Needing a new PSU

G

Hello there everyone, I'm not the most techy person but I can put together a computer if all the components are matching with their sockets and such.
But I'm looking for a new PSU since my old one went down. I'm gonna post all my specs so I hope you guys can find one that would fit ;)

AMD 3.60GHz (4.20GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 8-Core Processor
Specification:
- 8-Cores
- Unlocked
- 16MB Cache
- DDR3-1866
- 3600MHz Clock
- 4200MHz Turbo

Asus Sabertooth Motherboard
AM3+ Support, AMD 990FX Chipset, ATX Form Factor,
DDR3 2133(OC)/1866/1600/1333 (max 32GB),
4x USB3.0, 14x USB2.0, 6x SATA 6Gb/s,
2x SATA 3Gb/s, 4x PCI-E x16 (single at x16, dual x16/x16, tri x16/x8/x8),
Supports NVIDIARegistered trademark symbol SLITrademark symbol/ATIRegistered trademark symbol CrossFireXTrademark symbol Technology,
8 Channel HD Audio.

8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 17100C10 2133MHz Dual Channel kit

1TB 7200.12rpm SATA III 6Gb/s transfer rate Hard Drive - HDD
• Interface: SATA 6Gb/s.
• 7200rpm Rotation Speed.
• 64 MB cache.
• 1TB Capacity.

Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

And I think I'm using a
650W Xtreme Power Supply
But I'm not really sure about that, I hope you guys can get to this topic quick since my main pc is down, which is my gaming pc. :) Let me know if you need more info.

A good 400-450W PSu is sufficient for that build and some overclocking. If you want to upgrade the GPU to a higher end unit and OC then I would go for a good quality 500-550W PSU. What's your budget? Where are you buying?

G

I'm buying where ever I can find which PSU I need, but I am at somepoint gonna add a extra video card. But right now i just want a PSU for my computer so i can get it up and running again.

XFX PSUs are typically great deals in the EU...you should be able to get the XFX Core Edition 550W for around 50 Euros and that is a hard deal to beat. The XFX Core 450W will obviously be less and is moe than sufficient for your current build. Great quality PSUs made by Seasonic. What are some of the PSUs that you're looking at? Do you have a site we can take a look at and make recommendations?

No to Crappermaster! Their PSUs are mostly overrated near-junk; looks like that's what you had, so no wonder it failed.
A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification; not so much for the efficiency, but it was tested at 100% of its label which would kill junk. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, Enermax/LEPA, and FSP are among the better brands. Five hundred watts would be enough for your build; 550W-600W if you anticipate a significant graphics card upgrade.

G

Well I am planning on getting a extra video card at somepoint to boost my fps.
But doesn't different PSU's have different plugs? Or something like that?
I just need a link to a powersupply that would fit my computer's demands, and then the plugs on it just need to fit the sockets of my hardware.

All I can say is, i know how to put one in and thats all.

If you're looking at getting a second GTX 560 then you'll need a PSU that has four 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors. Most PSUs below 700-750W do not have that amount of PCIe connectors. The XFX Core 650W does: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014&Tpk=xfx%20core%20650
and so does the Thermaltake Toughpower 675W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600036440&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20 Both are great PSUs but I'd likely go for the XFX becuse it will cost less.

G

@Rugger Will they ship cross sea to EU?
Also will the plugs fit my "stuff"?

They don't ship to the EU but the XFX Core PSUs are readily available in the EU. I just don't know the websites you're going to shopping at over there. Either PSU is electically sufficient for a system with two GTX 560s running in SLI mode and has sufficient power connectors.

G

Haha okay :) Well I'll look for a shop some where that sells it

G

Well I'm ordering the XFX then. Thanks for the help. I hope it'll fit in my computer :)

With your previous PSU issues I would do a minimum build first and add the rest of the components one at a time. In other words, mobo, CPU, 1 stick of RAM, HDD with OS and one GPU. I'd actually breadboard the initial build. If it works well on the breadboard, then I'd shift it into the case. Then you add each component one at a time and test for stability; bad components will cause stability issues or fail to boot. Instructions for breadboarding: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html

G

Alright, i just thought i could put it in and it would work. But I'll see if I can do that too when i get it :) Cheers for the extra help.

You may be able to plug and play. I personally use the above techniques when I'm building a new PC or if I think there is a possibility of running into issues. You could try plug/play; if it works, then great. If not, then you could roll back to the breadboard, basic build and adding components one at a time. Glad I could help - hope the new PSU and your PC work like a charm - Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS