Sign in with
Your question

Advice needed.

Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2012 6:08:33 PM

Okay, this system isn't built yet, so things can still change, BUT! I'd like to request ratings and advice on what could be changed to make it better, or more effecient.

Basically, any bottlenecks or performance killers is what i really want to identify and eliminate.

So here we go:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k
RAM: 16gb Kingston 1333mhz
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
Harddisks:
1x 120GB Corsair SSD Force Series 3 - System.
2x 1TB SATA - Storage.
1x 2TB SATA - Storage.
1x 500GB SATA - Games.
Optical Drives:
1x Lite-On Blu-Ray Writer iHBS112
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
GFX: 2x EVGA GeForce 560GTX 1GB
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Monitors: 2 @ 1920x1080 | 1 @ 1280 x 1024

More about : advice needed

April 26, 2012 6:11:26 PM

capalex65 said:
Okay, this system isn't built yet, so things can still change, BUT! I'd like to request ratings and advice on what could be changed to make it better, or more effecient.

Basically, any bottlenecks or performance killers is what i really want to identify and eliminate.

So here we go:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k
RAM: 16gb Kingston 1333mhz
Mobo: ASUS P8>77-v LX
Harddisks:
1x 120GB Corsair SSD Force Series 3 - System.
2x 1TB SATA - Storage.
1x 2TB SATA - Storage.
1x 500GB SATA - Games.
Optical Drives:
1x Lite-On Blu-Ray Writer iHBS112
PSU: Cooler Master GX 750W
GFX: 2x EVGA GeForce 560GTX 1GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF X

What's your monitor's resolution?
April 26, 2012 6:15:51 PM

Oh right. Forgot about that. 2 monitors at 1920x1080 and 1 at 1280x1024.
Related resources
April 27, 2012 2:50:19 PM

Changed a couple of things. New case and new PSU. Added monitor specs.
April 27, 2012 4:28:55 PM

I'd ditch the Force 3 and go with a Marvell-based drive (Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Plextor PX-M3, Kingston Hyper X). I'm not big on Sandforce as most of the drives available are prone to issues, BSODs, and errors.

Instead of 2 x 560TI I'd go with a single Radeon 7870 or 7950 - you'll get far better performance and it will be easier to hook up multiple displays.

I'd also switch out the Silent Pro - they're very questionable reliability and Cooler Master has a reputation of slapping false labels and fake certifications on their PSU - which is funny because they make great cases and heat sinks. Try this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 27, 2012 6:39:51 PM

They aren't TI cards. And i already have the first of the cards. So it's buying a second card (That i'm familiar with already.) instead of buying a card i've got no experience with. (I've never had an ATI card in my life.) And i've got certain games made to perform better with nVidia cards. ;) 

Regarding the SSD, what's the difference between the Sandforce based drives and the Marvell based ones?
April 27, 2012 7:35:49 PM

capalex65 said:
They aren't TI cards. And i already have the first of the cards. So it's buying a second card (That i'm familiar with already.) instead of buying a card i've got no experience with. (I've never had an ATI card in my life.) And i've got certain games made to perform better with nVidia cards. ;) 

Regarding the SSD, what's the difference between the Sandforce based drives and the Marvell based ones?

I've had plenty of ATI/AMD cards and they've vastly improved since the merger and if there's a driver issue AMD usually doesn't screw around with getting it fixed. I definitely don't have anything against EVGA - they make some great cards and I buy from them all the time.

As far as the SSD goes - the Sandforce drive is faster but not as stable. The Marvell drives are slower but you won't really notice and they're far more stable than Sandforce drives. The OCZ Vertex 4 is using an entirely new controller and you can read about it here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vertex-4-everest-2-...
!