Nokia 6600. Sharing internet through Bluetooth.

Hey ya'll. Have been following this group for a while
since it has always held a good degree of quality answers.

Now to my question.

I have bought a Nokia 6600 and was looking forward to
connecting it to my computer and share the internet through
bluetooth.

When I first tried I was told this was fixed with the new
firmware that was out. Cool I thought and turned it in and
got it updated.

When I got it back I had the new firmware and I thought
everything was allright and tried again... Still couldn't
use my computers internet connection.

I asked again in the IRC place where they told me to upgrade
my firmware, and they told me that Nokia 6600 couldn't
connect to internet through Bluetooth at all. Whatever I did.

I was wondering if this was true, if it is not true, how do
I do it?

All answers are appreciated. Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about nokia 6600 sharing internet bluetooth

    "Giddorah" <giddorah@home.se> wrote in message
    > Hey ya'll. Have been following this group for a while
    > since it has always held a good degree of quality answers.
    >
    > Now to my question.
    >
    > I have bought a Nokia 6600 and was looking forward to
    > connecting it to my computer and share the internet through
    > bluetooth.
    >
    > When I first tried I was told this was fixed with the new
    > firmware that was out. Cool I thought and turned it in and
    > got it updated.

    Well, I think you've read the posts on this newsgroup a little too
    optomistically.. it was never said for sure it would work .. just that it
    was the only chance .. the original 3.* firmware for the phone CANNOT use
    the 'net via bluetooth, due to nokia's implementation of WAP 2.0 .. The new
    firmware was suggested as a possible solution, in the hope that nokia fixed
    the "bug".

    > When I got it back I had the new firmware and I thought
    > everything was allright and tried again... Still couldn't
    > use my computers internet connection.

    Obviously, they havn't.

    > I asked again in the IRC place where they told me to upgrade
    > my firmware, and they told me that Nokia 6600 couldn't
    > connect to internet through Bluetooth at all. Whatever I did.

    If the current firmware doesnt alter the connection setups, then no. it
    cannot.

    > I was wondering if this was true, if it is not true, how do
    > I do it?
    >
    > All answers are appreciated. Thanks!

    I wonder is this going to be cas with all future Nokia's with WAP 2.0 ,
    like Nokia 7610 or they are aware of this problem and maybe fix it ??

    Thsat one of reasons I give up bying 6600 and considering 7610...

    "Lord-Data" <data@ihug.com.au> wrote in message

    > "Giddorah" <giddorah@home.se> wrote in message
    > > Hey ya'll. Have been following this group for a while
    > > since it has always held a good degree of quality answers.
    > >
    > > Now to my question.
    > >
    > > I have bought a Nokia 6600 and was looking forward to
    > > connecting it to my computer and share the internet through
    > > bluetooth.
    > >
    > > When I first tried I was told this was fixed with the new
    > > firmware that was out. Cool I thought and turned it in and
    > > got it updated.
    >
    > Well, I think you've read the posts on this newsgroup a little too
    > optomistically.. it was never said for sure it would work .. just that it
    > was the only chance .. the original 3.* firmware for the phone CANNOT use
    > the 'net via bluetooth, due to nokia's implementation of WAP 2.0 .. The
    new
    > firmware was suggested as a possible solution, in the hope that nokia
    fixed
    > the "bug".
    >

    > > When I got it back I had the new firmware and I thought
    > > everything was allright and tried again... Still couldn't
    > > use my computers internet connection.
    >
    > Obviously, they havn't.
    >

    > > I asked again in the IRC place where they told me to upgrade
    > > my firmware, and they told me that Nokia 6600 couldn't
    > > connect to internet through Bluetooth at all. Whatever I did.
    >
    > If the current firmware doesnt alter the connection setups, then no. it
    > cannot.
    >

    > > I was wondering if this was true, if it is not true, how do
    > > I do it?
    > >
    > > All answers are appreciated. Thanks!

    Time will tell I guess .. depends on if it is a "bug" as such, or a
    "feature"..

    Perhaps the network providers have suggested to nokia that it might be in
    theyr interests to force people to use gprs .. :)

    > Time will tell I guess .. depends on if it is a "bug" as such, or a
    > "feature"..
    >
    > Perhaps the network providers have suggested to nokia that it might be in
    > theyr interests to force people to use gprs .. :)

    Yes, it might be that GSM providers have a deal with Nokia to disable this
    feature. It's sure that nobody likes losing money.

    I know for fact that some earlier Nokia models are able to do this , as well
    Sonny Erricson.

    Actually it irritates me that you cannot get any feedback from Nokia about
    issues like this , they like act misterious .... well it might cost them
    that some potential byers swich to other brands (like me :))... as you
    said time will tell

    > "Lord-Data" <data@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Time will tell I guess .. depends on if it is a "bug" as such, or a
    > > "feature"..
    > >
    > > Perhaps the network providers have suggested to nokia that it might be
    in
    > > theyr interests to force people to use gprs .. :)
    > >
    > Yes, it might be that GSM providers have a deal with Nokia to disable this
    > feature. It's sure that nobody likes losing money.
    >
    > I know for fact that some earlier Nokia models are able to do this , as
    well
    > Sonny Erricson.

    Nokia WAP 1.1 phones do it, the 6600 is WAP 2.0 tho .. thats the difference
    ... but theres no reason (that I can tell) that WAP 2.0 by itself cant work
    that way .. its just nokia dont provide access to one crucial setting .. the
    "gateway ip" setting.

    > Actually it irritates me that you cannot get any feedback from Nokia about
    > issues like this , they like act misterious .... well it might cost them
    > that some potential byers swich to other brands (like me :))... as you
    > said time will tell

    The deal with providers is probably not so much a pure money deal, more as a
    "networks will favour/bundle nokia handsets" .. ever noticed that both
    pre-paid (PAYG) and low-end plans are usually nokia phones?

    > Nokia WAP 1.1 phones do it, the 6600 is WAP 2.0 tho .. thats the
    difference
    > .. but theres no reason (that I can tell) that WAP 2.0 by itself cant work
    > that way .. its just nokia dont provide access to one crucial setting ..
    the
    > "gateway ip" setting.

    Are you sure about this? This site;

    http://www.zidango.com/helpmanualsettings.jsp

    mentions accessing the gateway ip setting on the 6600

    I'd say theyv copied and pasted that from another phones step by step guide
    ... That setting is not present on the 6600.

    "Rob Tompsett" <rob.N0SpaM.@rtphoto.net> wrote in message

    > "Lord-Data" <data@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Nokia WAP 1.1 phones do it, the 6600 is WAP 2.0 tho .. thats the
    > difference
    > > .. but theres no reason (that I can tell) that WAP 2.0 by itself cant
    work
    > > that way .. its just nokia dont provide access to one crucial setting ..
    > the
    > > "gateway ip" setting.
    >
    > Are you sure about this? This site;
    >
    > http://www.zidango.com/helpmanualsettings.jsp
    >
    > mentions accessing the gateway ip setting on the 6600

    ah. I wonder if a patch exists.

Nokia Bluetooth Internet