Do i have enough power?

doctor m

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

I know very little about computers and im about to make my first gaming-pc purchase and sorry if i dont make any sense to you. but my psu is a axp 500w, and i was planning on running 2 GPUs but i dont know what SLI mode is.... rest of system specs are 8gb ram, 1tb 7200rpm harddrive and motherboard is Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3. hope that made any sense to you, because i barely understood what i just wrote xD

AXP/Xion makes about three different versions of a 500W PSU and none of them are really good quality. They're made by a good OEM, Super Flower, but are definitely 'value' oriented...in this instance low quality and IMO low value because of the low quality. Does your PSU have a little red switch on the back of it for switching between 110V and 220V? Can you provide the specific model number of your PSU? There is a label on the side of the PSU that will list the model number. I personally would not use an AXP/Xion PSU...or allow it in the general vicinity of my components. I'd recommend getting a good quality PSU...it's the heart of any PC.

Why use two GPUs? SLI (nvidia tech) and Crossfire (AMD) allow you to put multiple graphics cards into a single PC and combine cards processing power for display onto a single large monitor or an array of monitors. The technology is good for high resolution gaming in graphics-intensive games. In order to do this you have to have two of the same model cards (in your case two GTX 560s or two GTS 450s and i'm not sure the GTS 450 is SLI capable). Bottom line if you don't know what it is , then don't worry about it. The technology doesn't scale well (i.e. two GTX 560s is not twice as powerful as a single GTX 560) and it is usually more cost effective to buy a single more powerful GPU.

doctor m

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

alright, i kinda get it now. but i have 1 question, is this a good gaming PC to get?: http://www.speldatorn.se/cgi-bin/produkter.pl?falt=6&varde=gameri32102-20&mall=mall_vara_stationara.html
excuse the swedish you might be able to translate it?

I wouldn't buy that as a gaming PC for the following reasons:
1. Low-quality PSU
2. The GPU is underpowered. If I were purchasing today, then I would want an HD6850, an HD6870 or maybe a GTX560. I think the 6850 is one of the best values on the street right now; you can get it in the states for about $130 after MIR. The HD 6770 are also a great prce/performance point at around $100 and sometimes less with rebates.

The rest of the system is ok. I personally use an i3 2120 (a couple hundred Mhz faster than the 2100) and it works great for me - great budget CPU.

doctor m

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

okay, so i basically only need to change the PSU then ill be fine. because i already have a gtx 560 since earlier. thanks for all the help man!

With your setup I would go for a god quality ~500W PSU. Are you buying the PSU from that site? What will your budget be for the PSU?

Edit: I tried searching the site that the PC is on but they didn't hav any PSUs listed...or the page didn't load/refresh correctly. Some PSUs to consider:
1. Seasonic M12II-520 (or S12II-520).
2. Antec HCG 520
3. Enermax NAXN82+ (ENP550AWT B) or Triathlor ETA550AWT
4. XFX Core Edition 550W
5. PC Power & Cooling MKIII 500W (PPCMK3S500)
All of those are great PSUs that meet your power requirements. I wouldn't have an issue with buying the cheapest one of those listed and being very happy with the purchase. If you would like opinions on other PSUs then ask. If these are out of your budget, then let us know the budget and a good site to search for some PSUs.

TRENDING THREADS