Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No sound/mic in front audio ports

Last response: in Components
August 8, 2012 9:24:23 PM

I just finished building my first computer for myself. I've built 3 Barebone kits before for my ex's family but this was truly my first built computer from all the parts I gathered separately. Anyways, after building it, and booting it up I played around with it and found out that my front audio ports weren't working. I tried googling, looking at threads. I even deleted the drivers and installed new ones directly from RealTek HD Audio. Although my speaker works perfectly fine plugged in the back. When plugging an earphone/headphone into the front port, it isn't recognized at all by my computer. I also use HD Audio not AC'97.

If anyone has any suggestions or replies, all will be very much appreciated. Thank you. :) 

My PC Specifications:

CPU: i5-3570k
CPU FAN: Corsair A50
RAM: Ballistix 8GB 1600MHz 1.5V
MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
SSD: Patriot Pyro 60GB
PSU: 700 Watt OCZ ModXtream Pro
CASE: Lancool PC-K62
HDD: NONE ATM
GPU: NONE ATM

August 8, 2012 9:39:41 PM

Did you double check to make sure the front panel cables are plugged into the right headers on the motherboard?
m
l
August 8, 2012 9:39:55 PM

Hi K3u, could you have a very close look at how you hooked up the front port leads to the motherboard - double check to make sure everything looks ok. Some headers/leads need a bit more work than others.
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 9:41:23 PM

snap:) 
m
l
August 8, 2012 9:50:56 PM

I'll check again, everything seems okay though. Power button is working, reset button is working, HDD LED is working, USB is working. I just looked at the motherboard manual and seems like there's a port on the motherboard just specifically for "Chasis Speaker". Although I can't seem to locate a wire in my Lancool PC-K62. I'll try again and get back to you guys. :D 
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:28:58 PM

Okay, so I checked my PC and everything seems to be plugged in correctly into its port.

POWER SWITCH (Gray & White) is working, RESET SWITCH (Blue & White) is working, HDD LED (Orange & White) is working, POWER LED (Green & White) is working. That's all of the cable besides that, there's HD Audio which is plugged in, and the USB header, which is also plugged in. Maybe I'm not seeing something here that you guys are.
m
l
August 9, 2012 12:19:32 AM

Good - since your case uses an HD Audio header there should be no connectivity issues there.

- I'm reading the using the User Manual found at ftp://europe.asrock.com/manual/Z77%20Extreme4.pdf -->
Try going into your UEFI BIOS and confirming that on-board HD audio is enabled (keep tapping the DEL key during computer boot) --> go to the Advanced tab, then Advanced South Bridge Configuration .....see page 63 (note the front panel setting). If this dosen't help --->

- Try your headphones where the speakers are plugged in (confirming they do work)

- Confirm headphones are plugged into headphone socket on front panel (we've all made this mistake at some point :)  )

- Check for any settings within the HD Audio software that are to do with the front panel. Try changing from "HD Audio" to e.g. "AC97" within the same software options.

- some front sockets are multi function - confirm that the headphone socket is defined as such within the audio software.

- Do you have another audio source connected e.g. creative x-fi?- if yes, set this as the default playback device (right click speaker icon in taskbar)

m
l
August 9, 2012 12:28:51 AM

mesab66 said:
Good - since your case uses an HD Audio header there should be no connectivity issues there.

- Try going into your BIOS and confirming that on-board HD audio is enabled (e.g. DEL key during early boot).

- Try your headphones where the speakers are plugged in (confirming they do work)

- Confirm headphones are plugged into headphone socket on front panel (we've all made this mistake at some point :)  )

- Check for any settings within the HD Audio software that are to do with the front panel. Try changing from "HD Audio" to e.g. "AC97" within the same software options.

- some front sockets are multi function - confirm that the headphone socket is defined as such within the audio software.

- Do you have another audio source connected e.g. creative x-fi?- if yes, set this as the default playback device (right click speaker icon in taskbar)

1. On-Board HD Audio is enabled.
2. Headphones do work where the speakers are plugged (Lime port in the back of PC)
3. Headphones are plugged in correctly in the green lime port in the front port.
4. There's no option to change from HD Audio to AC97, although my computer case does come with BOTH cable, I just chose to plug in HD Audio as to oppose of AC97.
5. ?????????
6. No 3rd party sound card.
m
l

Best solution

August 9, 2012 12:50:12 AM

A couple of links:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/44555-63-front-panel-...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1944803

--> (I know you have) but as a 'final' check make sure the HD Audio connector is pushed hard into the motherboard - some folk have had issues here where the connection was not fully made.

Have a close look at the Realtek Audio Manager (you did install this? - it's on the disc) for socket settings......if you didn't install it then problem solved!

Failling this, you might want to consider using the AC97 leads, and if that fails, there may be a problem with your front panel.
August 9, 2012 1:08:43 AM

k3u said:
1. On-Board HD Audio is enabled.
2. Headphones do work where the speakers are plugged (Lime port in the back of PC)
3. Headphones are plugged in correctly in the green lime port in the front port.
4. There's no option to change from HD Audio to AC97, although my computer case does come with BOTH cable, I just chose to plug in HD Audio as to oppose of AC97.
5. ????????? <-------- Profit??
6. No 3rd party sound card.

m
l
August 9, 2012 2:17:30 AM

Best answer selected by k3u.
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:23:21 AM

mesab66 said:
A couple of links:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/44555-63-front-panel-...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1944803

--> (I know you have) but as a 'final' check make sure the HD Audio connector is pushed hard into the motherboard - some folk have had issues here where the connection was not fully made.

Have a close look at the Realtek Audio Manager (you did install this? - it's on the disc) for socket settings......if you didn't install it then problem solved!

Failling this, you might want to consider using the AC97 leads, and if that fails, there may be a problem with your front panel.

THANK YOU!!!!! The past few days was frustrating thinking I had to RMA the Case / Motherboard. Turns it was either HALF plugged in, which I highly doubt it or this was causing the pins to not be in full contact. After I pulled out the HD Audio I had noticed there was a 1mm stripe of metal scrape sticking in between the pins and the HD Audio plug.

Thank you again and everyone who commented on this thread. :) 

m
l
!