• Homebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Components
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2012 2:44:02 PM

Hey Guys,

I have a gaming rig that was built by my friend over 5 years ago, have not used it for a while since I have been away for college and while it was state of the art at the time, it is due for an upgrade now. I want to know what components I should pick up and if there is any resale value for the old components.

Components that may need an upgrade
Intel Q6600
Nvidia 8800 ULTRA
Asus Striker Extreme
4GB Corsair CM2X

Components that dont need an upgrade
Ultra 1000w Power Supply
2 Seagate Barracuda 320GB Hard Drives
Mozart Tx Case

I have a massive water-cooling system, the Thermaltake Symphony mini which is broken and I would like to replace it with a much smaller system built into the case, does anyone know how I could do this? I can provide some pictures.

More about : upgrade advice gaming rig

a b 4 Gaming
April 26, 2012 3:11:43 PM

What's your budget? What are you wanting to be able to do with your rig?

Definitely will want to upgrade your GPU. Your proc isn't bad by any means, but if you upgrade your motherboard you're going to upgrade the RAM & PROC too.

Blind, I would say:
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Proc: i7-2600k
GPU: Nvidia 680
RAM: 16 GB of Corsair 1600 ram
SSD: 128 GB Samsung 830 (for OS & program files)

If you can wait a couple of weeks, I would get an Ivy Bridge Proc. The 680 is a monster - my buddy has one of those running BF3 on ultra including AA & Motion Blur and it never skips a beat. That's gonna be some mad duckets though.

Cooler will depend entirely on case specs - I am using air in my system, so I'll let the other guys give you water options.
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:14:42 PM

I am unsure of what I will ultimately be comfortable spending but it would be nice to spend less than $1000 to upgrade my computer although with the list of components you provided, I would be spending

250 on the mobo
300+ on the proc
500 for the gpu
400 for the ram
150 for the ssd

=$1600 holy *** that is a lot of money!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 30, 2012 3:48:48 PM

The 3770k ($350) just released and the specs look promising. I think the 2600k is an excellent proc (315 + $20 gift card from newegg) and the previous Socket 1155 mobos are slightly less expensive.

For GPU, I personally am using a 570 and have been playing BF3 on High Settings. Here's a link($330): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For RAM, I was actually proposing 2 of these kits ($100 total and they're short enough to fit an aftermarket cooler on top of without any issues): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The SSD is where you are going to notice the biggest difference in day to day computing. I would recommend either the Intel 520 series or the Samsung 830 series - I usually wait til either of these are on sale, just got a 128 GB Samsung 830 for $136 but the price just went back up.
m
l
!