Nvidia GTX 555

G

Hi all,

I will be purchasing an AW x51 which contains a GTX 555. What I am still debating is whether to get a 21.5 or 23 inch monitor.

Reason why I am undecided is because I am unsure whether there will be any meaningful difference how the card will handle a 21.5 inch vs a 23 inch monitor. In other words, will there be a noticeable drop in quality of gaming on a 23 vs a 21.5 with this card or would it be fine regardless of which one?

Many thanks for the help/advice

Depends on games. And not monitor size, but resolution. You will get better performance on 1680x1050, aka you'll be able to turn settings up, but on 1920x1080 the screen will be larger and you should still be able to play at medium-high settings on most games.

I'd choose the latter, because personally, even though I use my PC mainly for gaming, but for other tasks there really is a difference, for example, it's so awkward to use MS Visual Studio on a smaller screen.

Lutfij

Titan
what sunius meant by saying that was you'll get more productivity on a bigger screen.
it also depends on the manufacturer of the monitors. There are montiors that are 23" taht have 1920x1200 res while some have 1920x1080 res. - the latter is the same res for a 21.5" monitor.

honestly, you should get a GTX 560 and turn all them settings to max. On a 1920x1080 res you'll know of the eyecandy when you see them.

It's a laptop, so he cannot choose.

G

It is the x51 desktop from alienware, max graphics card is the gtx 555. Is there a big jump between gtx 555 and gtx 560ti? I saw an acer similarly priced with a gtx 560ti but not sure if the performance difference is that huge?

Lutfij

Titan
Is there a big jump between gtx 555 and gtx 560ti?
it'd be a quantum leap!

how much you paying for that alienware branded desktop cashware?

* i'd ask you to build a rig from the ground up :) - since you're the end user, you'd have a better idea of what to get and how to work with it. plus you'd get much more with a custom self built rig than one assembled in an air-conditioned factory/warehouse (of the same pice) minus the dell/alienware badge.

G

the acer costs about the same as the alienware, except the acer has i7 and 560ti and the alienware has i5 with 555.

If i had the time for building from scratch i would, but I really don't so all I really want is a budget PC for occasional gaming such as CoD MW3 and WoW.

So to confirm, the difference between those 2 graphic cards is noticeable enough to go for the acer you'd say?

Lutfij

Titan
i7 looks and sounds better

can we take a look at the links? and how much time dya have in hand? i'm saying this cos we might have a build ready for ya - and we could give that a shot :)

Lutfij

Titan
i found it hillariuos. Back to the topic

1| go i7 - if you don't want to linger with this thread.
or
2| go custom if you wanna save some cash - learn a bit more and be able to live with it for 3~4 years :)

G

ok so here is the link to the top end x51 machine from dell: price = 950 GBP
http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d00and08&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&model_id=alienware-x51

there is no official link to the acer model, as it is one on offer at a retail store near to me. but essentially it is also 950 GBP and has the 560ti and 12GB RAM rather than 8.

Only thing I really don't like about the acer is the cheap plasticy build it has, as well as almost double the size of the alienware x51 (i live in a really small flat)...

maybe going for i7 with gtx555 is the compromise? (as opposed to i5 with gtx555)?

G

didnt see the post before, sorry.

Thanks for all the feedback, I think I will end up going for the acer, as it can be upgraded more readily than the aw51 and is economically more viable :)

G

Just one last question. I was browsing through the performance section of nvidia which shows the performance of cards on various games. Unfortunately, there are is no performance data on the GTX 555 (OEM). However, judging by the order in which cards are listed (from least powerful at bottom to most powerful at top), I looked at the GTX550 ti as a proxy, which is just one notch below the GTX 555 (OEM).

Can somebody just confirm that GTX 555 (OEM) is indeed as good if not better than GTX 550 ti?

Thanks again!!!

Lutfij

Titan
if you look at the specs sheets of the GTX 555. 550Ti and the 560Ti - you get the biggest picture.

FYI - GTX 560Ti>GTX550Ti>GTX555 - though don't expect it to trump the GTX 560Ti in the eye candy dept :p

edit - a lil correction