Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU Coolers - Fan directions?!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 8, 2012 11:22:11 PM

Firstly, lets think about the stock Intel cooler, simple question ,does that fan Intake air toward the heatsink or does it exhaust air away from the cpu?

and, if I were to buy a cooler master hyper 212 evo, which side of the heatsink should I have the fan on? Toward the front of the case or toward the back?

And should this 120mm fan be intaking air into the heatsink or exhausting air away too? thanks :D 
a c 283 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 11:27:59 PM

The stock fan intakes air down into the cooler.

With the 212 Evo, the fan should be parallel to the RAM blowing air through the fins toward the back of the case.
August 8, 2012 11:29:06 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The stock fan intakes air down into the cooler.

With the 212 Evo, the fan should be parallel to the RAM blowing air through the fins toward the back of the case.


So CPU cooler fans are usually intaking air down into the heatsink/fins, they are never exhausts?
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 11:33:16 PM

ITomI said:
So CPU cooler fans are usually intaking air down into the heatsink/fins, they are never exhausts?


Usually, yes, that's true. That doesn't mean that they're NEVER that way though, just usually not. A push/pull setup with two fans (like mine), for example, has one fan as an intake and one fan as an exhaust ("push" and "pull").
August 8, 2012 11:42:57 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Usually, yes, that's true. That doesn't mean that they're NEVER that way though, just usually not. A push/pull setup with two fans (like mine), for example, has one fan as an intake and one fan as an exhaust ("push" and "pull").


Ahh, so you have an intake on the side by your ram (push air onto fins) and an exhaust on the other side toward the back of the case (pull air away)?
a c 283 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 11:43:33 PM

ITomI said:
Ahh, so you have an intake on the side by your ram (push air onto fins) and an exhaust on the other side toward the back of the case (pull air away)?


Yep. :) 
August 8, 2012 11:50:19 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yep. :) 


Thanks again, seems you have been my main source of information tonight DJDeCiBeL :D 
a c 283 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 11:52:34 PM

ITomI said:
Thanks again, seems you have been my main source of information tonight DJDeCiBeL :D 


You're welcome, and I do my best. :) 
!