Sign in with
Your question

AMD Radeon HD 6950 installation help!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2012 8:30:00 PM

Okay, so ive correctly installed my new graphics card. I slid it in the correct slot, and connected the PCI-E 6 pin cords. Now, when I boot up my pc, the monitor display doesn't show meaning the screen stays completely black. No cursor. Nothing. However, it DOES play the Windows Startup sound. Ive installed the right drivers and am pretty sure my system meets the requirements. Alternatively I can just leave one PCI-E cord in and the other one not. Then i PC will boot up with display and all.Including the GPU fan running loudly and a red light showing on the GPU's circuit board. Buuuuuut my system doesnt recognize it in the Device Manager, etc. So my theory is that its not really operating. BTW it's my first time here and from what Ive seen it seems like a great place for advice. Thank you :) 

P.S.I have disabled the onboard graphics in the device manger AND BIOS.
a c 86 U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 8:32:22 PM

maybe a stupid question but i have to ask: have you connected the monitor into the card and not into the vga output on the motherboard?
m
l
February 18, 2012 9:40:06 PM

um. no i didnt *facepalm* but now when i decided to upgrade to hdmi (both the monitor and the card have a HDMI port) and plug the hdmi cord into both, the monitor says "no vga cable connected" 2 days of researching just to find out that i forgot the simplest step and now this. You helped me make a step toward my complete build so thank you. if anyone can tell me how to fix the latter problem it would help tremendously.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2012 10:08:56 PM

I think you may have to select on the monitor which input you are using. Scroll through the menus on the monitor and see if there is a setting you need to change.
m
l
February 19, 2012 5:55:06 PM

i figured it out. After plugging the vga between the motherboard and the monitor and the hdmi between the GPU and monitor. the screen worked but the system still didnt recognize the GPU. but suddenly the red light mentioned previously disappeared. i checked the device manager and where my old onboard gpu used be it said "standard VGA adapter" i updated the drivers on that and BAM! IT WORKED.
m
l
a c 86 U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 5:59:11 PM

the card really needs both pcie power plugs to be connected, the red light is a warning light for inadequate power. I think... though pretty sure. :p 
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:38:31 PM

BamboolessPanda said:
i figured it out. After plugging the vga between the motherboard and the monitor and the hdmi between the GPU and monitor. the screen worked but the system still didnt recognize the GPU. but suddenly the red light mentioned previously disappeared. i checked the device manager and where my old onboard gpu used be it said "standard VGA adapter" i updated the drivers on that and BAM! IT WORKED.

Great, glad to hear you got it working.
m
l
!