Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What's the point of having a dedicated PhysX card?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Physx
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2012 9:19:49 AM

So, after finding out you can have a dedicated PhysX card for games I was like that's so awesome!

then I found out you can use it with AMD Radeon cards. At this point I'm like:

That makes no sense, why would you buy a dedicated PhysX card when Nvidia cards COME with PhysX? I mean, I would actually have considered buying a GTS or GTX for dedicated PhysX if I could use it with my AMD. That way Nvidia is happy, but nooo we need to buy 2 nvidia cards for a dedicated PhysX card.

So, now I'm asking you, is there any benefit to having a dedicated PhysX card when your primary card is supposed to already be doing the job of said dedicated card?

Spoiler
Educate me.

More about : point dedicated physx card

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 9:32:53 AM

There is no point - Physics processing is done by your graphix card, as long as it is at least DX9 capable. Dedicated physics cards were feasable when GPU's couldnt process physics calculations. That stopped being the case about 3 years ago.
February 18, 2012 9:34:15 AM

internetswag said:
So, after finding out you can have a dedicated PhysX card for games I was like that's so awesome!

then I found out you can't (officially) use it with AMD Radeon cards. At this point I'm like:

http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/png/neutral-suspicious.png

That makes no sense, why would you buy a dedicated PhysX card when Nvidia cards COME with PhysX? I mean, I would actually have considered buying a GTS or GTX for dedicated PhysX if I could use it with my AMD. That way Nvidia is happy, but nooo we need to buy 2 nvidia cards for a dedicated PhysX card.

So, now I'm asking you, is there any benefit to having a dedicated PhysX card when your primary card is supposed to already be doing the job of said dedicated card?

Spoiler
Educate me.

m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2012 9:36:13 AM

Argh god ******* damnit, I wanted to edit OP but accidentally clicked quote. I then try to edit my second post but I can't.

I meant to say 'you can't officially use Nvidia PhysX dedicated card with AMD as a main GPU'.
m
l
February 18, 2012 11:22:53 AM

Best answer selected by InternetSwag.
m
l
a c 83 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 12:19:34 PM

frombehind said:
There is no point - Physics processing is done by your graphix card, as long as it is at least DX9 capable. Dedicated physics cards were feasable when GPU's couldnt process physics calculations. That stopped being the case about 3 years ago.

This isn't exactly accurate. Alot(most) of the physics processing is done by the CPU if you do not have an Nvidia card. If you turn on physx with an AMD GPU you will take a major peformance hit. Nvidia pretty much does this on purpose. You CAN use a low end Nvidia card with AMD GPU's to process physx however Nvidia has it set up to disable if an AMD GPU is detected. There was one driver version they released where this was not the case as well as a hack to allow it to work.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-physx-hack-a...

So there is no point to it with Nvidia cards, they will just process the physx, you'd be better off with SLI than trying to use a dedicated card, however if you can get it working it will let physx run with an AMD GPU. This being said its really more of a gimmick and very very few games support it. On top of that nvidia's being a jerk.
m
l
!