Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it smart move?

Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2012 3:53:05 AM

Hi

Currently having D946GZIS Intel original motherboard and Intel core 2duo 6300@1.86 GHz CPU with 2 GB DDR2 RAM
as DDR2 is outdated and costly,
As CPU comes costly so is it smart move to change motherboard so I can use DDR3 RAM
I Have 2 render 3D images so looking to upgrade PC in a cheap way

here is list of some Motherboards what supports my CPU

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.asp...

here I also want to know that what is difference in fully compatible and ! (Compatibility details differ per board revision) mother boards

there are some motherboards what also supports DDR3 RAM

But don't know if its smart move to make a smart PC for next couple of years and what if I need to change processor after some time then will these boards allow me to change for advance processor

thanks

More about : smart move

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a c 89 V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 6:46:23 AM

DDR 3 is only very fractionally faster than DDR 2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2232/7

The speed difference is so small you would not be able to notice.

If you want more performance you will have to buy
cpu
mb
RAM
windows 7 64 bit oem

The other components in your computer may be able to be recycled
m
l
April 26, 2012 7:07:57 AM

current MOBO only supports 4 GB DDR2 667GHz RAM(I have 2GB 533 GHz) and these are very expensive
and if I'll sell it nobody will buy
so investing in DDR2 is waste
and purchasing CPU is big expense for me this time

I don't know if DDR3 too going to be outdated soon, you can't say in this field what coming next and soon you will find your system outdated
I need speed this time to render 3Ds MAX files and also withing budget, CPU will throughout me out of budget :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 7:25:47 AM

Since your cpu is pretty old and outdated you shouldn't be expecting to get too much out of it. On the other hand, if you are on a budget and don't want to spend $500 on a whole new setup, you will be able to get a few more years out of it with less than $100. A new Mobo that supports DDR3 and enough RAM will give you a decent boost.
Both LGA775 Mobos and DDR3 RAM are pretty cheap nowadays and readily found on the market so you should have trouble finding either.

Check these out (for instance):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a c 89 V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 7:49:41 AM

A new motherboard that supports DDR3 wont provide any increase in speed, and would probably require you to spend another $100 on a new copy of windows
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:03:20 AM

thanks for your reply

Its a very cheap motherboard in real, Just want to discuss if it will support my CPU?
and as I use only intel original motherboard
so how is MSI?
some people say if we use other brand boards,they shows compatibility problem and heats up early.
http://www.flipkart.com/intel-dp43bf-motherboard/p/itmd...

its a intel original motherboard from given link above,
this comes more than double price from what you suggested, so thinking what's the difference

thanks
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:11:27 AM

Actually, it will allow me to upgrade up to 8 GB RAM and with faster speed like 1333 GHz
that's why, I am interested in doing so
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 8:11:59 AM

Outlander_04 said:
A new motherboard that supports DDR3 wont provide any increase in speed, and would probably require you to spend another $100 on a new copy of windows

I agree with Outlander_04 save your money for a real upgrade to the current architecture - LGA 1155 or LGA 2012 and get a good quad core CPU, a MB and DDR3 Ram.

the speed increase from DDR2 to DDR3 without changing out the CPU/MB for a modern stuff would be very slight and not work the expense or time involved.
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:40:01 AM

Thanks Guys

Well I can wait :)  it takes time in days, for rendering. But I think now I must stop and wait till I need it very hard.

so one thing more tell me if graphic card only helps in games or in 3D s/w also, as for MAYA and MAX they only asks for RAM and CPU speed
and currently I have that basic PC with quadro fx 540 graphic card
I don't know much about graphic cards, if they help in rendering too apart from a quality view

if I need a better graphic card then that then please let me know and can we adjust any graphic card with any motherboard?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 11:16:05 AM

MSI mobos are amoung the best on the market, Intel may sell for a higher price but that doesn't make them better. Also there is no such thing as a Mobo heating up due to incompatibility, it just doesn't happen.
Each momo has a CPU compatibility list which you can look through to find your CPU before you buy.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 11:26:03 AM

new mobo,cpu,ram should do the trick, that way you got more upgradability.

if your using some IDE we got some IDE mobo one that i've seen are from asrock
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 1:10:39 PM

vish22 said:
Thanks Guys

Well I can wait :)  it takes time in days, for rendering. But I think now I must stop and wait till I need it very hard.

so one thing more tell me if graphic card only helps in games or in 3D s/w also, as for MAYA and MAX they only asks for RAM and CPU speed
and currently I have that basic PC with quadro fx 540 graphic card
I don't know much about graphic cards, if they help in rendering too apart from a quality view

if I need a better graphic card then that then please let me know and can we adjust any graphic card with any motherboard?

Rendering is a function of the CPU. large projects (3D generally) require more Ram. Some modeling and engineering programs will use the nVidia GPU's CUDA cores if available for rendering.

May 3, 2012 5:22:20 PM

Best answer selected by vish22.
m
l
!