Use multiple screens as one desktop

Arya_Svitkona

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Dear Community
I'm searching for a multiple screen solution for my workspace. I know there is a solution called Windows 7 settings :p, Nvidia Surround or ATI Eyefinity, but my idea is to merge three (for example) screens as one.

Example: I Start a normal Software (Paint, Explorer, Cinema 4D, Chrome) and after I have the fullscreen over 3 monitors.
As first priority it should merge the screens for working...second priority is gaming.

Probably that's possible with xinerama (Unix software)? I saw that in the internet, but was an experiment from a university.

Ideas?
Greetings from Switzerland
Arya_Svitkona

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Your Options for this are:

ATI Ifiniti capable Card
Lesser ATI Cards in Xfire
Nvidia Cards in SLI
or a Matrox TrippleHead2Go

The Card configurations are self explanatory, the Matrox is an additional device that you buy, and attach all of your monitors to. Only 1 cable then goes to the PC - meaning that this option will even work without a graphics card at all (provided you have onboard video in your motherboard)

This is what it looks like:

TripleHead2Go_setup.jpg

If your video setup is powerful enough, you could even use it to play games - the result is very impressive. Unfortunatelly so is the price of the contraption - most sites will try to sell it for around the $300 mark... although, if you shop around, you might be able to get for about ~250ish.

Arya_Svitkona

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hey Guys
Thank you very much for this posts.
Are you sure that Eyefinity or 3D Sourround isn't only for gaming?
I think I could buy a second Geforce gtx 460 or an ATI 6950.

I heard about that solution from Matrox, but forget it.

Arya_Svitkona

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
@esrever
You understood that I won't have an extended screen?

extend: I can work over >1 screen, but I have only ONE Mainmonitor
merge: I can work over >1 screen, but all screens together merged as ONE.
So I can start a Software, Game or whatever and it will show that on all screens.