Neither The XBOX Or PS Have HDMI?

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:41:08 +1000, "Justern"
<justernNO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Why would they take advantage of a single cable for Audio/Video...

The PS3 has 2 HDMI ports. Not sure about the 360.

"Justern" <justernNO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why would they take advantage of a single cable for Audio/Video...

Wah?
The PS3 has 2

theone

so what's the 360 using? DVI and optical? What a bummer. How many HDMI
inputs are they putting on the latest LCDs and DLPs? I was thinking
about upgrading next Spring when I move.

theone

that would definitely be a far reach since that demographic is probably
less than 1% of there sales. Buy hey its sony, what do I know; they
also create new formats and standards all the time

~unrelated but suddenly comes to mind; has anyone actually bought those
psp movie discs? I wanted to laugh at your cost :)

1080p looks nifty though. I knew there was a reason I hadn't bought a
HDTV for the living room yet .

On 31 May 2005 22:40:55 -0700, "theOne" <cmtipton@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm wondering. What good would 2 be? I mean for a reciever yeah. But
>Don't you only need one for a console?

I'm not sure what practical use 2 HDMI ports serve BUT the impractical
use is that I believe the PS3 supports a 32:9 mode were you use 2
HDTV's to display a game. I cant belive that would be the primary
reason they would include 2 HDMI ports, but who knows?

"theOne" <cmtipton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> so what's the 360 using? DVI and optical?

It looks like MS is using the same digital output it is currently using on
the XBox.
We will most likely have to purchase a Hi-Def adapter that will hopefully
use all digital sources (optical, coax, component, DVI and HDMI)

> What a bummer. How many HDMI
> inputs are they putting on the latest LCDs and DLPs?

Currently, most companies only use one HDMI input.
In the near future they will most likely go to 2.
I guess they figure DVI and HDMI switching will be added to most
receivers/preamps in the near future so why bother adding pricey features to
an already pricey unit.

> I was thinking
> about upgrading next Spring when I move.

To what?

"Imperium" <frankmelo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On 31 May 2005 22:40:55 -0700, "theOne" <cmtipton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm wondering. What good would 2 be? I mean for a reciever yeah. But
>>Don't you only need one for a console?
>
> I'm not sure what practical use 2 HDMI ports serve BUT the impractical
> use is that I believe the PS3 supports a 32:9 mode were you use 2
> HDTV's to display a game. I cant belive that would be the primary
> reason they would include 2 HDMI ports, but who knows?

Hopefully is for playing on 2 separate viewing sources for lan type games.
1 system, 1 gaming disk, multiple t.v.'s

On 31 May 2005 23:56:02 -0700, "theOne" <cmtipton@gmail.com> wrote:

>that would definitely be a far reach since that demographic is probably
> less than 1% of there sales. Buy hey its sony, what do I know; they
>also create new formats and standards all the time
>
>~unrelated but suddenly comes to mind; has anyone actually bought those
>psp movie discs? I wanted to laugh at your cost :)
>
>1080p looks nifty though. I knew there was a reason I hadn't bought a
>HDTV for the living room yet .

I'm also in the market for an HDTV but unfortunately it doesn't look
like there will be many models that will except a 1080p input in the
near future. I want to buy an HDTV this year, so I'll probably get a
native 720p LCD/DLP and look to upgrade to 1080p when there's enough
content.

theone

and lastly....

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000003043993/

Toshiba has 3 lined up. Hold off Imperium, and get a 1080p!

On 2 Jun 2005 06:30:10 -0700, "theOne" <theone.usenet@gmail.com>
wrote:

>and lastly....
>
>http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000003043993/
>
>Toshiba has 3 lined up. Hold off Imperium, and get a 1080p!

I'm seriously considering the new Samsung HLR5668 DLP due out later
this month. While the TV has a native 1080p display, it will not
accept a 1080p signal. I suspect the same also applies to most of
the 1080p displays being released this year. It's not a big deal to
me but I'm hesitant to take the plunge until I can get some
confirmation that lag will not be an issue during gaming as it has
been with some older models.

theone

well, it is funny at how liquid money is to some (that probably don't
have alot to begin with), I don't buy into the Sony ploys, obviously
others have no wit about them. Think about it. Pay Sony, to rehash the
same movies at a lower resolution to play on a single device? Why not
just carry a small DVD player or ultra portable laptop. Guess it's just
me. I wouldn't pay them a nickel for one of those things; shoulda put a
mmc/sd card slot on one of those as every other of their "memory stick"
appliances. It's ludicrous to think I would re-buy my dvd collection,
sub-par at that!

> that would definitely be a far reach since that demographic is probably
> less than 1% of there sales. Buy hey its sony, what do I know; they
> also create new formats and standards all the time
>
> ~unrelated but suddenly comes to mind; has anyone actually bought those
> psp movie discs? I wanted to laugh at your cost :)

Not as funny as you think. This is from the PSP hack site.
Sony PSP UMD Movies are a Sales Success (Addict 3D)
Two UMD movies for the PSP have now sold more than 100,000 copies each.
House of Flying Daggers and Resident Evil 2, both released April 19. This is
pretty amazing, because the number of Sony PSP sold is about 1.2 million in
the USA right now.

"theOne" <theone.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> well, it is funny at how liquid money is to some (that probably don't
> have alot to begin with), I don't buy into the Sony ploys, obviously
> others have no wit about them. Think about it. Pay Sony, to rehash the
> same movies at a lower resolution to play on a single device? Why not
> just carry a small DVD player or ultra portable laptop. Guess it's just
> me. I wouldn't pay them a nickel for one of those things; shoulda put a
> mmc/sd card slot on one of those as every other of their "memory stick"
> appliances. It's ludicrous to think I would re-buy my dvd collection,
> sub-par at that!

I don't know. With the list of studios that have signed on and the titles
that have been announced, I have a feeling this is a phenomena that is not
going away. I just ordered a 1GB memory stick from best buy to replace my
512 so that I can watch full length movies on my PSP. You are right, the
picture quality is not that of DVD but on that little ass screen, you would
really have to be looking for differences because some of my converted
movies and TV shows look darn near perfect.

theone

ohh you're totally right. If the res is as big as the res of the
display than it's perfect. Further, I wouldn't contest that it's going
away, just that I personally feel it's a total waste of money. But hey,
if it has a memory stick slot that's awhole lot better than purchasing
disks. Curious though; do they give you software to convert to some
mpeg4 container?

theone

ohh you're totally right. If the res is as big as the res of the
display than it's perfect (for the PSP only). Further, I wouldn't

> ohh you're totally right. If the res is as big as the res of the
> display than it's perfect. Further, I wouldn't contest that it's going
> away, just that I personally feel it's a total waste of money. But hey,
> if it has a memory stick slot that's awhole lot better than purchasing
> disks. Curious though; do they give you software to convert to some
> mpeg4 container?

I may buy 1 UMD in the next year and that will be the recently announced
Chappelle's Show season 2 UMD. Otherwise, I think an additional hi capacity
hard drive, Netflix, bittorrent, DVD shrink and pspvideo9 will be all I need
to enjoy every TV show or movie I could ever want.

pspvideo9 converts everything I have thrown at it. The only one that has
taken some configuration has been Sin City. Its an awesome program. I
occasionally play games on my PSP but I use it more for handheld video
playback or photo storage than anything else.

theone

you know what, I stand corrected. While I still feel the buying of
minature DVDs is still a waste, I've browsed through many feature
length articles today in the newest issue of CPU. Really innovative
hacking going on with that thing. Everything from web browsing to a
remote control for the Tivo/TV etc.. In the near future, they're even
talking using it as a Skype Handheld phone. That's reallly cool.You
mentioned hard drive. Can you put a micro drive in those things? or is
it just memory stick? I would imagine only the latter (which sux) but
your statement leaves promise.

BTW, did you know Sony is talking about releasing a public SDK for the
PSP.

FYI, I've also read that

theone

also ,speaking of movies, I'm picking up that Ong Bak that you
mentioned b4. Have you seen it yet. I've heard really good things....so
I'm giving it a shot......as well as Battle Royale and Oldboy off a
kid's suggestion.

ohhh, I 4got...."I'm Rick James Beyotttchh!" lol....

> you know what, I stand corrected. While I still feel the buying of
> minature DVDs is still a waste, I've browsed through many feature
> length articles today in the newest issue of CPU. Really innovative
> hacking going on with that thing. Everything from web browsing to a
> remote control for the Tivo/TV etc.. In the near future, they're even
> talking using it as a Skype Handheld phone. That's reallly cool.You
> mentioned hard drive. Can you put a micro drive in those things? or is
> it just memory stick? I would imagine only the latter (which sux) but
> your statement leaves promise.

I was refering to an additional hard drive on my PC so that I can store all
of the movies and Tivo media I want to convert but the USB 2.0 functionality
of the PSP does leave many options open.

> BTW, did you know Sony is talking about releasing a public SDK for the
> PSP.
>
> FYI, I've also read that

SDK?