• Homebuilt
  • Gaming
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2012 4:56:34 PM

I'm getting back into building my own rig after 5 years of absence... I've always been an AMD fan, but reading the forum and reviews, Intel seems to be the way to go. If I do go AMD, would investing in multiple video cards compensate for the speed difference between Intel and AMD CPU's? Thanks!

More about : building gaming rig

Best solution

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
April 26, 2012 5:18:19 PM

If you went with AMD for a gaming rig, no you don't need to add multiple video cards to "compensate". Most games are more video card intensive than processor intensive in the first place. While it is indeed true that Intel's 2500k is the best gaming CPU on the market today, a Phenom II is still more than adequate. I would steer clear of the new Bulldozer/FX CPUs though, and if you wanted an AMD gaming computer, your window of time to get a Phenom II is limited as they have been discontinued.

Newegg still has Phenom II 965s left, 975s and 980 (OEM) left. Once those are gone, gamers will be left without a viable option from AMD.
April 26, 2012 5:41:10 PM

nekulturny said:
If you went with AMD for a gaming rig, no you don't need to add multiple video cards to "compensate". Most games are more video card intensive than processor intensive in the first place. While it is indeed true that Intel's 2500k is the best gaming CPU on the market today, a Phenom II is still more than adequate. I would steer clear of the new Bulldozer/FX CPUs though, and if you wanted an AMD gaming computer, your window of time to get a Phenom II is limited as they have been discontinued.

Newegg still has Phenom II 965s left, 975s and 980 (OEM) left. Once those are gone, gamers will be left without a viable option from AMD.

Thank you Nekulturny. I still can't get over how much gaming hardware has progressed. I think I'll go Intel this time around. Had I got back into gaming a year earlier I would have gone AMD for sure. Curse you Intel! ;) 
m
l
Related resources
April 26, 2012 6:14:43 PM

Best answer selected by Metalart.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 26, 2012 6:45:06 PM

Metalart said:
Thank you Nekulturny. I still can't get over how much gaming hardware has progressed. I think I'll go Intel this time around. Had I got back into gaming a year earlier I would have gone AMD for sure. Curse you Intel! ;) 

Hey don't be ashamed man. I know it sucks. Even so, I still do just fine with my Phenom II, but I'm not a heavy gamer. The boyfriend has an i5-2400 with a GTX 460 on his machine, hes a heavier gamer than I. But he can jump on my system and play his Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 and he doesn't complain.

Basically, it boils down to in my opinion, you're best off with the i5 for max gaming, but if its too expensive for you, theres too big of a price gap between Intels quad cores and dual cores their best dual core i3 runs $130 bucks vs their quad i5-2300 is $180. And the Phenom II Denebs are priced in the middle of that. Thats the other bad thing about when the Phenom IIs sell out. Since a quad core is the best choice for a modern system, sub-i5, you're better off with a Phenom II than an i3 dual core. And the FX-4100 and 4170s aren't true quad cores either, contrary to AMD's claims.
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:27:44 PM

nekulturny said:
Hey don't be ashamed man. I know it sucks. Even so, I still do just fine with my Phenom II, but I'm not a heavy gamer. The boyfriend has an i5-2400 with a GTX 460 on his machine, hes a heavier gamer than I. But he can jump on my system and play his Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 and he doesn't complain.

Basically, it boils down to in my opinion, you're best off with the i5 for max gaming, but if its too expensive for you, theres too big of a price gap between Intels quad cores and dual cores their best dual core i3 runs $130 bucks vs their quad i5-2300 is $180. And the Phenom II Denebs are priced in the middle of that. Thats the other bad thing about when the Phenom IIs sell out. Since a quad core is the best choice for a modern system, sub-i5, you're better off with a Phenom II than an i3 dual core. And the FX-4100 and 4170s aren't true quad cores either, contrary to AMD's claims.

Yeah, the I5 is looking to be my best choice... I'm a heavy gamer and also I'll be playing online games. My plan is to invest in a very good motherboard so I can upgrade as new hardware comes out. I'm very much looking forward to building my rig and having fun with all the great games that are out there. I'm going to do some more research and I'll post my final hardware choices in a couple of days. Thanks again for your thoughts. :) 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2012 12:03:27 AM

No problem, don't invest too greatly. Its looking like Ivy Bridge is going to be the final LGA1155 generation CPU.
m
l
April 27, 2012 3:49:23 AM

Wow, thanks for the info.. No doubt once I decide on what to get, I will have all the info I need from folks like you. :) 
m
l
!