX Black € 27,60
SSD OCZ Petrol 128GB € 72,10

The main issue is about CPU, but I'm open to suggestions with reference to all components. Should I do some changes in your opinion? I'm going to use that small workstation manly for MatLab (optimization procedures, linear algebra ecc.) hoping to take full advantage of Parallel Computing toolboox, and for other non-intensive tasks (surfing, Skype).

Thank you

InvalidError

Titan
Hyperthreading only yields a 20-30% improvement over otherwise identical non-HT CPUs so I would save the ~$100 difference for something else unless the extra 30% or experience dealing with more simultaneous threading is that important to you.

G

honestly it's not easy for me to assess whether the marginal revenue of such an improvement is greater than its marginal cost, but since I will run scripts that will last for several hours (say, up to 24/36h), probably a +20% is not as bad..

InvalidError

Titan
since I will run scripts that will last for several hours (say, up to 24/36h), probably a +20% is not as bad..
If what you are running can actually efficiently use the extra threads and you make a living off of it then shaving 2-4 hours per day or so certainly would be worth doing.