Upgrading System

sscalcuttawala

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012
hello
I need a new system ,where I am mulling whether to go for a AMD Phenom X560 black edition CPU 3.3GHZ or should go for a Intel i3/Core2Duo CPU clocked lower @ 2.93GHZ
My needs are basic just regular stuff ,no high end games or photoshop processing.My vendor advises against AMD saying they change their sockets fast & old ones are then not available in market after some time while intel spares are available for long in market.
Is the amd cpu = to intel i3 / i5 cpu
what about heating issues with amd
Also suggest Matching ATX & PSU to go along with it.
I will not be adding any graphic cards to system ,just the default Asus/Intel MB inbuilt
I am open to any other suggestions for alternative AMD/Intel

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Either your vendor lied to you or you didnt understand him.First the name of the AMD Processor you're talking about is AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition and second AMD doesnt switch socket's a lot.Intel does that.For example Intel uses a new socket for every generation of CPU's while AMD only updates their sockets.
For example the Phenom they showed you is compatable will all AM2 AM2+ AM3 and AM3+ sockets!And you can upgrade to Piledriver later.
And the Intel CPU is only compatable with LGA 1155 which is already a dead socket.

And still the Intel CPU's you're talking about are far better than the AMD one.But if you're only doing basic things like browsing the internet all of these will satisfy you.

vasilisvvv

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

THE 1155 IS ALREADY A DEAD SOCKET??? thats make me laugh a lot.. Check it out better before giving advice....

sscalcuttawala

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012

I am currrently using asus mobo with socket am2+ however phenom X2 560 does not support the mobo its compactible with AM3 socket
Much as i would love to change my current cpu of AMD Anthlon 64 i cannot unless i change my mobo as well
I had also asked whether X 560 = i3/i5 intel cpu
what about the famed AMD heating issues does the current bunch still sport them??

popatim

Titan
it takes a phenom 2 x4 to approach the processing power of an i3 in most apllications.
Amd does not have anything that can touch intel i-series when the cpu core counts are equivalent.

Overall I have several AMD's. An x2 245, X3 720BE, X3 445, X6 1055T overclocked.
Comparing the low end amds to the one i3-2015 I have - the i3 is noticably more reponsive from a general user perspective than the x2 240 and athlon2 x3 445. The Phenom2 x3 720 is nearly as good (its not overclocked) but i do see a bit of sluggishness that I dont see on the i3 occasionally. All systems have 4gb of ram and 7200rpm hdd's except my x6 rig. (thats my video workstation/gaming rig)

I hope that helps.

sscalcuttawala

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012

thank you for the suggestions.The Vendor had a chart which was comparing various amd cpu's with intel cpu.He had said phenom X2 560 will be more than = to i3 but u have proved otherwise!!
I am using amd anthlon cpu trouble free for last 6 yrs though mobo changed 2 times.