Sign in with
Your question

New computer fro small business

Last response: in Systems
April 25, 2012 3:10:55 PM

Hello,
I need to get a new computer for my business. It is also used for personal stuff. is the a better choice than just the "over the counter" type. Its seems like we end up having to get a new one ever 5-6 years. Is this normal?
April 26, 2012 12:04:01 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Pyree
April 26, 2012 1:21:45 PM

tootntater said:
Hello,
I need to get a new computer for my business. It is also used for personal stuff. is the a better choice than just the "over the counter" type. Its seems like we end up having to get a new one ever 5-6 years. Is this normal?

the IRS lets you depreciate automation equipment on a 5 year basis, so that is about right. Engineers update their computers every 3yrs or less.

if you are tech savvy I say build your own. if not I would maybe buy a Dell with an extended maintenance warranty

what kind of business do you conduct on the PC? do you have special software that needs to loaded or any special requirements that the new PC needs to be able to do?

Related resources
April 26, 2012 3:31:11 PM

Good morning. We have a plumbing and heating business. I use quickbooks pro.

I am so so on the tech savvy part. I do alot of trouble shooting. I also work at the high school so I have learned some on the network server stuff and basic trouble shooting, but do not really need it as we are a small business.

I have a HP pavilion a6010n. It does not work very fast.
April 26, 2012 11:51:57 PM

not totally sure what quick books is since i havent used it, but if it isnt something really demanding, you could get by with a fairly low budget, and for a small business, 5-6 years sounds about right, my parents old business had computers that were maybe 6 or 7 years old and one is still used pretty much on a daily basis, but i wouldnt use it for a business that needs some deal of performance instead of the usual email and word processing like these..
April 27, 2012 8:25:40 AM

tootntater said:
Good morning. We have a plumbing and heating business. I use quickbooks pro.

I am so so on the tech savvy part. I do alot of trouble shooting. I also work at the high school so I have learned some on the network server stuff and basic trouble shooting, but do not really need it as we are a small business.

I have a HP pavilion a6010n. It does not work very fast.

would you like a parts build list for a Basic Office PC?

What is your budget?

what parts are you looking to re-use (if any)

what kind of monitor do you have (size and resolution) do you want a new one?

how much data is on your current hard drive and do you back it up? how?

do you need the floppy drive or Multi-Card reader?

what version of Quickbooks do you have? if its not 2012 are planning to upgrade it?

you need a new OS as this came with Vista home prem (OEM) Win7 home 64 will be $110 for the OEM version $160 for standard

if you are wanting to reuse the case and PSU could you post the PSU model and specs please? is there a 4 or 8 pin 12v CPU plug on the PSU (connects to the motherboard somewhere close to the CPU)

do you prefer Intel or AMD architecture?
April 27, 2012 2:01:51 PM

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. I wish I new more about building my own. But I think I am going to go with new and pass this one down to my teen.

I was looking at
1. Gateway DX4860-UB32P
2. HP Pavilion P7-1254
3. Gateway DX 4860-UB339

Is it better to order online or just go to a store? We have to travel 2-3 hours to get to a big enough town, our town has about 900 people so not to may businesses here. However I have to go get parts in the next couple of days and was thinking of looking then.

Again, thank you so much for you help and input.
April 27, 2012 4:59:49 PM

of those choices I would go with number 3 I think you meant "DX4860-UB33P" as I didn't find one that ended with a "9"
I chose this because it is the fastest of the 3, best HDD and Ram.

I don't think it matters, but I would go the store.
April 27, 2012 9:54:04 PM

Thank you. You do not know how helpful you are. I am so glad that I found this site.
April 28, 2012 5:56:44 AM

tootntater said:
Thank you. You do not know how helpful you are. I am so glad that I found this site.

check online to see that it's available in the store that's near you, and or order online for a store pickup. if that won't fit into your schedule, there nothing wrong with ordering it online and having it delivered.
!