Should I wait for Ivy Bridge i3 or just get i3 -2120?

ModernKamikaze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
I'll be doing gaming but not that hardcore just as long it's smooth.
Along with a HD 7750.

Will be doing some light photoshop.

Also want less hole in the bill but more performance.

I was going to get an i3 2120 but They say in Q3 2012 they will be releasing i3 3220,3225, and 3240.

Will it be worth getting it or should I just stay with my original idea?

BTW, I have an ASUS P8H61-M LX motherboard, it's LGA 1155 and it says it's future 22nm ready.

Solution
On average Ivy Bridge is about 5% more powerful than Sandy Bridge. Playing a CPU bound game like Skyrim, you might notice a tiny increase in frame frames... tiny.

Ivy Bridge Core i5/i7 CPU consumes about 15w - 20w less power than their Sandy Bridge counterparts. Since Core i3 only has two cores the power savings should be less than that.

Ivy Bridge CPUs supports PCI-e 3.0 on the motherboard assuming the motherboard has a PCI-e 3.0 slot. Sandy Bridge CPU only supports the PCI-e 2.0 standard. If you are not going to buy a $400+ graphic card two generations from now, then you need not worry. Mainstream graphic cards (like the current generation Radeon HD 7750) will probably not be bottlenecked by PCI-e 2.0 for at least another 3...
On average Ivy Bridge is about 5% more powerful than Sandy Bridge. Playing a CPU bound game like Skyrim, you might notice a tiny increase in frame frames... tiny.

Ivy Bridge Core i5/i7 CPU consumes about 15w - 20w less power than their Sandy Bridge counterparts. Since Core i3 only has two cores the power savings should be less than that.

Ivy Bridge CPUs supports PCI-e 3.0 on the motherboard assuming the motherboard has a PCI-e 3.0 slot. Sandy Bridge CPU only supports the PCI-e 2.0 standard. If you are not going to buy a $400+ graphic card two generations from now, then you need not worry. Mainstream graphic cards (like the current generation Radeon HD 7750) will probably not be bottlenecked by PCI-e 2.0 for at least another 3 generations from now.

Solution