Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Will a dell XPS 8300 run a GTX 560 ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 18, 2012 9:50:10 AM

Hi everyone. I'm planning on replacing the graphics card on my dell XPS 8300. The dell website tells tells me that the XPS 8300 will run a GTX 560 ti and even offers to include it in the computer when you have it assembled. However, the computer only has a power input of 460W, and the Nvidia website says the GTX 560 ti needs at least 500W. Seeing as I'm not planning on replacing the power, can I get a GTX 560 ti, or should I settle for the less power-hungry non-ti version (which requires a 460W minimum)?
February 18, 2012 10:01:21 AM

It should run it without problems. What we need to know is how many amps you have on the 12v+ rail. It is a label on the PSU. 170 watts divide by 12 is about 15. So you will need at least 15 amps on the 12 volt rail (I think). Get somebody else more experienced to verify this...

Good luck
Score
0
February 18, 2012 10:14:16 AM

shadow_city said:
It should run it without problems. What we need to know is how many amps you have on the 12v+ rail. It is a label on the PSU. 170 watts divide by 12 is about 15. So you will need at least 15 amps on the 12 volt rail (I think). Get somebody else more experienced to verify this...

Good luck



Well, it that's what matters, then I guess it will run if they offer to sell it with the P.C......
Score
0
Related resources

Best solution

a c 143 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 10:17:10 AM

Yes you're fine running the ti with your 460W PSU, just use the molex adapter and plug the PCIE 6 pin power connector from your PSU. If your PSU doesn't have 1 PCIE 6 Pin Power Connector you'll have to change your PSU without any question.

Total system power with the ti in full stress is 320W, your PSU can deliver that.
Share
February 18, 2012 10:19:22 AM

ilysaml said:
Yes you're fine running the ti with your 460W PSU, just use the molex adapter and plug the PCIE 6 pin power connector from your PSU. If your PSU doesn't have 1 PCIE 6 Pin Power Connector you'll have to change your PSU without any question.

Total system power with the ti in full stress is 320W, your PSU can deliver that.



How do I check what kind of power connectors it has without taking my computer apart?
Score
0
a c 143 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 10:26:51 AM

Score
0
a c 143 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 7:46:19 PM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of running a PSU with adapters though people do and it does work.
I like to make sure my PSU has the 2 6-pin plugs or more for dual GPU's and not use adapters.

Can you list the advantages and disadvantages of running the Molex to PCIE 6 pin , Expert?
Score
0
a c 143 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 8:24:20 PM

I really didn't mean to laugh at you but i did want to know your point of view :lol: 
Quote:
you seem somewhat sensitive, don't want to hurt your feelings over IP Addresses..

I'd love to :lol: 
Score
0
a c 143 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 9:24:54 PM

Not all the Dell PSUs are standard.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 10:03:29 PM

ilysaml said:
Not all the Dell PSUs are standard.
True, but that is the one that's used in the XPS8300.

Score
0
a c 143 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 10:06:39 PM

My dell Dimensions have different PSUs and they are the exact same model, one have a 4 pin molex and the other has the regular sata connectors.
Score
0
a c 143 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 10:10:03 PM

Interesting. But that rail should deliver the rated 150W. Sounds weird.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 10:13:09 PM

ilysaml said:
My dell Dimensions have different PSUs and they are the exact same model, one have a 4 pin molex and the other has the regular sata connectors.
I know there are different revisions in some cases.
Doesn't change the fact that the DPS460DB with pigtailed 6 pin connectors is the psu used in the XPS8300.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 10:27:40 PM

ilysaml said:
Not all the Dell PSUs are standard.

Nowadays they are... They use TFX12v supplies in their slimlines and ATX12v in their regular cases.
Score
0
a c 143 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 11:20:12 PM

Quote:
all this Dell talk and I'm starting to miss mine, still got one at my parents house... ;) 

is this related to the topic?
Score
0
February 26, 2012 9:32:43 AM

Best answer selected by Bemused_Fred.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 1:49:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!