Sign in with
Your question

Building a new sytem $1500 budget

Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2012 6:42:18 PM

Hey guys I am new to building computers and I am wanting to put my own system together. I will not be building a system for awhile but I am wanting to learn more and see what your opinions are about the builds.

Approximate Purchase Date: In 3 months or so...

Budget Range: $1,200-$1500 if I can get away with a cheaper build it would be great.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, Programming, Gaming, Media, Internet browsing etc....

Parts Not Required: I have a good headset so I wont need good speakers or a expensive sound card.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Tigerdirect, Ebay, Amazon.

Country: (e.g.: India) we need to know where these parts are being assembled

Parts Preferences: Intel i7 or i5 processor. I would like a case that has good cable management like the corsair cases.

Overclocking: Maybe/ Would I want OC my system for what I am doing?

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: I want a system that will last me for at least 3 years. I would like to have a system that will be compatible with future processors so I can just upgrade the processor and memory...and other little things.

What I would like to have built...but just want to see what you guys think.

Processor: i7 3820 or any best i7 for my needs
Motherboard: AsRock x79 Extreme 6 (I dont know much about motherboards)
Case: Corsair 650d (I dont really know at this point)
Memory: Corsair 16gb 1600 DDR3
Hard Drive: 2tb Brand?
SSD: 120gb Brand?
Operating System: Windows 7 or wait to see how Windows 8 goes
Power Supply: ?
Cooling: ?
Video Card: Radeon 6870 or mid level gaming card
Optical Drive: Bluray and normal dvd drive
Monitor: 24"-27" or smaller eyefinity setup
Keyboard: Gaming or regular...
Mouse: Gaming or regular...

Right now I am just trying to learn more and find out more about the components of the systems. All feedback is appreciated and will be taken in to consideration when I buy a setup later.

I will not be doing intensive gaming on this system but I would like to be able to run the best games on at least 60fps on ultra settings.

April 26, 2012 6:44:10 PM

I will be using all of the Adobe Cs5 programs and will be doing 3d work also.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 6:52:52 PM

change your case to a full tower, like a Cooler Master Storm trooper. I recommended the 650D and the trooper and the guy only took minutes before he decided on the trooper. Its a great case with cable management for clean looking builds.

Western digital HDD
Kingston or Patriot for SSD, i know there are better but those two are the brands i am most familiar with.
Don't get a 6870 when you can get a 7850 for just a little more.
Power supply: i recommend atleast a 650-750 watt power supply, because you never know when everything you add in the future may overload on the lowest you go.

You won't be able to do surround/eye finity on one 6870. You need a 7950, 7970 or GTX 680 to handle multi monitors unless you do SLI/Crossfire.
Related resources
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 6:53:19 PM

I can answer a couple of these, I'll defer to someone else about the parts I don't.

PSU- Corsair TX750v2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive- Seagate and Western Digital are both equally good choices. Since you're going with an SSD as your primary, dont be afraid of cheaper solutions in the SATA II market. I got a 2TB Seagate SATA II 5900RPM (don't worry too much about RPMs when picking a harddrive, since its largely a myth that substantial RPMs increase their performance, all it really does is draw more power) from Best buy (in store-not online) for about 120 bucks a couple months ago, last time I looked the same model was 30 dollars more on both newegg and tigerdirect.

Windows7- If you're a college student, or know someone who is, you might want to find about about Microsoft Academic Alliance. I got Windows7 for free and I'm able to install it on as many computers as I want with the same product key.

Keyboard- Personally I one of those Microsoft Ergonomic (curved) keyboards, had it a couple years and I love it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video card- 6870 isn't a bad choice at the mid level

Case- Thats a nice case, it really depends on your tastes with cases. I personally have an NZXT Phantom, I love that too. (So much love in my post eh?) Its a huge full tower case, lots of room for expansion, very well made and durable.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
April 26, 2012 7:35:00 PM

Quote:
change your case to a full tower, like a Cooler Master Storm trooper. I recommended the 650D and the trooper and the guy only took minutes before he decided on the trooper. Its a great case with cable management for clean looking builds.

What about the NZXT Switch 810? I am not a big fan of the look of the trooper...I just threw out the corsair because I knew and liked the case. Thanks a lot for the response :) 

Quote:
You won't be able to do surround/eye finity on one 6870. You need a 7950, 7970 or GTX 680 to handle multi monitors unless you do SLI/Crossfire.

Do you suggest Crossfiring two 6870s or just getting one of the above cards? It is really not that big of a deal to me whether or not I have multiple monitors, I thought it would be a nice touch though. Is it worth the extra money?

Quote:
Keyboard- Personally I one of those Microsoft Ergonomic (curved) keyboards, had it a couple years and I love it.

Would this work for gaming as well because I like the look and it appears comfortable...The price is great as well :) 
April 26, 2012 7:47:18 PM

Quote:
Would this work for gaming as well because I like the look and it appears comfortable...The price is great as well :) 

Depends on what you want. Some gaming keyboards have programmable macros and stuff, if you want that, then you'd have to get another keyboard. Other than that, I paid 60 for it from Staples years ago, so yea the price is nice. Yes the keyboard is very nice to use.

When I bought it (like I said, couple years ago) I had to basically teach myself to type all over again. Since by habit I used to use my index finger on my right hand to hit the G, T and B keys, and vice versa for left hand on Y, H and N (with a keyboard that doesnt have the keys divided thats not a problem), but once I sorted that out (didn't take long) I can key about 70-75 words per minute on a good day with it.
April 26, 2012 8:11:28 PM

nekulturny said:
Quote:

Depends on what you want. Some gaming keyboards have programmable macros and stuff, if you want that, then you'd have to get another keyboard. Other than that, I paid 60 for it from Staples years ago, so yea the price is nice. Yes the keyboard is very nice to use.

When I bought it (like I said, couple years ago) I had to basically teach myself to type all over again. Since by habit I used to use my index finger on my right hand to hit the G, T and B keys, and vice versa for left hand on Y, H and N (with a keyboard that doesnt have the keys divided thats not a problem), but once I sorted that out (didn't take long) I can key about 70-75 words per minute on a good day with it.

The only problem I think I might have with this keyboard is that the reviews said the keys broke quite easily.
April 26, 2012 11:36:50 PM

Robopolo said:
The only problem I think I might have with this keyboard is that the reviews said the keys broke quite easily.

Well, I don't want to talk you into it if you decided to give it a pass (its only a keyboard), but I had to think about how old this one is. I bought it, I still lived in Pennsylvania at the time, so that would that would be mid 2009, when I was still using my old Dell 8200. In early 2011 I got a laptop, so this keyboard sat around in semi-storage up until February of this year when I build the system in my sig. It was moved several times because it was in the way (I have pretty limited space, hail the poor college student!), occasionally it was moved rougher than it should have been (meaning I threw it) for a 60 dollar keyboard. And I can say it still works 100 percent, no broken keys.
April 27, 2012 12:05:04 AM

I really wouldn't recommend getting the i7 3820. You'd be better suited with a 2600K which would perform nearly the same, overclock more easily because it's multiplier unlocked, and be paired with a motherboard that also costs much less.
April 27, 2012 3:00:38 AM

aicom said:
I really wouldn't recommend getting the i7 3820. You'd be better suited with a 2600K which would perform nearly the same, overclock more easily because it's multiplier unlocked, and be paired with a motherboard that also costs much less.

I am not buying this system right away so I am all ears for suggestions. The only reason I am going with that motherboard is so I wont have to upgrade it later for next years processors. As for the 2600k and the 3820 I believe you are right about them performing the same, but why not get the 3820 if they are about the same price? Thanks for the response.
!