Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire HD 6850 & Core2Duo E7400 - Is it all alright?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2012 4:54:49 PM

Hello all.This is my first post on the forum so mistakes are possible.And excuse my english,it's not my mother language.
My case is the following:
I have pretty bad CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8Ghz)
I recently bought the HD 6850 Sapphire Vapor-X with 1GB GDDR5 VRAM.My other parts are: 4GB RAM DDR2 and motherboard Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G.I thought I was going to get good performance in games (particulary Battlefield 3) but i was completely wrong i guess.I tried overclocking the card but i didn't noticed difference at all.Only the gameplay was more choppy and unenjoyable.I made something like a benchmark in BF3 and i noticed that my fps difference between Low and High is between 2 to 5 fps.I tried running 3dmark11 and on the video card results was: stock clock - 3500 , clocked 950/1200 - 4200 so it's obvious that the overclock make difference in the performance of the video card in itself test while in games - almost none difference.My processor test showed the poor 1900-2000 point wich is pretty bad in my mind.That difference between the processor and the GPU is for me the huge bottleneck between them both.I tried running MSI Afterburner in background and i noticed that my video card is running only at MAX 60% so this is another sign of huge bottleneck for me.What do you think? Also,is it normal for me having that bad FPS in Battlefield 3.
On Conquest 64 players Gulf Of Oman (where the action is) i have ruffley 30fps on Low and High (max difference few fps)
And also,the 60% of the GPU were reached on High,on Low it uses probably no more then 40%.From all the things i wroted i think my processor is doing something pretty bad or it's just bottlenecking as hell.Is my configuration doing something wrong or it's just huge bottleneck causing this kind of bad performance...What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!
February 18, 2012 4:57:39 PM

Its your CPU. BF3 multiplayer is demanding on CPU. I have a Sapphire 6850 (not the Vapor-X one) and when playing Battlefield (Bad Company 2) the GPU only runs at like 70% because my CPU limits it a little in multiplayer, and I have a Core 2 Quad.

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-perfor...
February 18, 2012 5:01:14 PM

So from what i understand from your post,I need an i5 or something like that to finally achieve maximum affiency from my video card?
Related resources
February 18, 2012 5:01:55 PM

A quad is definitely preferred for gaming now days. If you can OC that CPU you can probably hold off for a while until you can get a new build.
February 18, 2012 5:06:50 PM

Well that's good to hear.I was worried some of my parts aren't alright.Too badly i can't play smoothly BF3..the game i waited soo long ;(
We'll see..probably when i finish school in June,i'll have the enought money for an i5-2500k.
February 18, 2012 5:11:53 PM

A Sandy Bridge Pentium can beat a Core 2 Duo

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Heck, look for Pentium G840 THEN look for the CPU I have, the Core 2 Quad Q8300. You'll be surprised how efficient Intel Sandy Bridge dual cores are (see the i3-2100) :)  If you get an LGA 1155 board and a Pentium or i3 to hold you off, when you get some cash you can upgrade easily to an i5 (even Ivy Bridge based if you want)
February 18, 2012 5:16:59 PM

I like the idea,but probably i'll be able to deal with my processor for now.About the LGA 1155 board,what model would you propose to me? It's gonna be good to be more of a budget board,because money aren't really coming that much to a 8th grade student :D 
February 18, 2012 5:17:27 PM

If you can overclock that CPU to around 3.5 GHz you should be able to play BF3 in 32 or less people games.
February 18, 2012 5:20:06 PM

diec4st said:
If you can overclock that CPU to around 3.5 GHz you should be able to play BF3 in 32 or less people games.

Unfortunately my motherboard and PSU won't be able to handle CPU overclock :( 
February 18, 2012 5:27:45 PM

tisho_97 said:
Unfortunately my motherboard and PSU won't be able to handle CPU overclock :( 

You could always try to find a cheap used C2Q (my friend plays BF3 on a stock Q9300 @ 2.5 GHz with SLI 550Ti's and it's real smooth). Your only other option is to build from the ground up but I would suggest waiting for Ivy Bridge.

EDIT : Verify your MB/PSU can handle the C2Q first, though.
February 18, 2012 5:48:53 PM

Also guys,I have one last question:
My current processor requires 65W and i'm using Cooler Master 460W Elite.
My current video card requires 127W
If I upgrade to let's say i5-2500k wich requires 95W (and new mobo+ram)
Will i still be able to run with this PSU? I have 500GB HDD Hitachi.I know there isn't gonna have much space but is it going to be OK for atleast few moths until i get money for a new PSU?
February 18, 2012 6:04:05 PM

You do not need a new PSU. The one you have will be fine even if you overclock that CPU and video card.

EDIT: and why won't your motherboard and PSU be able to support overclocking? If the motherboard does not support from bios i might understand(even though it should, even if a small overclock, but can't vouch for that) but what's the problem with the PSU?
February 19, 2012 5:59:30 PM

tisho_97 said:
Also guys,I have one last question:
My current processor requires 65W and i'm using Cooler Master 460W Elite.
My current video card requires 127W
If I upgrade to let's say i5-2500k wich requires 95W (and new mobo+ram)
Will i still be able to run with this PSU? I have 500GB HDD Hitachi.I know there isn't gonna have much space but is it going to be OK for atleast few moths until i get money for a new PSU?

I used to have that PSU with a 125W Athlon X2 6400+ CPU and a Radeon 4770 (uses slightly less power than a 6850 so CPU + GPU would be similar to you) and it had a hard time staying cool. The fan would constantly spin up to ridiculous RPM's to try and cool it down. I sent it for RMA, put an Antec Neo 520W PSU and never heard it spin at all. I still have that setup and it's working great.

All I'm saying is that PSU isn't that great and it may work with a 6850 but it may as well fail quickly.
!