Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5 3570k - temps / turbo boost questions

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 8, 2012 8:01:38 PM

Hi all, building a new computer soon parts on the way with an i5 3570k which I decided to take over the i5 2500k, which I hope was the right choice?

I didn't buy an aftermarket cooler as I am running it at stock speeds to figured Intels stock cooler should be fine - however I'm reading that the new Ivy Bridge architecture in the cpu makes it run a lot hotter than the old Sandy Bridge but the new IB is better performance.

What kind of Idle temps and Load temps should I expect with no-overclock. Ambient temps of 23C in my room,

Also will enabling turbo boost make my cpu get hotter, if so, should I disable it for the 3570k? When enabled, is it active all the time or does it only boost from 3.4 -> 3.8ghz when it needs the extra power? Is that how an overclock works, i've never OC'ed anything :) 

Thanks guys!
a c 283 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 8:16:57 PM

With the stock cooler, idle is generally in the 35-45C range, and 100% load (with Turbo) is generally around 65-75C.

Turbo is enabled by default anyway, and there's no need to disable it. And it only "boosts" the speed when necessary, so no, it won't be at max speed ALL of the time, although it WILL stay active (actually, it'll spend most of it's time around 1.6Ghz if you're only surfing the web, etc.).

Also, Turbo for that CPU is 3.8Ghz only when one core is being used. It's 3.7 with 2, 3.6, with 3, and finally, 3.5Ghz when all 4 cores are in use. But no, Turbo is really nothing like real overclocking. It's just as it says, a "boost" when needed.
August 8, 2012 8:23:41 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
With the stock cooler, idle is generally in the 35-45C range, and 100% load (with Turbo) is generally around 65-75C.

Turbo is enabled by default anyway, and there's no need to disable it. And it only "boosts" the speed when necessary, so no, it won't be at max speed ALL of the time, although it WILL stay active (actually, it'll spend most of it's time around 1.6Ghz if you're only surfing the web, etc.).

Also, Turbo for that CPU is 3.8Ghz only when one core is being used. It's 3.7 with 2, 3.6, with 3, and finally, 3.5Ghz when all 4 cores are in use. But no, Turbo is really nothing like real overclocking. It's just as it says, a "boost" when needed.


how much would disabling turbo boost reduce temps? I'd like 25-30C idle and 55-60C load temps preferably.

if turbo boost only activates when needed, how does real overclocking work? Thanks
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 8:32:55 PM

ITomI said:
how much would disabling turbo boost reduce temps? I'd like 25-30C idle and 55-60C load temps preferably.

if turbo boost only activates when needed, how does real overclocking work? Thanks


Disabling Turbo would probably help load temps a bit (around 5-7C less), but it wouldn't affect idle temps at all. Idle is 1.6Ghz regardless of whether or not Turbo is enabled.

In reality, you'll NEVER get the kind of temps you're wanting with the stock cooler, no matter what you do. It's just barely adequate for the job it's supposed to do, but that's it. It just sucks.

Real Overclocking would be to have all cores max out at the same speed (no Turbo involved in it). For instance, on my 2500K, every load situation will max out at 4.5Ghz regardless of the amount of cores in use.

Now, I leave SpeedStep enabled, so it doesn't run at a constant 4.5 (closer to an average of 2Ghz in normal use, really), but Turbo is for all intents and purposes disabled and a non-factor.
August 8, 2012 8:36:52 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Disabling Turbo would probably help load temps a bit (around 5-7C less), but it wouldn't affect idle temps at all. Idle is 1.6Ghz regardless of whether or not Turbo is enabled.

In reality, you'll NEVER get the kind of temps you're wanting with the stock cooler, no matter what you do. It's just barely adequate for the job it's supposed to do, but that's it. It just sucks.

Real Overclocking would be to have all cores max out at the same speed (no Turbo involved in it). For instance, on my 2500K, every load situation will max out at 4.5Ghz regardless of the amount of cores in use.

Now, I leave SpeedStep enabled, so it doesn't run at a constant 4.5 (closer to an average of 2Ghz in normal use, really), but Turbo is for all intents and purposes disabled and a non-factor.


Hmm Okay thanks for that :)  I may invest in a hyper 212 then if that will reduce some temperature degrees a little, and leave turbo on, is that the best option?

& to the second part, so it wouldn't spread it across all cores if it was real overclocking it would max to the overclocked ghz no matter what?

a c 283 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 8:40:53 PM

ITomI said:
Hmm Okay thanks for that :)  I may invest in a hyper 212 then if that will reduce some temperature degrees a little, and leave turbo on, is that the best option?

& to the second part, so it wouldn't spread it across all cores if it was real overclocking it would max to the overclocked ghz no matter what?


First part, yeah a 212 Evo would be a great option.

Second part, I don't quite understand what you're saying there, but a true overclock effectively disables Turbo (even if you leave it ENABLED), because it's true function can't work the way it's meant to.

Like I said in my first reply, the max Turbo at stock is for 1 core only, while the max speed of an OC will be for ALL cores (no way for Turbo to do it's intended job). That's the main difference.
August 8, 2012 8:43:28 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
First part, yeah a 212 Evo would be a great option.

Second part, I don't quite understand what you're saying there, but a true overclock effectively disables Turbo (even if you leave it ENABLED), because it's true function can't work the way it's meant to.

Like I said in my first reply, the max Turbo at stock is for 1 core only, while the max speed of an OC will be for ALL cores (no way for Turbo to do it's intended job). That's the main difference.


Okay thanks for clarifying, I'll build it with stock and leave turbo on if it won't affect idle temps and run some prime95 and see what kind of temps I can get since I'm going to have 4 fans inside my case 2 front 1 rear 1 top but I will probably invest in a 212 evo.

If I got that cooler what speeds could I probably OC to without going over 65C under load :) ?
a c 283 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 8:47:05 PM

ITomI said:
If I got that cooler what speeds could I probably OC to without going over 65C under load :) ?


There are a lot of factors involved in that (voltage needed, case airflow, ambient temp at the exact time of your measurement, etc.), but I'd say around 4.3Ghz.
a c 283 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 8:48:13 PM

ITomI said:
I'd like 4GHz, would that be a fair improvement?


Good enough, yeah.
August 8, 2012 8:48:31 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
There are a lot of factors involved in that (voltage needed, case airflow, ambient temp at the exact time of your measurement, etc.), but I'd say around 4.3Ghz.


I'd like 4GHz, would that be a fair improvement?
August 8, 2012 8:52:48 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Good enough, yeah.


Okay, so if I were to OC to 4GHz that means all 4 cores would be capable of running at 4GHz under load? (sorry for the noob questions :p  )
a c 283 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 8:53:46 PM

ITomI said:
Okay, so if I were to OC to 4GHz that means all 4 cores would be capable of running at 4GHz under load? (sorry for the noob questions :p  )


Yep, and that's ok. :) 
!