Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Network usb drive asking for username and password

Last response: in Networking
May 1, 2011 1:49:58 AM

I have a Cisco e300 router with a usb harddrive connected to it. I am able to map the drive fine on the first computer, but on 2 other computers it asks for a user name and password when trying to map the drive. All computers are running windows 7. Thanks for any help!

More about : network usb drive username password

Best solution

May 1, 2011 12:46:02 PM

Insistence on every machine having a password is very much a Windows 7 thing but you can get rid it in Network and Sharing Centre>Network>scroll down to "Turn off password protected sharing" then click Apply and Ok your way out. After a restart, it will work properly but you need to do this on all three W7 systems.

May 1, 2011 2:35:20 PM

all 3 systems have password protected sharing turned off and have been restarted and is still asking for username and password when i try to connect to the drive connected to the router.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2011 3:14:28 PM

Is that drive set to share its contents? Does it show in the Network as a Plug and Pray Device? Maybe there's some mor ehelp for you in Moderator Mr. Face's Sticky Post from the W7 sub-Forum

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/13925-47-enabling-f...

which also applies to W7 on W7 networking as well as XP and Vista.

m
l
May 1, 2011 3:17:11 PM

I have solved the problem. On the router i had to set up a new group that could read and write. I now have a problem where when i access the network hard drive, it is extreamly slow to open. Any ideas on this part. Thanks!!
m
l
May 1, 2011 5:43:21 PM

Is it a laptop hard disk, spinning at only 5,400 r.p.m. as against your PC disks 7,200?
m
l
May 1, 2011 7:08:34 PM

its a regular external hard disk, running at 7200 rpm. I used it on my computer before and ran fine. But when i try to access it now through the router, it is really really slow to load.
m
l
May 8, 2011 12:49:39 AM

Best answer selected by kr0490.
m
l
!