Sign in with
Your question

Trying to rebuild my system

Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2012 3:00:23 AM

Firstly, hello I'm a long time reader but first time poster, and these forums have helped me greatly over the past few years. Well here is the situation I had a Core i3-530 based system, will get detailed later, and my PSU went out and took my motherboard with it. So now I'm looking to build a new system and have been having withdrawals pretty bad with out my computer, I've been driving myself crazy looking at parts to get and I think I have finally narrowed it down to the following 2 systems.

1st - AMD Based(for price):

AMD Phenom II 1045T X6
Asus M5A97
Xigmatek Gaia SD1283
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

2nd - Intel Based(for performance):

Intel i5-2500K
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
ASRock Z77 Pro4

and I already have some parts:

XFX 6870 DD
Corsair 700w PSU
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB
Corsair 2GB
Couple of hard drives(not really important)

Anyway what I'm looking for is any kind of feedback on these parts or any kind of recommendations or even if you want to yell at me for posting something that may have come up before anything is welcome. Oh and I do have a budget that I'm trying to keep under $350USD but it is flexible. Thanks in advance.

More about : rebuild system

a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 3:23:44 PM

I'm guessing you already ruled out just replacing your 1156 motherboard.
Out of your selections above I'd go with the Intel setup. Price won't give the AMD setup much of an advantage down the road when you'll be looking for performance. I imagine the HSF in the AMD build will carry over to the i5 build, but I'd consider this as an option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 4:21:23 PM

What's that "Corsair 2gb"?

Yeah, go with the 2500K. It'll last you much longer. You'd have to upgrade the whole AMD setup with your next graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
April 26, 2012 8:31:03 PM

Sorry took so long I'm at work. I was originally going to replace the 1156 motherboard but said maybe I should look at it as a time to upgrade and went from there. The prices that I'm looking at are $370 for the Intel w/o the HSF, just the things listed and $300 for the AMD with the parts listed. The Corsiar stick is just a DDR3 1333 Value series I ran out of money at the end of my build and bought the G.Skill later.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 2:01:11 PM

You don't really need to get new RAM. Drop it and get a heatsink instead. The $25 Hyper 212 Plus should be more than fine.
m
l
!