CPU & PSU for games rig

My rather aged games rig is looking rather weak & I've not been keeping up with what's fast & what's not so would like some comments on my proposed system:
Asus P8Z77-M PRO
Intel i5 3570
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
8GB DDR3-1600
GTX275 (old hardware)
256GB SSD (old hardware)
Seasonic M12II-430 (old hardware)
Samsung 1080p HDTV

From what I understand the i7s don't provide much advantage, if any, when gaming compared to the i5. Also as I'm unlikely to do much overclocking is there isn't any point in getting a 3570K. I was also wondering about the PSU, would I need to go for something with a few more watts. I was thinking about the possibility of an SLI/crossfire setup so was waiting until I made my mind up on that one. However if I need to upgrade the PSU as well I'd probably go for an Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850w just incase. Does this make sense or have I missed something silly
3 answers Last reply
More about games
  1. Right now Newegg.com has the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKIII 600w $89 and then about $20 in rebates bring it down to $69. However if you really think you might go SLI then they also have the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKII 750w for $109 and $89 after rebate make both of these PSUs heck of a deal for a quality.

Also right now Newegg also has the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K for $229 and a $10 promo code to bring it down to within $5 of the cost of the Intel Core i5-3570. Making it worth it to take advantage and wait to overclock just to get some extra value out of your processor.
  2. 850W will be too much even if doing sli. Something around 650-700W should do the job pretty well if quality. And if you're not going to overclock, i don't see the point in a noctua cooler but if you can squeeze 5 more bucks out of you're pocket to buy the k version then it will be really worth it and you will be able to get the best out of your i5.
  3. But will my current 430w PSU be man enough for the job or do I need to get a more powerful one now? If it's good enough for now then there's no point in replacing it.

I suppose I could ask does the K make it easier to underclock as that's something which may well happen (I went for the mobo with the fact I might want to use it to run a file server off latter in it's life)

The Noctua heatsink was chosen because it's got very good reviews & is easy to duct. Anyway overkill on your CPU cooler is never a bad thing right?

I've not got a budget so I'm not worried about spending the extra to get a K if it gets me more performance or the bigger PSU if it's needed. However I don't want to spend money for the sake of getting new shiny.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Hardware Games