Intel not looking so hot after all

redman2025

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
It looks like Intel maybe in trouble for the long run.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/07/enderle_where_intel_went-wrong_with_layoffs/

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Meh.
Restructuring.
I wouldn't worry.
They're hiring etc also.
Stock market is fickle.
Especially tech stocks.
Due to dynism.
Excuse my spelling/grammar.
Intel is fine and this doesn't keep us from getting a great new chip+future chips.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

It may or may not have a negative impact... this we will only know in time. As to wether or not Intel is looking hot at the moment?

They're burning hot ! :wink:

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
the guy seemed to be only looking on the negative side of intels decision the entire article. poorly written imo, maybe if he would have touched base on the positive reason and/or intel's reason for laying off it would have been a more fair article. the last few paragraphs he is saying "rejoice amd, intel is now weaker", what is that all about?

i could've wrote the same article about amd and how rediculous there acquisition or ati was or i could also note that it gives amd a future and a more solid base to compete with amd, which is what intel is going for with their planned layoff...

both situations have pros and cons, he just never seemed to look at the pros in this article which is like listening to a fanboy preach...

sailer

Splendid
So Intel has some problems. Conroe isn't selling quite as well as expected, isn't quite living up to the expectations that had been promised, and worse, the motherboards for it are buggy for the moment. The motherboard problems will get fixed in time, reality will come to Conroe and people will figure out that its still a good cpu selling for a reasonable cost, at least the lower end ones, and a few fantasy expectations will be dashed.

So what if Intel has a few problems for the moment. As long as Intel doesn't go down a path of self destruction, it will recover and in a couple years, the present problems will be seen as nothing more than a hiccup, businesswise.

If AMD is really smart, it may be able to increase a few percentage points in the marketplace, but AMD has a few problems of its own to work through. Only the future is going to give us any real answers, and my crystal ball doesn't see those answers for the time being. As a result, I'm not going to think about the subject too much.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
So Intel has some problems. Conroe isn't selling quite as well as expected, isn't quite living up to the expectations that had been promised, and worse, the motherboards for it are buggy for the moment. The motherboard problems will get fixed in time, reality will come to Conroe and people will figure out that its still a good cpu selling for a reasonable cost, at least the lower end ones, and a few fantasy expectations will be dashed.

So what if Intel has a few problems for the moment. As long as Intel doesn't go down a path of self destruction, it will recover and in a couple years, the present problems will be seen as nothing more than a hiccup, businesswise.

If AMD is really smart, it may be able to increase a few percentage points in the marketplace, but AMD has a few problems of its own to work through. Only the future is going to give us any real answers, and my crystal ball doesn't see those answers for the time being. As a result, I'm not going to think about the subject too much.

It's all relative.. Inte's Core 2's are selling VERY well. I mean the number aren't there mainly do to the fact that Intel isn't producing enough..lol. They're often sold out and on backorder. This hasn't happened to a processor since the Pentium !!!.

Don't believe me.. check out http://www.shoprbc.com
Go to the CPU's.. they have a realtime supplier query beside each CPU.. check out the amount of units available and on back order. This is for Canada of course but it's been the same worldwide. The articles claiming it's selling slowly are biased and not taking into account that Core 2 Duo sales are selling at maximum capacity (and more).

Most stores in Ottawa, Canada (ShopRBC, PC Cyber) have seen there Athlon64 sales become nearly inexistant and replaced by Core 2 Duo sales. When I went to pick up some computer parts there was a lineup of gamers buying all nearly the same gear.. P5WDH Deluxe and a Core 2 Duo 6600.. like 12 of them one after the other and they weren't even related (didn't know each other).

They're selling quite nicely.. don't worry.. things are finally looking up for Intel and I hope AMD strikes back with something even better.. ;)

It's quite simple.. if you don't believe me.. email Rob@shoprbc.com and ask him first hand...

PS.. they're primarly an AMD reseller too..lol

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
ElmoIsevil wrote:
Sailer wrote:

It's all relative.. Inte's Core 2's are selling VERY well. I mean the number aren't there mainly do to the fact that Intel isn't producing enough..lol. They're often sold out and on backorder. This hasn't happened to a processor since the Pentium !!!.

Don't believe me.. check out http://www.shoprbc.com
Go to the CPU's.. they have a realtime supplier query beside each CPU.. check out the amount of units available and on back order. This is for Canada of course but it's been the same worldwide. The articles claiming it's selling slowly are biased and not taking into account that Core 2 Duo sales are selling at maximum capacity (and more).

Most stores in Ottawa, Canada (ShopRBC, PC Cyber) have seen there Athlon64 sales become nearly inexistant and replaced by Core 2 Duo sales. When I went to pick up some computer parts there was a lineup of gamers buying all nearly the same gear.. P5WDH Deluxe and a Core 2 Duo 6600.. like 12 of them one after the other and they weren't even related (didn't know each other).

They're selling quite nicely.. don't worry.. things are finally looking up for Intel and I hope AMD strikes back with something even better..

It's quite simple.. if you don't believe me.. email Rob@shoprbc.com and ask him first hand...

PS.. they're primarly an AMD reseller too..lol

What E said ^ plus any site that I have trusted for any length of time to give legit previews were pretty much spot on with the performance we're seeing out of the C2D. So not sure why you say it isn't living up to expectations. Its almost exactly where I and many other "old hats" expected it to be when released, shrug.

The only problem I do see at the moment is short supply compared to demand and some motherboards ARE proving a little flaky. That is one reason I put off buying a mobo until there are a few more to choose from. The 590s should hit soon and then we'll see how that goes.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, Intel is doing fine. We even have Core 2 Duo through the official channel here in Serbia and the prices are ok.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

It amazes me.

AMD struggled for years, and is still struggling yet they've done a phenominal job an hopefully are still doing so. Now, Intel cuts some fat, and it's "the sky is falling".

Intel and AMD Fanboys Unite!
.......and off each other

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Yep sorta crazy how some people over-react. They are both pretty big companies and neither are completely dumb. They'll both be around for quite a good while. No worries and competition is great anyway, ups and downs on both sides benefit us all in the long run.

sailer

Splendid
Ok. to Elmoisevil and you, what I meant by Conroe not selling very well was the total sales, not the demand. I think it would have been better if Intel had ramped up the supply so there wouldn't be so much of a back order. That's Intel's decision and not mine.

As to the expectations, perhaps what I've seen is a bit different, at least in the area where I live. For sure, the top end Conroes are great, but they're also very expensive. The mid to bottom end Conroes seem to be about par in comparison to AMD chips, so there seems to be no great advantage there, except that the overclocking of Conroe is better.

I do still believe some people, not all by any means, were expecting gains that belong in a fantasy land. If a game is held back by a video card and not a cpu, then getting a better cpu will result in few, if any, gains. I don't mean to discredit the cpu, Conroe, but only be realistic between what is real and what is make believe.

One thing that has struck me is the mass of motherboard problems that seem to be appearing. This is a problem of the motherboard manufacterors, not of Conroe, and I think those problems will be cleared up in the coming months. Of course, AMD is also having problems with this with its AM2 cpu.

For myself, unless AMD comes back with a cpu that is really great within the next 8 months or so, I plan on getting a Conroe in my next rebuild. That should give time for the motherboard problems to be taken care of and give me a nice stable machine. Maybe the prices will come down a bit too. Don't know about that, but I can hope.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Ok. to Elmoisevil and you, what I meant by Conroe not selling very well was the total sales, not the demand. I think it would have been better if Intel had ramped up the supply so there wouldn't be so much of a back order. That's Intel's decision and not mine.

But what about the great PR that Intel's received for launching the Conroe/Woodcrest/Merom? Intel can safely claim the performance crown with a product that isn't a paper launch (you can get chips, they just take a little time...not like they don't exist). Every month they were behind AMD in performance hurt their image. I'm surprised they waited until they had as much inventory as they did (pretty good supply actually), but it seems to be working for them.

And I think newegg definitely appreciates Intel's business decision :).

G

Why do people post things like that? Who cares? We want to see benchmarks not amateur brabbel.

redman2025

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
If AMD is really smart, it may be able to increase a few percentage points in the marketplace, but AMD has a few problems of its own to work through.

I think they will get a few points in the market but AMD droped the ball with K8L they should of had it ready to ship with in a month or two of core 2. It makes me want to kick butt of the CEO at AMD. :evil: If they would have got K8L out at the same time I think we would have had one heck of a price war going on now. Not saying we don't now but I think it would have been better. 8O

Dell is going to use 20 million amd cpu's between now and Q4 2007. This is were I think AMD is going to start taking some of the market share from Intel.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060905065946.html

sailer

Splendid

But what about the great PR that Intel's received for launching the Conroe/Woodcrest/Merom? Intel can safely claim the performance crown with a product that isn't a paper launch (you can get chips, they just take a little time...not like they don't exist). Every month they were behind AMD in performance hurt their image. I'm surprised they waited until they had as much inventory as they did (pretty good supply actually), but it seems to be working for them.

And I think newegg definitely appreciates Intel's business decision :).

You're right, Intel has the performance crown. I don't argue that. I would have either waited a bit, or run the factories to build up more cpu's to start with, but that's not my business decision, its their's. For sure, Newegg, etc does like Intel's decision, cause a short supply keeps the price up higher than it should be for more profit. For now, I'll wait until the prices come down before I do anything. At elast i hope they come down a bit.

pancito

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Enterprise Managment is a very far reality from sales figures,

It happens in big corporations all the time, when you start doing good you start making non existing job positions, hiring 10 instead of 8 to do a certain task and you get to a point you get as big and fat as intel got.

Layoffs happens even on my 100+ employees company nobody likes them but it happens. It's normal part of the business.

Remember Intel it's not just CPU, they are hot right now on that department but how is everything else?

They are just resizing to a more controlable and efficient work force, that should be their goal.

redman2025

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Why do people post things like that? Who cares? We want to see benchmarks not amateur brabbel.

Not to start a war but here it goes Mr. Only My Opinion Counts.
1.Becouse some people might find it worth reading and have some good things to say about the subject. From the looks of it you don't so see #2.
2.If you don't care then don't read it.
3.If you want to see benchmarks look them up on the net, or do I need to do that for you and hold your hand? :roll:

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
And why would anyone give a damn about their economics? Unless you're a shareholder or an Intl fanboy.

I am sure someone here has stock in Intel and might want to read it!

For that one guy, w00t! For the rest of us, another worthless thread. Not so w00t.
Synergy6

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
And why would anyone give a damn about their economics? Unless you're a shareholder or an Intl fanboy.

I am sure someone here has stock in Intel and might want to read it!

I'm sure that stockholders don't come to CPU forums to get the ticker prices or any info about any holdings.

Oh, and they wouldn't go to a hardware site for information about stocks, that's what a financial section of the paper and the internet is for.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Not trying to kill the messenger, but this Enderle guy doesn't know how to write properly. He needs an editor. He is also a "Member, Industry Advisory Council" for, you guessed it, AMD. Notice the sloppily formatted web site. He needs a web designer. And check out his predictions about the Apple/Intel partnership and his lame anti-Intel, pro-AMD views. Eight months later, it looks like the Apple/Intel partnership is doing just fine.

Mr. Enderle is just a pundit. Like most pundits, he has biases. He's presenting biased opinions, which is fine. That's why we have free speech. I wouldn't like life without the Dvoraks of this world. And he doesn't hide his affiliations, which is commendable. But readers should take his opinions with a grain of salt. And threads like this are a good place to debate these opinions and their relationship to reality. :)

Edit: added 2nd paragraph

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Kukito: gj, :trophy:
... and that, folks, is how you do research these days. Read the article, then find out who the author is affiliated with.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I'm sure that stockholders don't come to CPU forums to get the ticker prices or any info about any holdings.

Oh, and they wouldn't go to a hardware site for information about stocks, that's what a financial section of the paper and the internet is for.

Well, not quite; actually, I remember quite an aggressive one (I'll try to find the link, if you care to read); and, there are many others in here, myself not included.
As a matter of fact, I think they should come to forums like this one; I bet some of the issues here discussed are much more enlightening in computing trends (at all levels!) than many financial sections on other media. Actually, learning about the innards of a chip manufacturer, from silicon to market, could have a more sound impact on decision making, stockholder's wise. Of course, not everyone wants to go that deep; it takes time searching & reading and it's not considered a reliable source. Pitty!

Cheers!

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Not trying to kill the messenger, but this Enderle guy doesn't know how to write properly. He needs an editor. He is also a "Member, Industry Advisory Council" for, you guessed it, AMD. Notice the sloppily formatted web site. He needs a web designer. And check out his predictions about the Apple/Intel partnership and his lame anti-Intel, pro-AMD views. Eight months later, it looks like the Apple/Intel partnership is doing just fine.

Mr. Enderle is just a pundit. Like most pundits, he has biases. He's presenting biased opinions, which is fine. That's why we have free speech. I wouldn't like life without the Dvoraks of this world. And he doesn't hide his affiliations, which is commendable. But readers should take his opinions with a grain of salt. And threads like this are a good place to debate these opinions and their relationship to reality. :)

Edit: added 2nd paragraph

He's like the Bill O'Reilly or the CPU industry..lol