Crash to desktop after patching to 1.61 and 1.61b

Hello to all,

I was wondering if any others have been able to play desert combat .7 full
and/or dc final, reliably. I have been crashing to the desktop too
frequently since updating with 1.61, and 1.61b.

I have tried using pwweb.exe in my pb folder, to manually update PB prior to
each and every gaming session. That doesn't help. Crashing to desktop still
happens.

I am using a clean install of WinXP Pro, SP2, ATI Cat 4.12, DX9.0c, and all
the most up to date drivers for all components on my computer.

Fresh installs of Battlefield 1942 (I even bought a new copy on 1/3/05
because my orginal game CD actually cracked and became unreadable). I'm not
using a no-cd patch (yet).

Qs:

- Is there another component of PB in addition to using pbweb.exe that I
should download and update manually?

- Should I reinstall WinXP Pro and only update with Service Pack 1 (avoiding
SP2 altogether)?

- In Battlefield 1942's game browser, should I only be looking for and
joining games using DC Final and NOT desert combat .7?

- IF all the CTD problems are because of the 1.61x patches, can we expect a
fix anytime soon?

I have looked thru the newsgroup and various forums. Most mention pbweb.exe,
but this hasn't seemed to fix the (my) CTD problem.

Thanks much, in advance for any responses,
-S
3 answers Last reply
More about crash desktop patching

    Steven wrote:

    > Well, thanks for responses.
    > Fresh re-installs don't work.
    > I uninstalled BF1942 and all DC stuff. Rebooted the computer, Installed
    > BF1942 from my new CDs, installed the 1.6.19 patch, then the 1.61b patch,
    > and then Desert Combat Final.
    > Previously, I used to at least get into a game to crash out randomly during
    > gameplay.
    > With all new installs, I can load BF1942, browse for game, click to join a
    > game, once the loading bar finishes, I get kick directly to the desktop even
    > FASTER than before.
    >
    > Serously, are you guys using 1.61b? Succesfully?
    >
    > -s

    Yes mate. No one has reported problems, but we dont play vanilla BF,
    only DCF. Does that connect? Im stumped mate. Certainly we have
    already had all our mods installed on the client machines before
    updating g to 1.61b. What about Punkbuster? Is that installed? Has it
    been updated with PBweb? Can you join non punkbuster servers? Can you
    start a single player game or your own server? Patches can get
    corrupted but still be installed and appear okay, did u d/l the patches
    from another website?

    Theres loads of stuff to try yet. Try installing just vanilla bf with
    no patches and no mods, see if works ok in single player, then apply
    each patch and check by creating your own server, finally apply 1.61 and
    then 1.61b and no mods at all, see what happens. If you connect okay it
    may be a mod conflict, maybe d/l the mod again. failing all that we can
    start to look at other things as you will have eliminated a lot of
    stuff, but you gotta be methodical. I feel for ya mate....
    --
    [ATF]NoX
    Clan ATF

    carl wrote:
    > Steven wrote:
    >

    >> Well, thanks for responses.
    >> Fresh re-installs don't work.
    >> I uninstalled BF1942 and all DC stuff. Rebooted the computer,
    >> Installed BF1942 from my new CDs, installed the 1.6.19 patch, then the
    >> 1.61b patch, and then Desert Combat Final.
    >> Previously, I used to at least get into a game to crash out randomly
    >> during gameplay.
    >> With all new installs, I can load BF1942, browse for game, click to
    >> join a game, once the loading bar finishes, I get kick directly to the
    >> desktop even FASTER than before.
    >>
    >> Serously, are you guys using 1.61b? Succesfully?
    >>
    >> -s
    >>

    > Yes mate. No one has reported problems, but we dont play vanilla BF,
    > only DCF. Does that connect? Im stumped mate. Certainly we have
    > already had all our mods installed on the client machines before
    > updating g to 1.61b. What about Punkbuster? Is that installed? Has it
    > been updated with PBweb? Can you join non punkbuster servers? Can you
    > start a single player game or your own server? Patches can get
    > corrupted but still be installed and appear okay, did u d/l the patches
    > from another website?
    >
    > Theres loads of stuff to try yet. Try installing just vanilla bf with
    > no patches and no mods, see if works ok in single player, then apply
    > each patch and check by creating your own server, finally apply 1.61 and
    > then 1.61b and no mods at all, see what happens. If you connect okay it
    > may be a mod conflict, maybe d/l the mod again. failing all that we can
    > start to look at other things as you will have eliminated a lot of
    > stuff, but you gotta be methodical. I feel for ya mate....

    One thing I forgot to mention if its DC Final you are trying to connect
    to then you also need DC.7 installed. DC Final requires DC.7 to run -
    its like a mod of a mod....

    --

    "Steven" <s.severson@comnospamcast.net> skrev i meddelandet
    > "carl" <please.reply@group.tks> wrote in message

    I had similar problems with BFV, Did a complete reinstall with antivirus
    scanner disabled, and it worked again. :)

    Gubb

Desktops Games Video Games