Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 on Xbox 360

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2012 2:27:50 AM

Hello,

Hi any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I have a rather crappy laptop, I am looking to buy a slim line gaming system, which I can also use as a PC, install windows, but I want the best of both worlds and want to be able to play games through windows and xbox games, does any one know, if this is possible, if so, will the xbox be able to play the latest games, dx11, ?? I am chosing the Xbox 360, cos I am a heavy user of skype.

Many thanks, Mark

More about : windows xbox 360

February 18, 2012 2:41:07 AM

Are you looking for a console that runs as a PC and Xbox 360? In that case your out of luck as Xbox 360 games will not run on Windows unless of course you know or want to learn some super advanced coding. HOWEVER Windows 8 may come with a feature that allows you to play Xbox 360 games on a PC running it. That of course is a possibility and not certain. For the time being, you are better off investing your money into PC that can run PC game titles instead. There are a lot of PC games that were also for Xbox 360 and PS3 so you will definately not miss out. There are also a lot of PC exclusive games as well. Of course you will also be able to use skype and dx11 among all of the other features PCs have ( there are way more PC features than console features ;)  ). Good luck!
February 18, 2012 3:29:12 AM

Many thanks, I have been looking into possibly connecting my express slot on my laptop externally to a pci 16 graphics card, there is hardware to do this, www.arstech.com/item--xprs_px_x16.html but I guess I am stuck cos I have an embedded celeron dual core 1.9ghz processor in my laptop, far to slow for games like battlefield 2, crysis, etc, etc, ???
Related resources
February 18, 2012 3:30:42 AM

But what if I go for a really good Graphics Card, would that compensate for my poor cpu, ???
February 18, 2012 3:33:26 AM

spudderick said:
But what if I go for a really good Graphics Card, would that compensate for my poor cpu, ???

That CPU is definitely going to bottleneck your graphics card so I wouldn't recommend wasting money on that GPU. Also it will be a heck of a job to replace a laptops GPU. All laptops are built different and you might not even have enough space.
February 18, 2012 3:37:07 AM

I'd focus on your desktop PC first. You will be able to get way more out of it by upgrading it. A laptop is the worst to upgrade. And a 1.9ghz processor....not going to do much at all for you.
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 3:37:41 AM

since you really can't play 360 games on windows as of now, what you are saying can't be done.

the cpu is going to hold you back even if you get the pci to work without spending a lot of money.

I'd suggest a new decent gaming pc and forget about playing xbox games.
February 18, 2012 3:39:31 AM

So in short, a GPU can never compensate for a CPU. They help each other out. If you have an amazing GPU but a 1.9Ghz processor it will be like wearing a black $600 tuxedo jacket with $10 blue jeans...
February 18, 2012 3:46:46 AM

Lol, many thanks guys, so much appreciated, so to summarise, as I am looking for something small, get an icore5, system, in a micro/mini casing, ???
February 18, 2012 3:55:41 AM

If you want to actually build a decent rig you might want to buy a mid-sized PC to fit all your components such as a good GPU ( the new ones are quite big). Also the cooling might be better with a mid-size compared to a mini-case. But if you think you'll be able to get everything to fit than go for a mini.
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 3:56:15 AM

x360 games are only legal to play on an x360 (can be done in windows... but way more of a pain than just buying the PC version... which will look better anyways; or conversely, buying an x360 which will play such games they way they were intended).

only super high end laptops have upgrade-able GPUs... and even then it is not all of them, and there are limits on size and power usage that they will take, and it is never an easy process. Other than upgrading the ram and HDD I would never suggest upgrading a laptop (and even upgrading the HDD can be a royal pain).

It is illegal to modify an x360 in any way (and that would include installing Windows). This would be largely impossible as x360 does not run on an intel or AMD cpu, and does not use x86 architecture required by Windows. You could potentially install some version of Linux... or even possibly a really really old version of OSX designed for G5 processors... but still illegal, still a pain to do, and still will not get you to the goal of playing windows games on the system.

Simply put; x360 will be a simple and cheap way to play x360 games, while a PC is the best way to play PC games. Perhaps look into Alianware x51 ($700+) if you want a slim/affordable PC capable of doing games at moderate settings (still worlds better than consoles), but if you are looking for something to do high detail/frame-rate/resolution then you need to be prepared to drop $1500 into a PC, or $2000+ into a laptop.
February 18, 2012 4:01:12 AM

CaedenV said:
x360 games are only legal to play on an x360 (can be done in windows... but way more of a pain than just buying the PC version... which will look better anyways; or conversely, buying an x360 which will play such games they way they were intended).

only super high end laptops have upgrade-able GPUs... and even then it is not all of them, and there are limits on size and power usage that they will take, and it is never an easy process. Other than upgrading the ram and HDD I would never suggest upgrading a laptop (and even upgrading the HDD can be a royal pain).

It is illegal to modify an x360 in any way (and that would include installing Windows). This would be largely impossible as x360 does not run on an intel or AMD cpu, and does not use x86 architecture required by Windows. You could potentially install some version of Linux... or even possibly a really really old version of OSX designed for G5 processors... but still illegal, still a pain to do, and still will not get you to the goal of playing windows games on the system.

Simply put; x360 will be a simple and cheap way to play x360 games, while a PC is the best way to play PC games. Perhaps look into Alianware x51 ($700+) if you want a slim/affordable PC capable of doing games at moderate settings (still worlds better than consoles), but if you are looking for something to do high detail/frame-rate/resolution then you need to be prepared to drop $1500 into a PC, or $2000+ into a laptop.

LOL bad answer :(  alienwares are horrible. They are so over priced. Any pre-assembled PC will cost you a lot more than it would to just buy each individual part and build your own PC. It will get you more bang for your buck and you will be a lot happier with your own choice of parts and preferences. :) 
February 18, 2012 4:02:14 AM

You can probably build a complete rig for $1000 that will run way better than any console of today.
February 18, 2012 4:06:51 AM

This is what I am looking to buy, it is in a case small enough to be accepted for hand luggage for most airlines, not top end, but not bottom end, has anyone got any thoughts, ???

Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.10GHz
ASRock H61M-VS B3 Motherboard
8GB DDR3
500GB SATA III HDD
Integrated Intel GMA HD Graphics + Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6570 1GB DDR3
500W PSU
DVD-ROM
Powerlogic PC Case
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 4:09:48 AM

you can build a rig for $500 and be 10x faster than the consoles.
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 4:10:25 AM

spudderick said:
This is what I am looking to buy, it is in a case small enough to be accepted for hand luggage for most airlines, not top end, but not bottom end, has anyone got any thoughts, ???

8GB DDR3
500GB SATA III HDD
Integrated Intel GMA HD Graphics + Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6570 1GB DDR3
500W PSU
DVD-ROM
Powerlogic PC Case

the graphics are crap.
February 18, 2012 4:16:08 AM

So what do you reccommend, other than just stating 'the graphics are crap', I am not a hard core gamer, or I would of known pc's are better than consoles, and not even posted this thread, please, if you can't be constructive, please save your time and energy, for other things, thank you
February 18, 2012 4:18:00 AM

esrever said:
you can build a rig for $500 and be 10x faster than the consoles.

No I'm pretty sure even a console is better than that. 10x faster is saying a lot, especially for $500. Not much at all you can buy in that range.
February 18, 2012 4:21:33 AM

I would spend a bit more on the GPU. Getting something like a Radeon HD 6770 or better will do you good for most games. I personally have a 6870 which allows me to play even the most graphic intensive games such as The Witcher 2 and BF3. You can get one for at the least $160.
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 4:22:47 AM

the 6770 is 10x faster than the 360 gpu, which is really all that matters in gaming.
February 18, 2012 4:26:26 AM

Thanks guys, now that is helpful, thank you, can anyone explain to me what overclocking means, in simple terms, really simple please, I dont think it is possible with the Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.10GHz, is it, ??
February 18, 2012 4:28:28 AM

Oh I believe it is.
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 4:28:33 AM

its very limited but possible. You can get it to the max turbo speed which I think is 3.4 ghz or something.

Overclocking basically just makes the cpu go faster than the factory settings.
February 18, 2012 4:31:38 AM

Overclocking is simply pushing your component (CPU, GPU, Memory etc....) beyond the performance it was given as. So simply means allowing your CPU run faster than it was initially. There are a lot of tutorials on the web for that. You can look up your specific motherboard and figure it out. The CPU has limits however. The temperatures need to be closely monitored. If they go too high....it will destroy your CPU. Make sure you know the limits of your CPU and have utilities that can monitor your CPU while you stress test it to see if the overclock settings you have applied are stable and don't cause your CPU to erupt into flames XD
February 18, 2012 4:33:07 AM

what about the sparkle GTS450 1GB Gddr5, is that any good, I get that package for $570, ???
February 18, 2012 4:33:24 AM

You might want buy an aftermarket CPU cooler as the one that comes with processors by default aren't that great and will barely allow an overclock, if any at all.
February 18, 2012 4:35:04 AM

8GB DDR3
500GB SATA III HDD
Integrated Intel GMA HD Graphics + Sparkle GTS450 1GB
500W PSU
DVD-ROM
Powerlogic PC Case

$570

Any good, ???
February 18, 2012 4:36:41 AM

spudderick said:
what about the sparkle GTS450 1GB Gddr5, is that any good, I get that package for $570, ???

It's pretty outdated by today's standards. You probably won't be able to get the same performance as your Xbox 360 either. Spend about $40-50 more and you won't be upset. :) 
February 18, 2012 4:38:03 AM

spudderick said:
8GB DDR3
500GB SATA III HDD
Integrated Intel GMA HD Graphics + Sparkle GTS450 1GB
500W PSU
DVD-ROM
Powerlogic PC Case

$570

Any good, ???

That is a budget computer but if you can't spend anymore than I'd say its good.
February 18, 2012 4:39:47 AM

And I guess that you would have to buy a more powerful PSU as well if you want to buy a better GPU so i guess you should stick with that if your not looking to overpower or match your Xbox 360. I'm not so sure of how that PC would fair with a game like BF3, however if your not that much of a graphic junkie than that will do. :) 
February 18, 2012 4:40:53 AM

Do you mean $40-50 more on the graphics card, ?? I can get a GTX550TI 1GB, which brings it up to $610, ?? Any good, ???
February 18, 2012 4:43:54 AM

spudderick said:
Do you mean $40-50 more on the graphics card, ?? I can get a GTX550TI 1GB, which brings it up to $610, ?? Any good, ???

That graphic card is pretty good but can you also buy a better PSU? Oh and can you also give me the name of your PSU so I can figure out if its good quality. Often times even a high wattage PSU isn't great based on how it converts and distributes energy flow.
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 4:44:02 AM

I'd suggest try to get a less powerful cpu and a more powerful gpu. If you want the best performance at your price range, you can look at an i3 and a 6870.
February 18, 2012 4:46:15 AM

I live by the computer rule of buying good now so it lasts well later. Meaning that I'd spend money and get good quality parts so that the computer lasts for a long time of gaming. However, don't throw all your savings on a computer either but make sure it doesn't break down within a year.
February 18, 2012 4:47:09 AM

Thanks esrever, thanks Akhilcool, your advice is so much appreciated, thank you
February 18, 2012 4:49:08 AM

esrever said:
I'd suggest try to get a less powerful cpu and a more powerful gpu. If you want the best performance at your price range, you can look at an i3 and a 6870.

That is an off balance combination. An i3 will bottleneck a 6870. The processor selection is fine. All that is needed is the GPU to be amped a bit. Remember that the CPU works WITH the GPU. They need to be at par, you can't compensate some graphic processing with central processing or vice-versa.
February 18, 2012 4:52:32 AM

The i5 also has more cores than the i3 that can boost the performance of both gaming use and non-gaming uses of the PC.
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 4:56:42 AM

Akhilcool said:
That is an off balance combination. An i3 will bottleneck a 6870. The processor selection is fine. All that is needed is the GPU to be amped a bit. Remember that the CPU works WITH the GPU. They need to be at par, you can't compensate some graphic processing with central processing or vice-versa.

no, the i3 will not bottleneck the 6870. The 6870 will be the limiting part in that equation.
February 18, 2012 5:01:13 AM

esrever said:
no, the i3 will not bottleneck the 6870. The 6870 will be the limiting part in that equation.

I don't think you know how low-end a i3 processor is. It will severely impact gaming on CPU-intensive games like BF3 and GTA IV. A lot of games these days depend on both CPU and GPU and not just GPU. The 6870 is a beast as I have it and I wouldn't say it is a limiting part.
February 18, 2012 5:06:15 AM

So can someone please tell me what Graphics will simply just match my the i5 processor, I read somewhere that the way amd works, is that GPU cannot be more powerful than the CPU, is this correct, ?? I am just after a smooth flowing gameplay, I am not an hardcore gamer, or graphic user, many thanks, ???
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 5:06:25 AM

I have an athlon 2 x3 which is easily outclassed in some games by the i3 yet its still not a bottleneck for me in games (the ONE exception being BF3 multiplayer :)  )

as for the ops question, what games do you intend to play and what settings do you require, for mid/high end gaming a 6870 is a real nice deal for the money.
February 18, 2012 5:07:05 AM

That was in the A-Series AMD Processors
February 18, 2012 5:09:06 AM

spudderick said:
So can someone please tell me what Graphics will simply just match my the i5 processor, I read somewhere that the way amd works, is that GPU cannot be more powerful than the CPU, is this correct, ?? I am just after a smooth flowing gameplay, I am not an hardcore gamer, or graphic user, many thanks, ???

For an i5 you can be suited with a graphic card that is 550ti or above. I'd recommend the 560ti if you can squeeze it in your budget.
February 18, 2012 5:11:01 AM

Oh and I had the 6870 and it didn't overclock that well, which might be only my card specifically, however the 560ti is known to be very stable and good for overclocking. It is the card I'd most recommend for a mid-level gamer. :) 
February 18, 2012 5:11:34 AM

In answer to mouse 24, i mostly like driving games, need for speed-the run, shift 2. call of duties, and Battlefield 3, I have all these games, but they either play terrible or tell me that my DX level is not high enough
February 18, 2012 5:12:26 AM

mouse24 said:
I have an athlon 2 x3 which is easily outclassed in some games by the i3 yet its still not a bottleneck for me in games (the ONE exception being BF3 multiplayer :)  )

as for the ops question, what games do you intend to play and what settings do you require, for mid/high end gaming a 6870 is a real nice deal for the money.

That depends on what graphic settings you run at in games. If you want to beat a Xbox 360 and also have a good performance computer other uses than you want to step up for sure.
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 5:17:07 AM

Akhilcool said:
That depends on what graphic settings you run at in games. If you want to beat a Xbox 360 and also have a good performance computer other uses than you want to step up for sure.

I can run almost any game on max settings, I run crysis on a mix of high and very high... please show me a game that isnt coded like crap that simply will not run max or nearly max on an i3 / athlon 2 x3 (if you list gta 4 I will kill you... xD )

and yeah I realize the 6870 isn't that great of an overclocker, but its still a good amount of savings when purchasing it over the 560ti
February 18, 2012 5:18:58 AM

mouse24 said:
I can run almost any game on max settings, I run crysis on a mix of high and very high... please show me a game that isnt coded like crap that simply will not run max or nearly max on an i3 / athlon 2 x3 (if you list gta 4 I will kill you... xD )

and yeah I realize the 6870 isn't that great of an overclocker, but its still a good amount of savings when purchasing it over the 560ti

Well you can buy a 560ti for about $30-40 more than a 6870 which is worth it IMO as the cards tend to be stable like a rock and will give you extreme performance.
February 18, 2012 5:19:46 AM

I've also heard of a lot of heating issues people get with the 6870 and it doesn't scale well.
February 18, 2012 5:20:01 AM

mouse24, so the athlon II x3, would be an option for me then, ?? I have been trying to stay away from Intel cos of their prices, and my sister works for them, lol
!