Network usb drive asking for username and password

kr0490

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I have a Cisco e300 router with a usb harddrive connected to it. I am able to map the drive fine on the first computer, but on 2 other computers it asks for a user name and password when trying to map the drive. All computers are running windows 7. Thanks for any help!

Solution

Insistence on every machine having a password is very much a Windows 7 thing but you can get rid it in Network and Sharing Centre>Network>scroll down to "Turn off password protected sharing" then click Apply and Ok your way out. After a restart, it will work properly but you need to do this on all three W7 systems.

Insistence on every machine having a password is very much a Windows 7 thing but you can get rid it in Network and Sharing Centre>Network>scroll down to "Turn off password protected sharing" then click Apply and Ok your way out. After a restart, it will work properly but you need to do this on all three W7 systems.

Solution

kr0490

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
all 3 systems have password protected sharing turned off and have been restarted and is still asking for username and password when i try to connect to the drive connected to the router.

kr0490

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I have solved the problem. On the router i had to set up a new group that could read and write. I now have a problem where when i access the network hard drive, it is extreamly slow to open. Any ideas on this part. Thanks!!

kr0490

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
its a regular external hard disk, running at 7200 rpm. I used it on my computer before and ran fine. But when i try to access it now through the router, it is really really slow to load.