Sharky740

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hello,
I just installed a Radeon HD 6790 with the latest drivers, Windows 7 and Speecy both recognize it as a Radeon HD 6700 series card but when I run 3D Mark it only recognises it as a generic VGA adapter with 300Mhz clock speeds.

Spec :
Radeon HD 6790
Intel Q6600
6Gb DDR2

Sharky740

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Nope said the driver is approved, considdering it is a new card I am only getting 5-15 fps in the new star wars game wich was about the same as my old GTS 450, im wondering if it is a mainboad/cpu problem

tlmck

Distinguished
You did fully uninstall the Nvidia driver before installing the AMD correct?

It could be a mainboard problem unless the old card was working correctly.

I also forgot to mention earlier that the 6790 is actually a slight downgrade from a 460 card. Note the Tom's chart. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

I would definitely look at the motherboard, and check the PSU, although a PSU failure would likely cause a system wide slowdown. I know I fixed a friends machine a short while back with a failing PSU. The whole system was running at basically half speed. A new PSU pepped it right back up.

The issue with the mainboard would be somewhat related. If components are failing somewhere and not supplying enough voltage, then that could also cause a slowdown.