Want to Repair XP.. Plus...

JGM

Distinguished
May 13, 2001

I Want to install a full version of XP over another installed version and
the end result I want is that the new version and its serial number and
activation are the only ones left ........If I use the repair installation
utility of the new full version will this do the trick? Obviously I want the
repairing version to be my only installed version.....My reasons honest and
honorable......JGM

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"JGM" wrote:

| I Want to install a full version of XP over another installed version and
| the end result I want is that the new version and its serial number and
| activation are the only ones left ........If I use the repair installation
| utility of the new full version will this do the trick? Obviously I want the
| repairing version to be my only installed version.....My reasons honest and
| honorable......JGM

To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
install.

Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these to your new install before connecting
to any network.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"JGM" wrote:
|I Want to install a full version of XP over another installed version and
| the end result I want is that the new version and its serial number and
| activation are the only ones left ........If I use the repair installation
| utility of the new full version will this do the trick? Obviously I want
the
| repairing version to be my only installed version.....My reasons honest
and
| honorable......JGM

Oops, misread post, please disregard reply.