Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Ivy Bridge Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 26, 2012 5:34:17 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: The moment that ivy bridge gets released

Budget Range: $700 usd after taxes

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D design/3D rendering, graphic design, gaming, surfing the net.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, HDD, OS, case, power supply (corsair tx v2 750w)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country: United States

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia, Corsair

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes but not at this time.

Monitor Resolution: 3360x1050, and later on 5760x1080

Additional Comments: I intend to make this a hackintosh.


I am looking at this setup:

i7 3770k
Gigabyte z77 ud5h
Corsair vengeance 2x8gb

More about : ivy bridge build

April 26, 2012 6:30:55 AM

Ive been reading up alot on hackintosh's on tonymacx86, and the z77 gigabyte boards are already supported out of the box. So i was looking at combo's with the z77 ud5h and i found these two ud5h and 16gb vengeance and ud5h and g.skill 16gb, the vengeance is $10 cheaper so is the g.skill that much better?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 26, 2012 6:37:53 AM

italiasian said:
Ive been reading up alot on hackintosh's on tonymacx86, and the z77 gigabyte boards are already supported out of the box. So i was looking at combo's with the z77 ud5h and i found these two ud5h and 16gb vengeance and ud5h and g.skill 16gb, the vengeance is $10 cheaper so is the g.skill that much better?

That RAM has a lot better timings than the RAM I posted. Nice find.
m
0
l
April 26, 2012 6:55:32 AM

A question about the ram, i plan to buy 16gb more of the same vengeance ram so will they work together as 32gb or as two separate kits of 16gb. I was told that using two kits would not use all of the ram at the same time but split it, is this true?
m
0
l
April 26, 2012 7:09:45 AM

italiasian said:
A question about the ram, i plan to buy 16gb more of the same vengeance ram so will they work together as 32gb or as two separate kits of 16gb. I was told that using two kits would not use all of the ram at the same time but split it, is this true?

That's a new one on me. 32GB of RAM is just that... 32GB of RAM.
m
0
l
April 26, 2012 7:16:46 AM

No, using two kits will either work or it won't, depending on whether the kits are the same or not, regardless though, there's always the chance it won't, so if you want 32Gb of RAM, just buy a 32Gb kit, there's no guarantees with two sets.
m
0
l

Best solution

April 26, 2012 7:18:42 AM

italiasian said:
A question about the ram, i plan to buy 16gb more of the same vengeance ram so will they work together as 32gb or as two separate kits of 16gb. I was told that using two kits would not use all of the ram at the same time but split it, is this true?

All the CPU cares about is whether or not your DIMM sizes are correctly matched between channels and that they all work properly with the lowest common denominator timings.

If you have Vista/7 Home Premium however, those only "support" 16GB which might be where the statement about the inability to use all the RAM might come from. You need to upgrade to Pro (or nearly any other non-Microsoft x64 OS) to use more RAM.
Share
April 26, 2012 7:26:22 AM

InvalidError said:
All the CPU cares about is whether or not your DIMM sizes are correctly matched between channels and that they all work properly with the lowest common denominator timings.

If you have Vista/7 Home Premium however, those only "support" 16GB which might be where the statement about the inability to use all the RAM might come from. You need to upgrade to Pro (or nearly any other non-Microsoft x64 OS) to use more RAM.


Thank you, i already have Windows 7 pro.
m
0
l
April 26, 2012 7:35:52 AM

Best answer selected by italiasian.
m
0
l
!