Does a CPU still work even if a single pin fallls off ?

HamdanAlRasam

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Long story short a week ago when I was assembling my computer I placed too much thermal paste on the heat sink and the CPU got stuck to the fan. So today I try to remove the fan and the the CPU comes off with it even the CPU lock knob thingy wasn't opened. So some of the pins on the CPU get bent and I fix them with a credit card except one pin falls off. Now I try to open the computer and everything is powered but there is no output to the TV whatsoever and the computer no longer responds to the shutdown button once it is powered on. Prior to this the computer was working perfectly fine albeit with a lot of thermal paste on the CPU. So where do I go from here ? Do I need to get a new CPU? does the warranty cover the damage? Does a CPU still work even if a single pin fallls off ?

Any help is seriously appreciated and thanks in advance for actually reading this far.

Usually a bent or broken pin will cause the CPU to not work. Sometimes you can get really lucky and break a pin that doesn't effect anything because that wire carried no signal. This is rare to get that lucky though and I would say 99% of the time a broken pin is a death sentence for your CPU. You can try it and see if it does anything but it probably won't. If it doesn't there is nothing you can do but replace the CPU.