Anyone using a Nokia 9300 on Cingular?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 26, 2005 5:12:15 AM

It looks more and more as though Nokia isn't going to release an
850/1800/1900 version of the Nokia 9300, which looks to me like the best
PDA/phone combination out there. I've been wondering whether to get one
anyway, gambling on the availability of 1900 service.

Is there anyone out there currently using that phone on the Cingular
network? If so, what is your experience?

--
Remove NOPSAM to email
www.daviddfriedman.com

More about : nokia 9300 cingular

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:57:29 PM

In <ddfr-6E5B3C.01121526072005@news.isp.giganews.com> on Tue, 26 Jul 2005
01:12:15 -0700, David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:

>It looks more and more as though Nokia isn't going to release an
>850/1800/1900 version of the Nokia 9300, which looks to me like the best
>PDA/phone combination out there. I've been wondering whether to get one
>anyway, gambling on the availability of 1900 service.
>
>Is there anyone out there currently using that phone on the Cingular
>network? If so, what is your experience?

Depends on where you are.

July 27, 2005 3:52:54 PM

David Friedman wrote:

> It looks more and more as though Nokia isn't going to release an
> 850/1800/1900 version of the Nokia 9300, which looks to me like the best
> PDA/phone combination out there. I've been wondering whether to get one
> anyway, gambling on the availability of 1900 service.

I just got the latest Nokia newsletter email, which includes a link for the
9300 pages on their site. Specs say 850/1800/1900 & 1.3 mp camera.
Phonescoop's article & user reviews seem to indicate some have already
bought it outside the US & it's been used (although not available from)
T-Mobile. No camera in the presently available version.

Bill K
July 28, 2005 1:05:45 AM

In article <qAKFe.7869$Eo3.3103@trnddc08>,
Bill Kraski <Bill.Kraski.NoSpam@verizon.invalid> wrote:

> David Friedman wrote:
>
> > It looks more and more as though Nokia isn't going to release an
> > 850/1800/1900 version of the Nokia 9300, which looks to me like the best
> > PDA/phone combination out there. I've been wondering whether to get one
> > anyway, gambling on the availability of 1900 service.
>
> I just got the latest Nokia newsletter email, which includes a link for the
> 9300 pages on their site. Specs say 850/1800/1900 & 1.3 mp camera.

Are you sure you aren't thinking about the 9500? That's the one with the
camera. Unless it's changed in the last few days, the 9300 page on the
Nokia site says 900/1800/1900, as does the 9500 page. I hope you are
right, but I fear you are wrong. What was the URL of the page you saw?

> Phonescoop's article & user reviews seem to indicate some have already
> bought it outside the US & it's been used (although not available from)
> T-Mobile. No camera in the presently available version.

The 9300 has been out for a while in Europe--but in the European version.

On the subject of "customer service" raised downthread ... . If Nokia,
having announced that the 9300 and 9500 would be available in
850/1800/1900, then changed their minds without making any public
announcement of the change, I think they are doing a poor job of serving
potential customers, whether or not it classifies as customer service.

--
Remove NOSPAM to email
Also remove .invalid

In article <ddfr-93A43A.21054327072005@news.isp.giganews.com>,
David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote:

> In article <qAKFe.7869$Eo3.3103@trnddc08>,
> Bill Kraski <Bill.Kraski.NoSpam@verizon.invalid> wrote:
>
> > David Friedman wrote:
> >
> > > It looks more and more as though Nokia isn't going to release an
> > > 850/1800/1900 version of the Nokia 9300, which looks to me like the best
> > > PDA/phone combination out there. I've been wondering whether to get one
> > > anyway, gambling on the availability of 1900 service.
> >
> > I just got the latest Nokia newsletter email, which includes a link for the
> > 9300 pages on their site. Specs say 850/1800/1900 & 1.3 mp camera.
>
> Are you sure you aren't thinking about the 9500? That's the one with the
> camera. Unless it's changed in the last few days, the 9300 page on the
> Nokia site says 900/1800/1900, as does the 9500 page. I hope you are
> right, but I fear you are wrong. What was the URL of the page you saw?
>
> > Phonescoop's article & user reviews seem to indicate some have already
> > bought it outside the US & it's been used (although not available from)
> > T-Mobile. No camera in the presently available version.
>
> The 9300 has been out for a while in Europe--but in the European version.
>
> On the subject of "customer service" raised downthread ... . If Nokia,
> having announced that the 9300 and 9500 would be available in
> 850/1800/1900, then changed their minds without making any public
> announcement of the change, I think they are doing a poor job of serving
> potential customers, whether or not it classifies as customer service.

I just checked the Nokia site, and it does indeed list the phone as
850/1800/1900. Hopefully it isn't just a mistake. I am pretty certain it
was 900/1800/1900 a week or two back.

The 9500 still shows as 900/1800/1900.

--
Remove NOSPAM to email
Also remove .invalid

> I guess, after getting tired of the whining with no relationship to
> reality,
> I get to suggest you get a life.

Why do you say that Bill K? You think enough of my comments, not only to
read them, but to post a reply.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 4:30:47 PM

David Friedman wrote:

> Are you sure you aren't thinking about the 9500? That's the one with the
> camera. Unless it's changed in the last few days, the 9300 page on the
> Nokia site says 900/1800/1900, as does the 9500 page. I hope you are
> right, but I fear you are wrong. What was the URL of the page you saw?

You're right. It was late when I read it. No camera.

> The 9300 has been out for a while in Europe--but in the European version.

The link in the newsletter must be a Nokia USA page. No mention of
900/1800/1900.

> On the subject of "customer service" raised downthread ... . If Nokia,
> having announced that the 9300 and 9500 would be available in
> 850/1800/1900, then changed their minds without making any public
> announcement of the change, I think they are doing a poor job of serving
> potential customers, whether or not it classifies as customer service.

Well, my comment to BBB related to his continual downing Cingular CS, which
is not likely to have ANY effect on your comments above till Cingular
carries the 9300 & deals with Cingular 9300 owners. There may be Cingular
input into the Nokia decision making process, but not at the Cingular CS
level.

Bill K
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:00:02 PM

BBB wrote:

>> I guess, after getting tired of the whining with no relationship to
>> reality,
>> I get to suggest you get a life.
>
> Why do you say that Bill K? You think enough of my comments, not only to
> read them, but to post a reply.

No, it's not that I think enough of them to read & comment. It's that I
fully read threads of interest, including your posts. You've recently
become more prolific in spreading your "Cingular CS stinks" viewpoint,
whether it relates to the topic at hand or not. Consider several things:

1) If you read posts of those who have used more than one cell carrier or
conversed with people using carriers other than Cingular, CS complaints for
all of them are pretty similar.

2) The question you responded to, in this thread, was how well the Nokia
9300 works with Cingular. The response was "Depends on where you are."
Which makes sense, since the present incarnation of the 9300 is
900/1800/1900, which eliminates coverage in areas where 800/850 on the
phone might give coverage. That's not a Cingular CS decision. The phone
manufacturer didn't include full US coverage, yet.

Having the same response to all shortcomings of any carrier, whether it's
Cingular or not, is a very narrow & limited viewpoint. And, certainly, in
discussing things that don't have anything to do with CS, responding that
it's another example of CS shortcomings is, at best, incorrect &
inappropriate. And, with the volume of that same response, it gets old
very quickly.

HAND

Bill K
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:09:53 AM

In <ddfr-14D648.00014928072005@news.isp.giganews.com> on Thu, 28 Jul 2005
00:01:49 -0700, David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote:

>I just checked the Nokia site, and it does indeed list the phone as
>850/1800/1900. Hopefully it isn't just a mistake. I am pretty certain it
>was 900/1800/1900 a week or two back.
>
>The 9500 still shows as 900/1800/1900.

You have to be careful of websites, because some will show different content
depending on where you're located; e.g., USA content for USA connection, EU
content for EU connections.

I checked Phone Scoop, which is pretty reliable, and it seem that the 9300
will be offered in two tri-band versions, 850/1800/1900 for the USA, with
Cingular listed as Tentative, and 900/1800/1900 for outside the USA.
<http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=607&gt;

July 29, 2005 8:05:19 PM

In article <Xd4Ge.8008$wA1.555@trnddc09>,
Bill Kraski <Bill.Kraski.NoSpam@verizon.invalid> wrote:

> David Friedman wrote:
>
> > Are you sure you aren't thinking about the 9500? That's the one with the
> > camera. Unless it's changed in the last few days, the 9300 page on the
> > Nokia site says 900/1800/1900, as does the 9500 page. I hope you are
> > right, but I fear you are wrong. What was the URL of the page you saw?
>
> You're right. It was late when I read it. No camera.
>
> > The 9300 has been out for a while in Europe--but in the European version.
>
> The link in the newsletter must be a Nokia USA page. No mention of
> 900/1800/1900.
>
> > On the subject of "customer service" raised downthread ... . If Nokia,
> > having announced that the 9300 and 9500 would be available in
> > 850/1800/1900, then changed their minds without making any public
> > announcement of the change, I think they are doing a poor job of serving
> > potential customers, whether or not it classifies as customer service.
>
> Well, my comment to BBB related to his continual downing Cingular CS, which
> is not likely to have ANY effect on your comments above till Cingular
> carries the 9300 & deals with Cingular 9300 owners. There may be Cingular
> input into the Nokia decision making process, but not at the Cingular CS
> level.

My comment was on Nokia's customer service, not Cingular's.

--
Remove NOSPAM to email
Also remove .invalid

In article <5BdGe.6043$p%3.32183@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <ddfr-14D648.00014928072005@news.isp.giganews.com> on Thu, 28 Jul 2005
> 00:01:49 -0700, David Friedman <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >I just checked the Nokia site, and it does indeed list the phone as
> >850/1800/1900. Hopefully it isn't just a mistake. I am pretty certain it
> >was 900/1800/1900 a week or two back.
> >
> >The 9500 still shows as 900/1800/1900.
>
> You have to be careful of websites, because some will show different content
> depending on where you're located; e.g., USA content for USA connection, EU
> content for EU connections.
>
> I checked Phone Scoop, which is pretty reliable, and it seem that the 9300
> will be offered in two tri-band versions, 850/1800/1900 for the USA, with
> Cingular listed as Tentative, and 900/1800/1900 for outside the USA.
> <http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=607&gt;

Poking around the Nokia site, I find:

Phone may be used in countries or areas with compatible GSM
(900/1800/1900 Mhz) frequency systems, subject to roaming services
provided or arranged by your mobile provider.

(http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/9300)

Tri-band EGSM 850/1800/1900 MHz
(http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/9300/0,7747,feat:1,00.ht...)

The second of those pages being what you get when you click the "See
more Nokia 9300 smartphone features >>" link on the first page!

And the second page also has the same bit I quoted from the first page.

It sounds as though they plan to release the phone in the U.S. at the
beginning of August--but I still can't tell if it will be the 850 or
900 version.

--
Remove NOSPAM to email
Also remove .invalid

David Friedman wrote:

t to BBB related to his continual downing Cingular CS,
>> which is not likely to have ANY effect on your comments above till
>> Cingular
>> carries the 9300 & deals with Cingular 9300 owners. There may be
>> Cingular input into the Nokia decision making process, but not at the
>> Cingular CS level.
>
> My comment was on Nokia's customer service, not Cingular's.

Of no consequence to BBB. He'll still try to tie it to his rant about
Cingular CS. Which was my reason for complaining. Whether his viewpoint
is valid or not, it had nothing at all to do with the context of this
thread. If he were talking about Nokia CS, it might at least have had a
tenuous relationship to the rest of the thread. ;-)

Bill K
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 9:24:13 PM

While on vacation I bought a Nokia 9300 in Germany and it works just
fine here (SF Bay Area). I am an "old AT&T" Cingular customer and all
I had to do was to pop in my SIM card from my old 3650 and presto it
worked. I have it since a week adn had no problems so far. I will be
traveling to the East coast next week but expect no problems.

But here comes the BEST part:
On http://tinyurl.com/cy568 I found a configurator for the settings to
set up the configuration for
* Mobile browsing (WAP/GPRS settings)
* Multimedia messaging (MMS settings)
* Internet access point (Internet settings)

It's an European site and even though you can't buy the Nokia 9300 in
the US, it let's you specify your (US !) carrier, your access point
etc. and then sends you the settings as an SMS to your phone.

That's what I call service! :)

--
n0kia
August 5, 2005 5:41:48 PM

Because you bought your 9300 in Germany, you probably got the GSM
900/1800/1900 variant, which means it *won't* work in areas where Cingular
only has GSM 850 coverage. In other words, you're lucky that the SF Bay Area
has GSM 1900 coverage.

In <n0kia.1t9gvy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:24:13
-0500, n0kia <n0kia.1t9gvy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>While on vacation I bought a Nokia 9300 in Germany and it works just
>fine here (SF Bay Area). I am an "old AT&T" Cingular customer and all
>I had to do was to pop in my SIM card from my old 3650 and presto it
>worked. I have it since a week adn had no problems so far. I will be
>traveling to the East coast next week but expect no problems.
>
>But here comes the BEST part:
>On http://tinyurl.com/cy568 I found a configurator for the settings to
>set up the configuration for
>* Mobile browsing (WAP/GPRS settings)
>* Multimedia messaging (MMS settings)
>* Internet access point (Internet settings)
>
>It's an European site and even though you can't buy the Nokia 9300 in
>the US, it let's you specify your (US !) carrier, your access point
>etc. and then sends you the settings as an SMS to your phone.
>
>That's what I call service! :)

August 5, 2005 5:41:49 PM

Hi John,

you're absolutely right. Fortunately I bought it used from a friend
for $200 and we agreed that I can return it to him if it doesn't work
:-)
Do you have any ideas of areas where AT&T/Cing has only GSM 900
coverage? Is there a map somewhere?

Thanks
Christopher

--
n0kia
August 5, 2005 5:41:49 PM

In article <w0KIe.7569$p%3.34633@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> Because you bought your 9300 in Germany, you probably got the GSM
> 900/1800/1900 variant, which means it *won't* work in areas where Cingular
> only has GSM 850 coverage. In other words, you're lucky that the SF Bay Area
> has GSM 1900 coverage.

So far as I can tell, there is no 850/1800/1900 variant of the 9300
available to buy. What isn't clear is whether there is going to be. The
Nokia web pages are inconsistent on the subject. I corresponded with
Nokia, and was basically told that they do not know if they will ever
bring it out--but of course, the person I was corresponding with may not
have known, or been free to tell, the whole story.

--
Remove NOSPAM to email
Also remove .invalid

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:06:42 -0500, n0kia
<n0kia.1taomy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>you're absolutely right. Fortunately I bought it used from a friend
>for $200 and we agreed that I can return it to him if it doesn't work
>:-)
>Do you have any ideas of areas where AT&T/Cing has only GSM 900
>coverage? Is there a map somewhere?

AT&T/"Cing" has no GSM 900 coverage *anywhere.* The only GSM 900 at
all in North America is in Cuba! North America is all GSM 850 and GSM
1900. AT&T Wireless had 1900 coverage everywhere and 850 in a lot of
areas (where they were one of the two cellular providers in the area),
cingular's native coverage was mostly 850 excepting California, Nevada
and the Carolinas (where they were never one of the cellular
carriers.) In those areas it was only 1900. Since cingular took over
AT&T Wireless back in October cingular has access to AT&T's network
which was both 850 and 1900. cingular is in a process to move all
their California/Nevada customers from their "legacy" network to the
old AT&T Wireless network and the old network was sold to T-Mobile.
- -
!