Nokia 6600. Sharing internet through Bluetooth.

Tags:
  • Nokia
  • Bluetooth
  • Internet
Last response: in Brands
April 28, 2004 7:28:57 PM

Hey ya'll. Have been following this group for a while
since it has always held a good degree of quality answers.

Now to my question.

I have bought a Nokia 6600 and was looking forward to
connecting it to my computer and share the internet through
bluetooth.

When I first tried I was told this was fixed with the new
firmware that was out. Cool I thought and turned it in and
got it updated.

When I got it back I had the new firmware and I thought
everything was allright and tried again... Still couldn't
use my computers internet connection.

I asked again in the IRC place where they told me to upgrade
my firmware, and they told me that Nokia 6600 couldn't
connect to internet through Bluetooth at all. Whatever I did.

I was wondering if this was true, if it is not true, how do
I do it?

All answers are appreciated. Thanks!

More about : nokia 6600 sharing internet bluetooth

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 7:56:44 PM

"Giddorah" <giddorah@home.se> wrote in message
> Hey ya'll. Have been following this group for a while
> since it has always held a good degree of quality answers.
>
> Now to my question.
>
> I have bought a Nokia 6600 and was looking forward to
> connecting it to my computer and share the internet through
> bluetooth.
>
> When I first tried I was told this was fixed with the new
> firmware that was out. Cool I thought and turned it in and
> got it updated.

Well, I think you've read the posts on this newsgroup a little too
optomistically.. it was never said for sure it would work .. just that it
was the only chance .. the original 3.* firmware for the phone CANNOT use
the 'net via bluetooth, due to nokia's implementation of WAP 2.0 .. The new
firmware was suggested as a possible solution, in the hope that nokia fixed
the "bug".

> When I got it back I had the new firmware and I thought
> everything was allright and tried again... Still couldn't
> use my computers internet connection.

Obviously, they havn't.

> I asked again in the IRC place where they told me to upgrade
> my firmware, and they told me that Nokia 6600 couldn't
> connect to internet through Bluetooth at all. Whatever I did.

If the current firmware doesnt alter the connection setups, then no. it
cannot.

> I was wondering if this was true, if it is not true, how do
> I do it?
>
> All answers are appreciated. Thanks!
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 7:56:45 PM

I wonder is this going to be cas with all future Nokia's with WAP 2.0 ,
like Nokia 7610 or they are aware of this problem and maybe fix it ??

Thsat one of reasons I give up bying 6600 and considering 7610...

"Lord-Data" <data@ihug.com.au> wrote in message

> "Giddorah" <giddorah@home.se> wrote in message
> > Hey ya'll. Have been following this group for a while
> > since it has always held a good degree of quality answers.
> >
> > Now to my question.
> >
> > I have bought a Nokia 6600 and was looking forward to
> > connecting it to my computer and share the internet through
> > bluetooth.
> >
> > When I first tried I was told this was fixed with the new
> > firmware that was out. Cool I thought and turned it in and
> > got it updated.
>
> Well, I think you've read the posts on this newsgroup a little too
> optomistically.. it was never said for sure it would work .. just that it
> was the only chance .. the original 3.* firmware for the phone CANNOT use
> the 'net via bluetooth, due to nokia's implementation of WAP 2.0 .. The
new
> firmware was suggested as a possible solution, in the hope that nokia
fixed
> the "bug".
>

> > When I got it back I had the new firmware and I thought
> > everything was allright and tried again... Still couldn't
> > use my computers internet connection.
>
> Obviously, they havn't.
>

> > I asked again in the IRC place where they told me to upgrade
> > my firmware, and they told me that Nokia 6600 couldn't
> > connect to internet through Bluetooth at all. Whatever I did.
>
> If the current firmware doesnt alter the connection setups, then no. it
> cannot.
>

> > I was wondering if this was true, if it is not true, how do
> > I do it?
> >
> > All answers are appreciated. Thanks!

April 29, 2004 11:07:39 PM

Time will tell I guess .. depends on if it is a "bug" as such, or a
"feature"..

Perhaps the network providers have suggested to nokia that it might be in
theyr interests to force people to use gprs .. :)

"Jozo" <mrzim_spam.j_klapiric@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I wonder is this going to be cas with all future Nokia's with WAP 2.0 ,
> like Nokia 7610 or they are aware of this problem and maybe fix it ??
>
> Thsat one of reasons I give up bying 6600 and considering 7610...
>

> "Lord-Data" <data@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "Giddorah" <giddorah@home.se> wrote in message
> > > Hey ya'll. Have been following this group for a while
> > > since it has always held a good degree of quality answers.
> > >
> > > Now to my question.
> > >
> > > I have bought a Nokia 6600 and was looking forward to
> > > connecting it to my computer and share the internet through
> > > bluetooth.
> > >
> > > When I first tried I was told this was fixed with the new
> > > firmware that was out. Cool I thought and turned it in and
> > > got it updated.
> >
> > Well, I think you've read the posts on this newsgroup a little too
> > optomistically.. it was never said for sure it would work .. just that
it
> > was the only chance .. the original 3.* firmware for the phone CANNOT
use
> > the 'net via bluetooth, due to nokia's implementation of WAP 2.0 .. The
> new
> > firmware was suggested as a possible solution, in the hope that nokia
> fixed
> > the "bug".
> >

> > > When I got it back I had the new firmware and I thought
> > > everything was allright and tried again... Still couldn't
> > > use my computers internet connection.
> >
> > Obviously, they havn't.
> >

> > > I asked again in the IRC place where they told me to upgrade
> > > my firmware, and they told me that Nokia 6600 couldn't
> > > connect to internet through Bluetooth at all. Whatever I did.
> >
> > If the current firmware doesnt alter the connection setups, then no. it
> > cannot.
> >

> > > I was wondering if this was true, if it is not true, how do
> > > I do it?
> > >
> > > All answers are appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 11:07:40 PM

> Time will tell I guess .. depends on if it is a "bug" as such, or a
> "feature"..
>
> Perhaps the network providers have suggested to nokia that it might be in
> theyr interests to force people to use gprs .. :)

Yes, it might be that GSM providers have a deal with Nokia to disable this
feature. It's sure that nobody likes losing money.

I know for fact that some earlier Nokia models are able to do this , as well
Sonny Erricson.

Actually it irritates me that you cannot get any feedback from Nokia about
issues like this , they like act misterious .... well it might cost them
that some potential byers swich to other brands (like me :) )... as you
said time will tell

> "Jozo" <mrzim_spam.j_klapiric@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I wonder is this going to be cas with all future Nokia's with WAP 2.0 ,
> > like Nokia 7610 or they are aware of this problem and maybe fix it ??
> >
> > Thsat one of reasons I give up bying 6600 and considering 7610...
> >

> > "Lord-Data" <data@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Giddorah" <giddorah@home.se> wrote in message

> > > Well, I think you've read the posts on this newsgroup a little too
> > > optomistically.. it was never said for sure it would work .. just that
> it
> > > was the only chance .. the original 3.* firmware for the phone CANNOT
> use
> > > the 'net via bluetooth, due to nokia's implementation of WAP 2.0 ..
The
> > new
> > > firmware was suggested as a possible solution, in the hope that nokia
> > fixed
> > > the "bug".

> > > Obviously, they havn't.

> > > If the current firmware doesnt alter the connection setups, then no.
it
> > > cannot.

Anonymous
April 30, 2004 1:40:01 AM

> "Lord-Data" <data@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> > Time will tell I guess .. depends on if it is a "bug" as such, or a
> > "feature"..
> >
> > Perhaps the network providers have suggested to nokia that it might be
in
> > theyr interests to force people to use gprs .. :)
> >
> Yes, it might be that GSM providers have a deal with Nokia to disable this
> feature. It's sure that nobody likes losing money.
>
> I know for fact that some earlier Nokia models are able to do this , as
well
> Sonny Erricson.

Nokia WAP 1.1 phones do it, the 6600 is WAP 2.0 tho .. thats the difference
... but theres no reason (that I can tell) that WAP 2.0 by itself cant work
that way .. its just nokia dont provide access to one crucial setting .. the
"gateway ip" setting.

> Actually it irritates me that you cannot get any feedback from Nokia about
> issues like this , they like act misterious .... well it might cost them
> that some potential byers swich to other brands (like me :) )... as you
> said time will tell

The deal with providers is probably not so much a pure money deal, more as a
"networks will favour/bundle nokia handsets" .. ever noticed that both
pre-paid (PAYG) and low-end plans are usually nokia phones?

> > "Jozo" <mrzim_spam.j_klapiric@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I wonder is this going to be cas with all future Nokia's with WAP 2.0
,
> > > like Nokia 7610 or they are aware of this problem and maybe fix it ??
> > >
> > > Thsat one of reasons I give up bying 6600 and considering 7610...
> > >

> > > "Lord-Data" <data@ihug.com.au> wrote in message

> > it
CANNOT
> > use
> The
> > > new
> > > fixed

> it

Anonymous
April 30, 2004 1:40:02 AM

> Nokia WAP 1.1 phones do it, the 6600 is WAP 2.0 tho .. thats the
difference
> .. but theres no reason (that I can tell) that WAP 2.0 by itself cant work
> that way .. its just nokia dont provide access to one crucial setting ..
the
> "gateway ip" setting.

Are you sure about this? This site;

http://www.zidango.com/helpmanualsettings.jsp

mentions accessing the gateway ip setting on the 6600
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 8:50:14 PM

I'd say theyv copied and pasted that from another phones step by step guide
... That setting is not present on the 6600.

"Rob Tompsett" <rob.N0SpaM.@rtphoto.net> wrote in message

> "Lord-Data" <data@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> > Nokia WAP 1.1 phones do it, the 6600 is WAP 2.0 tho .. thats the
> difference
> > .. but theres no reason (that I can tell) that WAP 2.0 by itself cant
work
> > that way .. its just nokia dont provide access to one crucial setting ..
> the
> > "gateway ip" setting.
>
> Are you sure about this? This site;
>
> http://www.zidango.com/helpmanualsettings.jsp
>
> mentions accessing the gateway ip setting on the 6600

Anonymous
April 30, 2004 8:50:15 PM

ah. I wonder if a patch exists.
!