3d with amd and iz3d, Anyone want to trade my 6970 for a gtx 570

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hi everyone, are there any active shutter glasses that work with this setup?
If not I am selling my card today and going nvidia as 3d is a big thing for me
Thanks for the help

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
forgot to list specs
1100t @ 4ghz
sapphire 6970
gigabyte 990fxa-ud7
8gb ddr3 1333mhz
lgw2363d monitor (3d vision ready)
xfx core edition 750
I really hope there is an easy solution to this as I do not want to sell my 6970

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I have found glasses called universal glasses but these appear to be for multiple display manufacturers and nowhere can I find universal glasses that work with ati :(

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Before anyone mentions the obvious I have contacted iz3d but they have not returned any of my emails and my monitor is not supported by tridef

You need to get glasses from the manufacturer of the monitor. Most TV's are different.

If that TV is 3D vision ready, you can use the 3D vision glasses, even on an AMD system. However, to have it work with HD3D (Amd's version), you must have an HDMI 1.4a or Displayport connection. No other connections work for HD3D.

EDIT: after searching around, I found that the Monitor does not offer HDMI 1.4a. You cannot use this with AMD graphics cards for HD3D gaming.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
So I would have to get nvidia then? I thought this did have 1.4a support. I was completely unaware that nvidia 3d vision worked with ati. Is this tried and tested? because if thats the case I may consider changing monitors instead of graphics cards

I have a monitor that offers both HDMI 1.4a and dual link DVI and Nvidia 3D vision ready (in sig). It works with both and I have tested it.

AMD requires displayport or HDMI 1.4a (most HDMI monitors use older HDMI types), and Nvidia requires dual link DVI or HDMI 1.3 (limited).

If you are serious about 3D, you'll want a monitor that has displayport if you want to use AMD, because HDMI 1.4a limits you to either 30hz or 720p at 60hz (per eye). For Nvidia, you want dual link DVI for 60hz per eye, HDMI connections limit you to 30hz or 60hz at 720p.

Hey again mate, thanks for all your help the other day.
Was wondering if it is possible to use a hdmi 1.4a cable with
a hdmi to dvi-d converter?
if not what about a displayport to dvi-d?
also how did you manage to get the shutter glasses working
with amd? just in case I decide to switch monitors as when I
install the glasses it comes up with an error message saying
that a nvidia graphics adapter can not be detected.
Thanks for the help mate

The HDMI converters, on AMD systems, won't work, as the signal for HDMI 1.4a uses frame packing, which is something dvi-d cannot do. DP to DVI-D has the same issue, DVI-D cannot use frame packing, so info is lost in the conversion.

As far as the glasses go, they will just work. AMD's system does not require special glasses. What ever glasses your monitor uses will work as is.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
ah cool, I have some universal ones so fingers crossed I can just use them. I noticed on the amd website it says that amd can do 3d with dvi-d now, will this work for me? as I said I really really dont wanna sell my 6970

I don't know, that must be new. I think I'll have to do some experimenting myself, if it is. I have an AMD alternative setup that I'd like to see work with my monitor at 1080p.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
if you get it working then please let me know how as I cant afford a gtx 580 yet and wouldnt want to get a 570 as from the benchmarks i have seen they perform worse on games I play.

It won't work. I believe that page had a mistake. Everywhere else says HDMI 1.4a or DP is required. When I attempt to run it, it tells my my monitor is not supported. You'll also note that the monitors shown to be supported all have HDMI 1.4a or DP connections.

I also couldn't find any info through google searches either. If you could find something more than that one page, I'd be interested.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
hmm.... the only other option I am thinking is going with a passive monitor.
Any experience with them? I heard active is way better