Third Party Themes for XP

November 23, 2004 3:01:04 PM

Can anyone tell me why it is so confusing to figure out how to install a
third party theme to XP? Where is the A Plus theme like Windows 98? It can't
be that hard? I have Microsoft Plus for XP, but find no help in the program.
--
BuffaloDream426

More about : party themes

November 25, 2004 1:07:48 AM

"BuffaloDream426" <buffalodream426@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why it is so confusing to figure out how to install a
> third party theme to XP?

Because you are too stupid to modify it...

> Where is the A Plus theme like Windows 98?

On the Plus! 98 CD...

> It can't be that hard? I have Microsoft Plus for XP, but find no help in
> the program.

It isn't that hard...just right click on any blanck place on your desktop
and left click on "Properties"...Themes will be right in your face.

> --
> BuffaloDream426

November 27, 2004 7:58:24 AM

I think the buffalo misunderstood. What if a third party theme isn't a
*.Theme format. Was a time I could "skin" Win95 with various things, but XP
doesn't seem to be amenable. What happened to me was "impossible"
according to MS support. I'm running XP Home and my XP theme is nowhere to
be found. Yes I did the click-the-desktop, "themes" tab thing ...but lo and
behold, all I get is Windows Classic, Browse, and look on-line, leading me
to the Plus! sales site. I just want my theme back that I already paid
for, without reinstalling the OS.

It's as simple as sending this post, my newsreader has to be told I'm the
one sending this thing. It's so smart it can't tell what computer it's
being sent from. I guess I'll go through one more laborious configuration
set of tab clicks.

The original "Express 95" Windows Messaging program wasn't this dumb. But,
I refuse to be Buffaloed.
Related resources
November 27, 2004 3:54:46 PM

I remember that I had copied the Win98 Themes into WinXP (or was it
Win2K)...
I will look into it a little bit...I do recall that I did have success
though...

"Stephen" <Stephen@cambio.net> wrote in message
>I think the buffalo misunderstood. What if a third party theme isn't a
>*.Theme format. Was a time I could "skin" Win95 with various things, but
>XP doesn't seem to be amenable. What happened to me was "impossible"
>according to MS support. I'm running XP Home and my XP theme is nowhere to
>be found. Yes I did the click-the-desktop, "themes" tab thing ...but lo
>and behold, all I get is Windows Classic, Browse, and look on-line, leading
>me to the Plus! sales site. I just want my theme back that I already paid
>for, without reinstalling the OS.
>
> It's as simple as sending this post, my newsreader has to be told I'm the
> one sending this thing. It's so smart it can't tell what computer it's
> being sent from. I guess I'll go through one more laborious configuration
> set of tab clicks.
>
> The original "Express 95" Windows Messaging program wasn't this dumb.
> But, I refuse to be Buffaloed.

November 28, 2004 6:39:31 AM

I appreciate it very much. I'm looking for an answer by going through
(laboriously) ALL the possible accesses on my machine, but no matter what I
click, it won't.

Thanks,

Stephen
November 29, 2004 6:21:37 AM

OK...I just tried it and it will work in Windows XP pro!

here is what I did...it will not install on WinXP machine, but copying all
the files from a Win98 machine into C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes and all
works as advertised. I had an old Win98 staging disk that I had and copied
the files from there, right into the Themes folder and it worked when I
selected the theme from the desktop properties...the colors, sound pictures,
everything works as it did in Win98.

!